How many city states?

Abaxial

Emperor
I have a game which reliably crashes shortly after turn 300. I was trying the barbarian tribes mode, which I don't normally use, and I note that there are 28 city states (this is on a standard map). I'm wondering if the game gives up the ghost trying to work our what all these city states are trying to do. I was also trying out Sukitract's oceans for the first time, if this makes a difference.

I do think that such an overplus of city states is bad design, but what are other peoples' experiences?

I personally dislike barbarian tribes mode because it generates way too many CS for my taste as such a high number makes it hard for me to follow which CS should I care about. Maybe playing this mode while disabling initial CS would make it somewhat interesting.

I like city states. My default game setting is Standard size -1 civ and +2 city states. When I'm playing as a civ that benefits a lot from city states like Tamar and Pericles, I like to also enable the Barbarian mode. I'm curious about why you think an abundance of city states is bad design, though.

I personally dislike barbarian tribes mode because it generates way too many CS for my taste as such a high number makes it hard for me to follow which CS should I care about. Maybe playing this mode while disabling initial CS would make it somewhat interesting.
You have to have an initial CS or the CSs don't form. I don't know why.

I play maxed out Civs and City States on Huge Maps and Marathon Speed, all DLCs and all but 3 of the special modes enabled (with a bunch of UI mods as well). Thats starting with 20 Civs and 28 City States and I almost never get a crash (except for once when there was a mod conflict, or a broken mod, that took me a while to isolate and remove).

If you limit the pool of city states before starting the game, you can prevent this from happening in barbarian clans mode. For example, if I only want maximum 16 city states, I'll usually select about 8 city states to start the game, and limit the pool of city states to 16, so that the other half show up later. Although this is factoring in the fact that the AI love to annex city states, so I know the number get cut down.

Top Bottom