How many people here still play civ3?

I have not played in about a month or so, as I was busy teaching. I need to get back and play some, as I am working on a proposal for the summer program that I work with for a class using the Civ3 game as part of a Build Your Own Country Class.

I am hooked on Civ3 once again, all thanks to Hikaro's excellent "Final Fantasy" mod. :D

I haven't played in forever. At some point I got tired of playtesting my scenario and just got burned out. I'll start up again soon, and in fact I'm currently doing some minor modding to make the 'normal' civ game more of a mini-epic.

I have not played in about a month or so, as I was busy teaching. I need to get back and play some, as I am working on a proposal for the summer program that I work with for a class using the Civ3 game as part of a Build Your Own Country Class.

Very interesting timerover51, I often have thought about how usefull a strategy game would be to teach history to kids (I think the Paradox games in particular would be excellent because you can fire events that have a detailed description of what the historical context in the real world was).

The only problem I see is getting a copy of the game for everyone (could be expensive :p).

Very interesting timerover51, I often have thought about how usefull a strategy game would be to teach history to kids (I think the Paradox games in particular would be excellent because you can fire events that have a detailed description of what the historical context in the real world was).

The only problem I see is getting a copy of the game for everyone (could be expensive :p).

Since the program that I work with already has a bunch of laptops to use for other classes, I was thinking about trying to get Firaxis to donate the Civ3 games. Given the number of games that a friend of mine who has a hobby shop sells to the kids in the historical gaming class, I suspect that Firaxis will be interested as a way of marketing, figuring that once the student plays the game in class, they will want to buy it to play at home. For teaching history, I would also lean to Age of Empires 2 and 3, and possibly Age of Mythology as well, considering how much the kids learn about Greek and Egyptian mythology in their Reading and Social Studies classes.

You could try to get them to play a board-game called Antika providing they're old enough for it, and you can find a version in English. Decent Greco-Roman empire building game.

Teach them habit of reading civilopedia, while playing. This could work like "mini" Discovery channel..

I'm still playing, and once I get my AoI story caught up to where my game is saved at, I'm going to update the FF mod beta, which, as soon as I can get back to unit making and/or finish the UI, I'll try to update more regularly...

This was just a really bad year for any kind of Civ work for me (between my best friend and his wife losing their baby, my mom getting cancer and me losing my old job, I didn't feel like doing much of diddly-squat, but now my mom's done with Chemo, I've got a new job and my best friend and his wife are coping, so I should be able to get back into the swing of things soon).

When I have time I play [civ4] :p With :bts: and all the patches it's actually good, even if some things still annoy me.
Heretic begone! ;) Just kidding, ed.

I still play Civ3 pretty often - not everyday, but as a university student it's not really possible to play it every day (though I did play almost if not every day the first three weeks of August). I think I have more fun actually playing Civ3 than browsing CFC or modding (not that I do a whole lot of modding anyways).

Other games have come and gone, with a few surpassing Civ3 for limited periods of time and a few still being played semi-regularly, but my Civ3 playing remains common 6 years after I began. And it's the playing that really is the fun part. I don't play nearly as much as I did the first year I had it, but that's probably a good thing for the rest of my life. And I really haven't missed Civ4 much since I lost the second of two disks earlier this year and haven't been able to install it or play it for a good half-year or more - I played it more than Civ3 for one year in the past six, and that was the least fun year of Civ playing I've had yet. Perhaps with the SDK I could mod it to something more Civ3-like that I would find more enjoyable, but I doubt I'd find the effort worth it after a few days with Civ3 still providing tons of fun, and with many different mods yet to try (I've several saves in mid-game from different mods right now).

Still playing civ3 mods and scenarios. Although the latest redo of the user done 'playtest' of CTP2 has distracted me a bit (source code was made available to community and is continuing to be redone and reworked) along with FO3 .... so instead of daily down to 2-3 times a week.

YO!!! Civ3 in 'da house !!!

And if I ever get my editor straightened out I give ya'll some decent conquest scenarios...:aargh:

Truthfully, I have so many modding irons in the fire that I'd have a lump of melted metal if I didn't attend to them every day... I still like to play the original game every once in awhile, just to remind myself what it is I'm trying to accomplish. I still like to play some mods, too, especially Anno Dominae, which was a really well constructed mod from the get-go. The rest of the time I'm either here, or feeding my cat.

I only have civ3, which I play fairly often, though my CD just broke so I've ordered a replacement :(

Top Bottom