How many copies (and DLC) do I have to buy for the full game?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Rachsucht, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Rachsucht

Rachsucht Chieftain

2. Wezqu

Wezqu Warlord

It is the complete game. DLC is just bonus material like expansions. Also it would not be anything odd that all the DLC thats released will be available in the later expansions anyway.

3. Rachsucht

Rachsucht Chieftain

I'd just really like to have everything they made, even if it means paying more.

I hope you are right and the next expansion will include the missing features.

4. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

The Cradle of Civilization map pack will be available as a whole in a future DLC.

You are buying the full game no matter where you purchase it, all the other stuff is considered an extra.

5. MasterDinadan

MasterDinadan Warlord

The pre-order bonuses are just map packs. You can make maps and share them on the internet... so I would presume that you could just make an exact duplicate of the pre-order maps and share them if you really just had to have all of them.
    The only "exclusive" item you can get, as far as I know, is the Babylon civ for the Steam deluxe version. The DLC that comes free with the D2D purchase is being released at a later date, and you should be able to purchase the DLC seperately even if they didn't get the D2D version. The babylon civ may be offered seperately at some point too... but don't really know.

6. Avatar_Ko

I'll never understand why people do this. When STO came out you had people buying multiple copies of the game so that they could get things like a Tribble or a Borg Bridge Officer or shiny armor that was only worth using for the first ten levels. Admittedly some of the stuff (like a TOS Constitution class) was cool, but not $50 cool.

7. Selous

Selous King

i wouldnt agree with you there, i would concider everything at release date to be the "full game" aka a "deluxe" version ... but then i dont care for the maps packs and wouldnt hand out extra $$ for them

and i give it 1-2 weeks for all this extra content to be avaliable as DLC ... if not day1

8. Avatar_Ko

Babylon came with the Deluxe edition which both Steam and D2D sold.

9. deanej

deanej Deity

Count me as one of the loons who thinks that everything Firaxis makes for civ5 is the "complete" version, not just the regular edition at launch. Uncertainty about this is one reason why I won't be getting civ5 at release. I would hope that the deluxe content is eventually released separate (I don't have the bandwith necessary to download a game), especially since the manual no longer has an afterward.

10. Robovski

Robovski Chieftain

I'm having similar conflict with Fallout New Vegas. I would consider buy an Uber Ultimo Super Mega Collector's Secret Whatsit pack which had everything for a game I really anticipate loving, like Civ5 or FNV but such things don't seem to exsist. Instead you get a bunch of pre-order exclusives and a collector's edition. Love these games as much as I, I still won't be buying like 5 different copies of FNV. Besides, some pre-orders just aren't available in your region, which is irksome. A completionist is left whistling in the wind or paying through the nose and importing or illegally downloading.

11. zorven

zorven 12,000 Suns

I don't get it. Did I not get a whole car because I didn't upgrade to the Performance Package, moon roof, and larger wheels? :crazyeye:

12. Davor

Davor Prince

Don't forget this is a business. So if you buy a copy from Steam and another copy from D2D say, and got 2 different DLC, you can't add them together, so you will always have a copy that is "incomplete".

Like Fallout: New Vegas. You pre order from Walmart, and pre Order from Steam and pre order from D2D, you can't combine all these items, into one game or account. I could always be wrong, but I do not think that is how pre orders work, other wise, everyone would have them after a few days.

13. faizan

faizan Chieftain

Agreed.

Nothing essential is missing. It's not like the game wont work if you buy the regular pack. You want all the add-on's? then buy them, but it ain't free. It cost them to make those add-on's and if you want them, then you gotta pay for them.

People make up these silly assumptions as if evil sid was plotting to cut the game in half so that he could make double the $$ without any proof.

14. Rachsucht

Rachsucht Chieftain

Difference is I can go to the dealer and buy 1 car with all the extras, if I so wish. I pay a bit more but I don't have to buy 5 cars.

15. Drago Askani

Drago Askani Warlord

The bonus stuff was already mentioned to be available as dlc later on. And no they haven't announced a price point so stop asking.

16. Brota

Brota Warlord

Don't bother with the DLC. The Civ community will make much better mods/maps in no time. Just get the regular version for now and learn the new mechanics.

17. Drago Askani

Drago Askani Warlord

If you are refering to maps and scenarios sure. But I highly doubt the mods will be making fully animated leaders anytime soon. (that look any good)

18. Brota

Brota Warlord

Do you honestly pay attention to animated leaders?

19. Drago Askani

Drago Askani Warlord

The ones in Corsets I do. ;)

20. ~Bamboo~

~Bamboo~ Chieftain

lol

Brota's right though;)