1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How long should a Working Week be? / Mobbing because of a personal home-page

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by smalltalk, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Ozz

Ozz Deity

6 hours a day is the optminium for productivty, the was found
    by an study during the 2nd world war in Britain. It is not used
    due to social benefits costs versus a fourth shift.

Source : Churchills history of the second world war.

2. thestonesfan

thestonesfan A Client of Ron Kuby

Then I'd be the biggest hypocrite in the universe.

3. Grille

Grille panel insect

If you substract the coat of freedom of expression here, that's probably fine with me.:)
    But:
    The point is that the company's freedom (to fire people anyone for whatever reason) is contradictionary to the employer's freedom (of expression).
    So obviously, one interpretation of freedom restricts another interpretation of freedom. Of course, the state of dependencies in that example is influencing the final decision on either part (giving one side a little bit more power). But, "freedom of expression" cannot be easily alleged as general rule or basic law here, this story is more about the power to achieve one's freedom (of expression) and restricting another one's freedom in the process.

Anyways, as long as that guy does his work in the way it was agreed on, things should be fine. If that clerk runs a website spreading some ideas that are not damaging the company, who'd give a sh*t? I mean if there's cessation on developing new ideas, we'd still be in the stone age.
    For example, if HighlandWarrior was somehow identified by his employer and gets the sack because he said he'd rather make his total weekly working hour duty in 4 days instead of 5, that'll be just ridiculous, no?

4. EzInKy

EzInKy Excentric

I work three 12 hour shifts. It's like having a four day vacation every week.

5. Knowze Gungk

Knowze Gungk NOT a mushroom

Five hours? The mere thought of such labour...I need a nap.

6. smalltalk

smalltalk monkey business

How come that we in our mechanized, automatized, computerized civilization have to work longer than say an australian aborigine or a south american yanomami?

A yeah: if you want to drive a BMW, build tanks, cruise missiles and aircraft carriers or own a Rolex you have to sacrifice some of your life time...

7. Mopheo

Mopheo Warlord

If you know what your talking bout, I want to know if this is normal for Germany, or an unusual case (most cases I've seen here in the US are very unusual). I'd be really disappointed if most, or all of Germany believes this is right.

8. smalltalk

smalltalk monkey business

I guess this is a very unsual case.

We did have a few political job constraints back in the seventies though: communists could not get some jobs like being a teacher or even a postman.

This was called the radical edict.