How many Operating systems do you use at home?

Kolomboi

Chieftain
Well, I know its probably not common place to have more than 1 or 2 operating systems running in a home but how many of you have 5 or more?

I just realized yesterday that if someone walked into my home they would (probably rightfully) call me a nerd.

On my Macbook Pro I am running OS X Snow Leopard and Windows 7. I have an older desktop dual booting Ubuntu and XP. The computer I am typing on at this moment is running Vista and an ancient box sitting in the corner of my home is running Windows 98 (thought it is good for the occasional game of Solitaire or Freecell.

My main computer is Vista. I also have three computers in storage. Ones got Linux (I think Ubuntu) and the others got Windows 98. The third ones my test machine so I have no idea what the hecks on it right now until I pull it out and boot it up.

My mom has an XP computer and a 7 laptop.

Windows XP
Windows 7

Now? I only regularly use Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD. But a few years ago I also regularly used at home, beyond these, Solaris, OpenBSD and even (for some time) an install of OpenVMS in an emulator (had to run and figure out a very old program for porting).
Of course, it was too much of a hassle to use so many OSs. Now I just want something that works without needing too much attention. If only the different Linux distributions got their act together to offer a stable, reasonably common desktop... not likely, with the Gnome fools are about to change their whole desktop again (just so they can imitate Microsoft, apparently). :rolleyes: And people keep wondering if the year of the Linux desktop eill ever arrive.

Oddly enough, despite all the praises which Mac OS X receives, I absolutely avoid that system. Whenever I have to use it, I find its user interface incredibly obnoxious, kind of like a CDE (of the old UNIXes) with upgraded graphics. Dockbar? :vomit: And even worse: the single menu bar! :vomit:

Oddly enough, despite all the praises which Mac OS X receives, I absolutely avoid that system. Whenever I have to use it, I find its user interface incredibly obnoxious, kind of like a CDE (of the old UNIXes) with upgraded graphics. Dockbar? :vomit: And even worse: the single menu bar! :vomit:

I have to use it in one of my classes. People say their easy to use. I dont see how that is. I even had less trouble with the Linux user interface less trouble to use.

Heres an interesting site of GUIs
http://toastytech.com/guis/index.html

We have Win 98 on an old computer thats just sitting in the attic. W2K on a laptop, XP on my sisters desktop, I have Win 7, Vista and Ubuntu (10.04 for now).

The home server runs FBSD 6.2 but it will eventually be updated to 7.2. I also have a Ubuntu Server Edition VM that I use from time to time for some development.

If Iphones/Itouches count, then we also have an iOS install too.

Now? I only regularly use Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD. But a few years ago I also regularly used at home, beyond these, Solaris, OpenBSD and even (for some time) an install of OpenVMS in an emulator (had to run and figure out a very old program for porting).
Of course, it was too much of a hassle to use so many OSs. Now I just want something that works without needing too much attention. If only the different Linux distributions got their act together to offer a stable, reasonably common desktop... not likely, with the Gnome fools are about to change their whole desktop again (just so they can imitate Microsoft, apparently). :rolleyes: And people keep wondering if the year of the Linux desktop eill ever arrive.

Linux is about as resolute as a wet noodle

Coming from Windows XP I found the dock bar refreshing
I also like the single menu bar because a) I can monitor my system b) you can easily tell which program is up and most importantly c) It is consistent unlike the 50 bazillion menu bars
I have to use it in one of my classes. People say their easy to use. I dont see how that is. I even had less trouble with the Linux user interface less trouble to use.

Heres an interesting site of GUIs
http://toastytech.com/guis/index.html
What's confusing about it?

Lots of operating systems at home for me. My laptop (which had Vista when first bought) dual boots between Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10. My desktop dual boots between Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.10. My parents both use Windows XP, but we still have a machine or two with Windows 98. We used to have one with Windows 3.11 that got upgraded to Windows 95 (for networking reasons) until it died.

What's confusing about it?

It was a pain to use and I kept losing files cos I didnt know where the heck they went. I also couldnt figure out how to save something to my USB so I had to save it to the desktop and then copy it onto a USB. And then it kept a bunch of strange folders on my USB and some files I couldnt delete (it would error) but I got rid of those.

