-Denmark
-Netherlands
-Romania
-Russia
-Poland
-Lithuania
-Sweden

Mid eastern (3)

-Turkey (replaces ottomans, and start in eastern capadocia, near Ankara)
-Armenia
-Arabia (they start in Bagdad though)

African (4)

-Egypt
-Ethiopia (the map has most of it, so it was a good choice to fill the space as well)
-Algiers
-Morocco

Inner Asian (9)

-Persia
-China
-India
-Japan
-Korea
-Khazar Empire (replaces America)
-Mongolia
-Khmer
-Afganistan (it also fills up space)

note: the (inner) asian civs would have been ten if turkey was starting in central asia

apatheist said:
Maybe to you, but the game shouldn't reflect the poor coverage given to non-Western civilizations in Western schools.

True. But who makes the game? - Western developers who were schooled in Western Schools.

But, this does not mean that they can't get out there and learn about these lesser known civilizations and share that knowledge with the rest of us.

Trade-peror said:
..Besides, who said Civ had to reflect reality, especially the negative aspects of reality? I think a lot of people play Civ to get away from reality...

If you go by the posts of many people on this site, a lot of players. I can't count the number of times I have seen "This should be done this way because it is more realistic"

From Asia/Middle East I would include: Japan, China, India, Babylon :mad:, Persia, Hitties and maybe the Arabs. For the first expansion pack, I would include the Polynesians, Koreans, Ottomans and possibly the Khmer.

hmm... a lot of the early civilizations came from asia (mesopotamia, persia, etc...) i'd have to go for a bit more than 1/3 of the total.

This was a cool thread.
I think I'll bump it...

I'll say, if there are only 18 civilizations to include in the game the following should represent Asia:

Turks:Turkey and south central Asia
Babylon: Cradle of Civilization...
Perisa: First Classical Empire, they had many dynasties from Cyrus through today
Arabs: The originators of Islam and residents from Andalusia to Persia
India: always a heavy-weight
China: ditto
Mongols: Never became sinified (like Japan, Korea, Vietnam) and jump-started the European Renaissance
Japan: In my eyes, these guys are marginal; but if England and Germany are in...

Wow! That's EIGHT. Regardless of which civs are in Civ4. Which civs from Asia would be in your top 18?

I'd overall agree with the general formula
1/3, 1/3 1/6, 1/6

Although once you start getting very large numbers of Civs, it should tend to shift a bit from Europe to Asia (Europe down to about 25-30%, Asia up to 35-40%)

Right now with the low # its
7/18, 1/3, 1/9, 1/6
some shift from Africa to Europe (OK for real low numbers)

I'd overall agree with the general formula
1/3, 1/3 1/6, 1/6

Although once you start getting very large numbers of Civs, it should tend to shift a bit from Europe to Asia (Europe down to about 25-30%, Asia up to 35-40%)

Right now with the low # its
7/18, 1/3, 1/9, 1/6
some shift from Africa to Europe (OK for real low numbers)

koreans siam Kurgan Khumer siberians noh (ancient japanese) they need some more ancient east asian civs maybe the indonesians or Philopeanos.

I'd say something like (my new and improved formula)

3/5 European
3/10 Near East and Far East (Egypt included)
1/10 Amerindian/Pacific (include Polynesia)

and if there's room thrown in an African civ like the Ethiopians.

Top Bottom