1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How many Civ IV fans are also PIRATES! fans?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by yturk39, Feb 26, 2011.

1. yturk39

yturk39 Warlord

No, I'm not from Firaxis marketing. I'm just a curious gamer, who happens to enjoy both games.

I actually enjoy PIRATES! quite a lot, and find it to have a lot in common with Civ IV. It's almost like a real-time version of the Civ IV, stuck in a single era, where instead of playing as a civ, you get to be the biggest, baddest barb there is, playing all sides (including other barbs / pirates) against each other!

Because of its repetitiveness I don't play it nearly as much as I do Civ IV, but it is a game I can and do enjoy returning to. Anyone else?

P.S. -- I bought Colonization thinking that it would somehow be a bridge between the two games. Maybe it even is...I was just so disappointed with its lack of polish that I never even bothered playing out my first game.

(It looks a lot like a wierd civ mod -- no offense to the modders, out there!)

2. wolkenwand

wolkenwand Chieftain

i like pirates! Too bad some features are not fixed yet even with the latest patch like relationship with monks and natives, and there is some bugs too e.g: sometimes when you land in small island, you well ended in middle in the sea (usually islands on right part of the map). Those are minor flaws though.

And for colonization just play it for short time, good game i think.

3. Demon Rob

Demon Rob Chieftain

We liked pirates too!
    Treat it as fun, not serious.
    I like using a native canoe as my main ship (with a galleon or other large ship to hold supplies).
    It wouldn't have taken too much though to make it MUCH better.

4. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Privateers from pirate bay coming for yer seafoodz...

5. twansalem

twansalem Warlord

I liked Pirates a lot, but I haven't played it in quite a while. It's just not as replayable as CIV.

6. Axios

Axios Warlord

I have both Civ IV and Pirates. But Pirates seems to simple... I want a serious challenge. But when I am tired I play Pirates.

7. babar

babar King

I liked pirates, probably more than it deserved. I agree with others - it's too unfinished, simple and repetitive.

8. Turquoiside

Turquoiside Emperor

I play if every now and then, and up until recently more than CIV.
    Perfecttoku.jpg Hiptok.png

9. snepp

snepp King

Doing the same annoying swordplay/dancing bits over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again got to me after a while.

If there were a way to skip them I'd be all over it again.

10. covok48

covok48 Emperor

I still have pirates for my 20 year old sega genesis, which in my opinion is still the best version. I play the two games interchangeably. I do get tired of the swordfighting, however. But barb fighting in civ is also frustrating and monotonous as well so its a push.

11. kochman

kochman Deity

I love Pirates! Other than the dancing crap... lame.
    The rest is cool. I love seeing how high I can get with every country EXCEPT Spain, whom I ruthlessly slaughter at any and all opportunities, treaties in place or not.
    Nothing against Spain, I love Spain, but I am playing a pirate after all.

12. Cr0wz

Cr0wz Chieftain

YO HO HO and a bottle of rum..CIV isnt even pirate worthy , back to poop deck scrubbing! :lol:

13. Xenobenignitas

Xenobenignitas Chieftain

I had the Amiga CD32 version of Pirates! Gold, and it was pretty good, as with the new one. I did prefer Elite 2: Frontier over them though, despite there being less to do