How many Ai civs do you play against?

slyone14

Warlord
Just curious what is everyone’s preference for map size and how many civs you play against?
Do you choose the opponents?

Me I always enjoy playing on large maps with 7 or 8 opponents. Always random AI.

I prefer to play on huge maps with maybe 12 total civs, sometimes less, and at most an equal number of city states. Usually still end up running into two other civs by turn 10.

However since the September patch my computer gives me graphics errors on anything larger than a standard map and I have given up on ever finding a fix that works. So I now play on a standard map with 6 total civs and a varying number of city states depending on my mood.

I almost always go random everything possible. My civ, AI civs, shuffle as the map, and random resources. Last 2 games I did choose Lady Six Sky and am currently playing Simon Bolivar but I will go back to random after until we get the next new civs to play with.

Usually 12, huge map. I might increase to 13-15 depending on the map script, if it has a lot of land. I might also increase the number of CS in this type of map. Random AI, unless there's a new leader that I want to see or an achievement that I want to get..

Usually 12, huge map.

Same. After building my computer that is easily able to handle huge maps, it's all I play now days (though I will have to do a smaller map for the End of the World as we know it achievement). Before I never had a computer that could handle it. I sometimes add another civ, but usually I end up too crammed in when I do this, so I stick to the default usually. Though I have played mods that have more.

Whatever the default is on a huge map (12 including me?). On occasion, I'll add an extra civ but remove two or three city-states to balance out the starting positions.

I'm currently tinkering around with Simon Bolivar, having tried and disliked the Mayans.

I play the default number for map size and tend to stick to small/standard/large. Huge is too slow on my PC...

A few times I've played with 1 or 2 civs less than default, which in effect means more religions/natural wonders per civ. For example if playing Spain and not wanting to reroll until I get a GP, and try to balance expansion room by palying high sea level or adding 1-2 CS's. I don't do this often as I fear it skews things to make the game easier.

Duel pangaea map with 3-4 AI:s. No city states. No religious victory.

Always: huge archipelago maps (low sea level) 12 civs, 18 CS, marathon pace.

Thats why I posted this message, its interesting to see how many people play huge map. I just made the step up to Emperor and so im starting with standard. Huge to me is fun but a step up for me for now. With so many civs its really a challenge to get the Wonders and lead in science to me, but eventually I will get up to huge and more civs. I am always random though for the AI cvis, i never ever choose the civs. Does anyone actually choose the civs?

Default number on Large maps. Been thinking I should try to remove one or two lately to see how the game changes.

I feel huge maps would be too much settler spawning, it's enough as it is on large maps.

I usually play with two AI civs less than the default for a given map size, which allows more expansion without conquest. It usually works quite well. Sometimes I manually select my opponents, for different reasons. For example, I pick Sweden when I feel like doing the Nobel competitions, or I pick all the civs manually when I just cannot stand Maori shouting any more and I want to be sure I will not have to hear it.

tiny or small map, but I sometimes increase the civ count by one or to max. usually less than 8 civs in a game. My game starts jarring after renaissance and the diplomacy is tiring in large amount.

Usually large map with default 9 opponents. Sometimes huge or standard. Only small maps if playing on a mobile device. Never duel or tiny. I only change player count away from default on Terra maps.

Top Bottom