How many games have you finished?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by cairo140, Jan 30, 2006.

?

How many CIV IV campaigns have you done in total?

1. Never Finished Any

17 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. 1-2

51 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. 3-5

48 vote(s)
    22.5%
  4. 6-10

41 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. 11-20

35 vote(s)
    16.4%
  6. 21-30

9 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. 31-50

10 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. 50+

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

I only finished one (my very first one, won before 1 AD on noble), and don't expect to ever finish one again. When i know that i've got the game in hand, i'll quit rather than seeing it through. Once the challenge is gone, so does my interest.

2. licker

licker Chieftain

If I ignore the handful of quick games I started just to see how different set up selections effect the map and what various traits can do early in the game I've played one full serious game and finished it (domination vs. Cy who was getting ready to launch).

I don't have as much time as many other people around here to play though :p

I see that kind of statement alot, and maybe its my playing style or something, but often when it seems you have the game in hand (though this is more from C3C, but also in my one completed C4 game) something odd happens that at least makes the end not quite as clear cut, or your assumed path as smooth as you had expected.

I don't know at what point many people bag the games though. For example in my CiV4 game I was able to secure my entire continent giving me about 42% of the maps land, and a huge prodection edge. At that moment I was slightly ahead in tech, but rather quickly I had fallen behind to the allied nations on the other continent. The fact that they weren't fighting each other also meant that I would have to invade whole and healthy nations, and I couldn't get anyone to join in (as I had nothing to offer them, and they had better relations with each other than with me due to the religion break down).

Even though I was pretty sure I could win via domination, it wasn't nearly as easy as I thought it would have been, and had one of them bothered to build the UN who knows how the early vote might have turned out (before I had the chance to max my home continent pop).

3. Blazer6

Blazer6 King

I would have won more but the computer thought it would be helpful by protecting my games from myself.

4. rainmaker

rainmaker Warlord

I finished 7 . I won all but one of them. At least 3 games I almost finished but ended tthem a turn or two before a certain lose. My pride would not want them in my history.

5. MxxPwr

MxxPwr Chieftain

Three. All hotseat multiplayer (so it took a bit longer as you could imagine): Space Race Victory (which sucked because you couldn't see the launch movie and the winner was player#3 so no record of it in the HOF), timeout victory, and I think someone was going to win an earlier Space Race but v109 came out, so we declared a victor and restarted with v109.

frank

6. Frostyboy

Frostyboy Never Beaten

I try to finish the conquest games, but it gets a bit boring when the victory is close

7. chewbaccad

chewbaccad Chieftain

I must be the freak here... I've finished ~40. Maybe the others who have finished that many are too busy playing to post in the thread :lol:

For those who quit when they're ahead and the game seems in hand, perhaps enabling the Permanent Alliances (if you don't already) would make the endgame more challenging?

8. 12monkeys

12monkeys Prince

I'm close to the end of my first epic game. Never finished one before. The reason : I started to create some mods and improvements which results in no time for playing!
    Heck, I have to change that!!

9. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Sadly, not a lot. I like to try out mods so I never have time to finish my games.

10. cairo140

cairo140 2+2=5

Personally, I tend not to finish too many. Mostly because I lose interest, and start a new game. I've started around 15, finished around 5.

11. sealboy6

sealboy6 Uggy

I just finished my fourth of fifth game today, a culture victory with Frederick.

12. flytyer

flytyer Master Fisherman

I am a score junkie so I finish every game I start unless I just know my scoore will be poor. For me, I like to win...but the score is the best thrill for me!

13. potto

potto Chieftain

Im finding this game far more tricky and therefore engrossing then previous versions, I find that i get conquered if i neglect defensive issues and expand too quickly and I find it difficult to get a lead and maintain that lead, where as before in CIV III once you got the lead it was almost plain sailing and got a bit boring.

14. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

I usually clean up my saved game files after each patch so I can't say for sure, but I'd say I've finished 30+ games (and had several more that I didn't finish). Almost all of those were noble on normal sized maps.

I'm taking a break from Civ IV right now while I'm obsessed with UFO: Aftershock (fun squad-based tactical/strategic game akin to the XCom series).

And then GalCiv2 comes out later this month and it looks to be amazing - I can't wait to see how the AI does.

It'll be a while before I get back to serious Civvin again, but variety is a good thing. :)

15. Alexnm

Alexnm King

I only finished one game so far, my first one - but then I only got the game in January and I don't have that much time to play. I'm currently in the early stages of my second game.

16. Rainlife

Rainlife Chieftain

in most cases i can't finish my game, and before going to bed i retire and watch the replay which will in most cases unravel every mistery unresolved. show where the enemy is, how well i was doing and what little tactical islands can still be conquered, after seeing that i don't feel like continuing the game anymore :)

17. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

I wonder who is the guy who voted 50+! Maybe a beta tester?

18. AncientPlayer

AncientPlayer Warlord

I've probably started 20 games maybe more. Played ~15 beyond just Ancient Era. Finished 4, 2 culture wins, one domination and one spaceship. 1 At warlord, 2 at Noble and one at the next level up from that.

19. A Silly Goose

A Silly Goose Goose of Silliness

I actually haven't finished one yet ><

Same goes for Civ III--in that one, I'd become too weary from the micromanagement to continue.

For Civ IV, it seems like life happens and I end up not playing that specific game for a little while, and then my interest in it just sorta dies off. That and every time a new version of Atlas Map Generator comes out, I end up making a map with it, which I then start a game up on, and...

...Of course, I still feel I get every cent's worth out of Civ IV (and Civ III, as well).

20. Olleus

Olleus Deity

Modern armour + stealth bomber gave me a prince domination victory in 2009. Having 5 cities that could build 1 every turn did help.