How many hours have you spent playing Civilization IV?

How many hours have you spent playing Civilization IV?

• 0-10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11-100

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 101-200

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • 201-500

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • 501-1000

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • 1001-2000

Votes: 22 15.9%
  • 2001-3000

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • 3001-4000

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • 4001+

Votes: 18 13.0%

• Total voters

Jet

No, no, please. Please.
Your best guess.

Include
* playing mods and expansion packs
* playtesting mods
Exclude
* playing Colonization
* modding activity other than playtesting

Uncountable. Let's see. I've had it for 2 1/2 years, and let's say I average 10 minutes a day. About 150 hours. Actually, I think it's much more than that, if you take into account the occasional Civ binge. I have no idea.

Gee you'd be doing well to have 4001 hours clocked up on just Civ IV. Maybe the civ games put togther but 4001 hours on just Civ IV would almost equate to a full time job since its release.

I've probably spent more than 200 hours, not that I'm proud of it or anything. :lol:

bout 5 hours a week in general i guess.
some weeks 10, some weeks none.

I'd say 2 years x 52weeks x 5 hours is roughly 500 hours.

EEK

thats a lot!

One game alone has sometimes taken me 100+ hrs. I would guess I'm in the 1001-2000 hr range.

I play a lot. I'm retired and 40 hours/week is normal when I'm playing ( whenever I've kept track), sometimes more, but there is some multi-tasking involved. Last week I didn't play at all because I was travelling.

Some weeks are spent reading history and historical fiction instead. I like to get absorbed in whatever I'm doing. It's not the quantity that matters to me, it's the quality. I play a lot because I enjoy it a lot.

I don't really know, i'm playing Civs since its release back in the ninties, somwhere
between 3000 and 4000 seems a realistic amount to me.

Like Rusty Edge, I play in the daytime and can manage a full day's play (I'm self-employed and if I don't have a project on then my time is entirely my own). Mondays are pretty good days, as there is no one else at home.

Still, a conservative estimate is 1000 hours. If you take the entire Civ series from the first release, it's got to be well over 4000 hours - I played it obsessively when I was supposed to be writing my PhD thesis (still got it finished in time!) and later when I was unemployed and supposed to be job-seeking (still got a job, though!).

Hard to say but Civ is my standard unwind / downtime activity before bed for about 1-2 hours a night (if I get carried away :mischief:)

Probably 300-400 or so.

I estimate 1000+ hours. I don't include the time spent studying the War Academy articles, reading AARs, examining the guides, deciphering the contradictory or incomplete forum posts, etc. - the total hours would be depressing. So I'm not including 'em!

Oh man, I am so jealous of that situation :)

It gets better! My wife doesn't mind that I play.

If the universe has a way of balancing things.... My early retirement was followed by some early infirmity. I'm glad I'm not forced to work. Some things that I've always meant and wanted to wanted to do, such as hiking to the top of a particular mountain, & learning to play the bagpipes , have become foolishly impractical for me now, even though I have the time now.

Do some of the other stuff while you still can. Someday you'll have more time for books and games.

Are those "hours played" on the game stats accurate?

No, or at least not as far as I can tell. They don't seem to take into account AI turns. Thus on huge maps when I KNOW that the game takes longer, because by the end I'm waiting at least a minute each turn and doing stuff like math problems, the time doesn't add up.

Otherwise, happy to hit the peak of the Curve :) I've had Civ4 since it came out, maybe averaging 30 mins-1 hour when I'm on a civ streak (there have been times where I spent months with no civ, other games or maybe just busy...those days seem past now though :lol:)

Like Rusty Edge, I'm retired and so can play Civ4 as long as I want to. I have notes (some scanty, some very detailed) of over 30 games, of which the longest kept me happy for 160 hours and I know that several took over 100: I usually play Huge pangaea, normal speed, conquest or space. Add in a few shorter games, abandoned early as a sure loss, plus a few others when the game was new, and I feel certain I'm in the 4000+ class.

I would guess I might be 500-1000, but then again it could be 200-500. A lto of short games spent starting up all day.

Top Bottom