Ubuntu
Windows 7
Snow Leopard

I primarily use ubuntu. I love it's package management system and they've done a good job polishing the interface so that it doesn't look as crappy as most linux systems. You can also use compiz.

Downside - Obvious downside is that many proprietary software companies won't write their software for it.

I use windows 7 when I absolutely have to use windows to run some software. I believe Microsoft has done a good job on this version. They've taken the looks of vista and made it not run like crap.

Downsides - there's like 8 different versions, cost me $99, Comes with I.E. 8 which is still crap, more likely to get malware

I use snow leopard when I do work from home. Specifically i/phone/touch/pad development. I like the GUI. I tend to run boatloads of programs so expose is a life saver. I like the way that user applications are stored as .app in the Applications folder instead of dumped in usr/bin with everything else.

Downsides - tied to overpriced apple hardware. You don't have as much application support as windows and you don't get the freedom of linux so if I wasn't forced to I would probably never use it.

Ubuntu
Windows 7
Snow Leopard

I primarily use ubuntu. I love it's package management system and they've done a good job polishing the interface so that it doesn't look as crappy as most linux systems. You can also use compiz.

Downside - Obvious downside is that many proprietary software companies won't write their software for it.

I use windows 7 when I absolutely have to use windows to run some software. I believe Microsoft has done a good job on this version. They've taken the looks of vista and made it not run like crap.

Downsides - there's like 8 different versions, cost me $99, Comes with I.E. 8 which is still crap, more likely to get malware

I use snow leopard when I do work from home. Specifically i/phone/touch/pad development. I like the GUI. I tend to run boatloads of programs so expose is a life saver. I like the way that user applications are stored as .app in the Applications folder instead of dumped in usr/bin with everything else.

Downsides - tied to overpriced apple hardware. You don't have as much application support as windows and you don't get the freedom of linux so if I wasn't forced to I would probably never use it.

Just FYI, if you dont mind being a bit on the wrong side of the legality line, you can build a hackingtosh and get OSX without being tied to Apple hardware.

If I ever decide to use OSX, this would be the only way I would do it. Albeit, I don't see it happening for reasons of principle (I don't like Apple as a company) for the foreseeable future, if ever.

It was a pain to use and I kept losing files cos I didnt know where the heck they went. I also couldnt figure out how to save something to my USB so I had to save it to the desktop and then copy it onto a USB. And then it kept a bunch of strange folders on my USB and some files I couldnt delete (it would error) but I got rid of those.

Looking where you are saving files is probably good, also [account name]>Downloads and [account name]>documents. Save as>[navigate to location] or Export...>[what format you want it as]>location. Those folders are actually folders that windows hides from you...

Just FYI, if you dont mind being a bit on the wrong side of the legality line, you can build a hackingtosh and get OSX without being tied to Apple hardware.

If I ever decide to use OSX, this would be the only way I would do it. Albeit, I don't see it happening for reasons of principle (I don't like Apple as a company) for the foreseeable future, if ever.

true, but since it's for work it has to be legit. Besides I don't have any desire to rummage through compatibility lists to see what hardware will actually work. If I ever get desperate enough I'll just use Darwin instead.

Looking where you are saving files is probably good, also [account name]>Downloads and [account name]>documents. Save as>[navigate to location] or Export...>[what format you want it as]>location. Those folders are actually folders that windows hides from you...
I thought aimeeandbeatles was talking about macs. :confused: Anyways, the Windows 7 downloads folder isn't hidden for me (might have been in Vista), and documents being hidden doesn't matter because of the documents library (or virtual folder, as it was called in the longhorn days before being cut from Vista).

I mean it put new folders on the USB. I didnt even see those until I opened it up on my home computer. They were hided.

OpenSUSE 11.3 with a KDE 4.5 desktop on my PC for all the main stuff. (That includes running WinXP in VirtualBox.)

And then I have an old iMac (1999) that runs MacOS 9.2 ... :crazyeye:

Worlds collide.

Top Bottom