1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How many have played this series since Civ 1?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Danielos, Mar 8, 2010.

?

When did you start to play Civilization?

1. Civilization 1

302 vote(s)
    60.4%
  2. Civilization 2

100 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Call to Power-series

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. Civilization 3

56 vote(s)
    11.2%
  5. Civilization 4

37 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. I haven´t started yet, maybe with Civ 5!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

How many of you around here has played Civilization from its first incarnation? I got Civilization 1 for my Amiga 500 in 1993 :old: and after a tough start :coffee: (I wasn´t used to strategy games being this complex and overwhelming) I soon got hooked! It is really an amazing journey that we now 2010 are still playing Civilization and is getting the 5th game in the sequel.

It really have been interesting to study the evolution of this franchise from its first daring steps into this behemoth that is Civ 4 Beyond the Sword. Let´s hope Civ 5 will continue to improve on this wonderful series! :goodjob:

2. eireksten

eireksten Protective/Organized

I remember sitting up all night with a friend playing Civ1 :) Two ten year olds not understanding much of the game, but thinking the Palace building functionality was cool! And getting larger numbers on the cities :p

3. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

i pretty much played just civ1 and 4

4. Clrdk

Clrdk Chieftain

The first game I got to my first PC (386, 2 MB ram and 120 MB HD) back in 1992 was CIV I

5. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

Civ 1 - :thumbsup:
    Amiga 500 - :thumbsup:
    1993 - :thumbsup:

I can still replay in my head the sequence that played while generating the game.
    It has been a very enjoyable journey and in my role as missionary :worship: I have converted at least a dozen people over the years to Civism (including my wife and children :dance:).

@Clrdk: 8 posts since Nov 2001...and I thought my post count was poor!

6. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Elite Commander

Civ I was my first, but I cannot remember when it was... I'm guessing when I owned Amiga 500 in early 90's, but I have no real recollection... :/ Civ II I played at university, when I should have been writing my Master's Thesis and Civ III when I should have been busy creating myself a career and then Civ IV came out just in time to destroy my schedule for finishing my Doctoral Thesis... I wonder what will coincide with Civ V...

7. LordRahl

LordRahl The Objectivist

I also started with Civ I on Amiga 500 in the early 90's. The good old days, and the sad part is, you will never be able to recreate the enjoyment that 1st contact with Civ created.

8. Izanaki

Izanaki Chieftain

Voted Civ2 because it was the first game I played properly, played around a little with Civ1 without understanding it I think, but didn't actually accomplish anything in game before Civilization 2.

I also own every Civ game that has come out since, I even have the CtP games.

9. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

A friend showed me Civ 1 on his Mac when it first got out. I later played the game on the school's computers, some PCs where we had a color version, and a black and white Mac. Civ1 without color was special :D

10. Ituralde

Ituralde Warlord

Started with Civ II, the first PC game I bought together with my brother. Just the manual was daunting, but considering the complexity it did a really good job at pulling in a 12 year old. I have been hooked to the series ever since!

11. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

Civ, Civ 2, Alpha Centauri, Civ 3, Civ 4, ..., plus most of the add ons. No CTP, though.

Petek

12. Insanity_X

Insanity_X Warlord

I had Vanilla Civ 3, never really played it that much (I was still in promary school at the time), so I voted for Civ 4. Sure it ewasnt my first Civ game but it was the first one I played properly.

13. Cilpot

Cilpot Pretentious Schmuck

Started with Civ I on the Amiga sometime in the early 90's. I remember not understanding why cities grew, but was immensly proud when I had the first city of size 10 :goodjob:

14. Chimera1804

Chimera1804 King

I "played" civ 2 with my dad as a four-year old...i really started playing with ToT and CTP though...

15. Duo

Duo Stay out of my territory.

If CivNet counts, then I have been playing it since Civ 1! Took me the longest time to figure out how the game worked. Totally baffled me at the time. I would just found a city and not know what to do after that, couldn't even advance a turn. It didn't come with any sort of manual since it was packaged with the PC. I was 9 at the time though, don't know if that's a valid excuse... But nonetheless I am older and wiser now. :p

16. Drago Askani

Drago Askani Warlord

I started with Civ 3, but you can't really call it started the game wouldnt run well on the pc I had at the time and my friend whos a manager at gamestop let me return it. (like he does with all the games I don't like, its good to have a friend..) Anyways so civ 4 comes out and a few months after its release I decided to give it another go round since I had a much more powerful computer at that point. (this one in fact though shes starting to show her age, almost time to let her go...) Anyways waged many a war in cIV and its expansions and looking forward to doing the same in ciV this fall. More so actually since the worst part of cIV for me was the SoD's.

17. LemonJello

LemonJello Warlord

Been with it since the beginning, running Civ on my trusty Hewlett Packard 286 and it's replacement, a 386! Never bothered with the CTP versions, but I've collected, and still have I, II, III, IV, Colonization and it's reboot as well as Alpha Centauri. One version or another has been with me on every deployment I've been on, and I hooked a couple of my friends on IV while we were in A-stan.

Looking forward to whatever V has to offer.

18. mattigus

mattigus Warlord

I remember watching a friend playing Civ2 when I was around 11. I finally got my own copy, and was hooked. However, my underdeveloped brain didn't understand many of the concepts of the game. I remember one day I was playing and my friend came by, and had to show me how to make terrain improvements. I had no idea I could do that!

19. ninty

ninty Chieftain

I'm proud to say I started with Civ I. It was just by chance. My first computer (x486) came with Civ I and Mantis I think was the other game on the CD. I never played Mantis, because the opening sequence had an alien killing a news reporter, and that always freaked me out, so I played Civ I instead. I think this was a bit after the game came out though. Probably 1992 or 1993.

Civ I > Civ II > Civ II: TOT > Civ: CTP > Civ: CTPII > Civ III > Civ III: Conquests > Civ IV > Civ IV: Warlords > Civ: Rev (iPhone) > Civ V (soon)

I never played SMAC though. I tried it a couple years ago and couldn't really get into it.

20. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Should've included Civ Revolution as an option. I'm sure some people first learned of the Civ series from that game (not me -- I've been playing since Civ II).