1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How many of you will play earlier Civ versions?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Akkon888, Mar 9, 2010.

?

Will you play earlier Civ versions when Civ5 comes out?

1. No

31 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. Yes, Civ4

39 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Yes, Civ3

8 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Yes, Civ2

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Yes, Civ1

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. Yes, A few past versions

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. Maybe any of these rarely

14 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. Akkon888

Akkon888 한국 사람

That is what I am asking. I know that it depends on the success of Civ5, but how many of you can see yourselves continuing to play earlier versions of Civ after Civ5 comes out?

I, for one, might play Civ4 occaisionally.

Others?

2. ClasuSiosa

ClasuSiosa Thespian of the Sword

Civ III primaraly, but Civ IV as well.

3. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

maybe, rarely. I remember getting civ4, I didn't like it much and continued playing III for awhile. Couldn't imagine going back now, haven't played III in ages now.

4. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I figure I'll probably still play Civ3 from time to time - if Civ5 is excellent, probably not very often, if Civ5 is mediocre, perhaps more than Civ5. As the most likely outcome at this point in time seems to be somewhere between excellent and mediocre (although it improved with the details in the latest IGN preview), I thus anticipate a healthy minority of Civ3 playtime.

I still intend to try Beyond the Sword at some point; at this point I haven't played Civ4 hardly at all since Vanilla, but did buy BTS last fall. So it's also possible that I'll be playing some Beyond the Sword after Civ5's release if I try it and find it much improved over Civ4 Vanilla.

The other catch is that I doubt I'll be buying on the week of release. Maybe if I already have a job lined up for after graduation at that point I will, but otherwise $50 for a new game when I already have one excellent iteration of that series (Civ3) and possibly another (Beyond the Sword) is a lot of money. Better to wait to play the demo (if there is one) and possibly Steam Christmas sales.

5. Chimera1804

Chimera1804 King

I expect I'll rarely play past versions...maybe once in a while I'll suddenly get a hankering to play some civ two or whatever...but not very often.

6. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

I will probably not get Civ 5 until it is stuck in a cheap "Complete Collection" which will take 3-4 years or so. Until then, I stick with earlier versions, preferably Civ 4.

7. König Markus

König Markus Warlord

I'm gonna continue to play Civ 3.
    Even my brother with his brandnew PC will do so.

Maybe in 2 or 3 years there will be a change.

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

unless they completely ruin civ5, no chance I'll play older ones. Even though I have fond memories of civ2 I never played it after civ3 came out. Yes civ3 was considered substandard, but it still was good enough imho to obsolete civ2. No way could I got back to AI building cities in my borders, and the unit support system civ2 had that I hated.

And when civ4 came out, it was light years ahead of civ3 making that game obsolete. I haven't touched it since civ4 came out. So it's reasonable to assume that I won't touch civ4 when civ5 comes out.

Not that I don't play older games, I just don't play older civ games (except alpha centauri rarely), because new games obsolete them. I play many older rpg's such as Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and fallout 2. But that's because they weren't made obsolete by sequals. The story is unique, and modern rpg's really aren't that much better than those games.

9. Gamemaster77

Gamemaster77 PC > Mac

If the game is excellent imagine the huge drop CFC will have in people who follow all the other civ forums.

10. Divaythsarmour

Divaythsarmour Adventurer

I've only played Civ3 and Civ4 so I can't speak to the earlier versions. But clearly each game has it's own feel. I like all the economic, research and production mechanics in Civ4, especially in relation to the different kind of government civics.

But as good as 4 is, there's a feel about 3 that's so cool. Maybe it's the longer and more repetitive sounding music or the way you feel when a great leader pops out from an elite unit in a tough fight (by chance). That alone was a really cool thing that was completely ruined in Civ4 (where it was turned into predictable formula and people literally built strategies around it).

The screensots of Civ5 look pretty cool. :)

11. Veshta

Veshta Warlord

By the sound of it, Civ5 will be taking the franchise into an entirely new direction. If the split is wide enough then the question becomes whether it is even in same category as earlier iterations.

RFC and RFC:E will still keep me ticking well beyond next year I think. Changes announced to overall system in Civ5 are so extensive that I am not sure if I even want to play it extensively .. just hope there is going to be a demo so I can make up my mind one way or another without burning cash :D

12. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Fantasy Warlord

I feel exactly the same. Though I remember earlier versions with nostalgia, I'm pretty sure I'll be playing CiV exclusively from day 1. Can't wait to start, actually...

13. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

I probably will stick with III and IV.

14. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

if i think it's worth buying, i'll probably get the complete edition in a few years.

15. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

Regardless of how the game turns out I'm sure I will continue to pick of III and IV just as I do now. Of course, maybe not for a while if the game is awesome. ;)

16. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

If it needs a duel-core I will be playing Civ4 for a while.

17. Nkat

Nkat Monarch

Civ 4, but I still have not played enough of it thus far and am still fascinated with it. I still play games from 15 years ago and I think Civ 4 will be in that category for me. A true masterpiece of a game. I hope they can get Civ 5 close or to surpass Civ 4. Good luck to them.

18. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I'll be playing ciV extensively. I may play a game of cIV once in a blue moon though.

I never really liked Civ III that much. I loved Civ I and II. I might play Civ I again sometime for nostalgia's sake. :D

Still, I'll play all the Civs on ciV and try to achieve all the victory conditions first.

19. thungrim

thungrim Warlord

This really depends on how good Civ5 is. I've played Civ4 more than any other version, and was the source of some of my most memorable moments in gaming. I'll likely keep it installed just in case.

I don't even have my Civ1 disks anymore, and even if I did I don't have an A: drive to put 'em in.
    I have my Civ2 disk, but why play Civ2 when I can play Civ4?
    We do not speak of that cursed game that came between Civ2 and Civ4. It is anathema and must be stricken from memory.

20. twansalem

twansalem Warlord

Mostly it depends on whether my relatively new Lenovo ThinkPad will be able to handle it. If it can run V competently, then I will likely not play IV (haven't played III in at least three or four years now) again, unless the new game just completely sucks.