will Italy ever be in civ games

• Yes

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • No

Votes: 62 88.6%

• Total voters

lz14

Prince
Will Italy EVER be in ANY of the civ-like games ? Without renaissance there will be no industrial revolution, without Leonardo, there will be no Edison. I think they are very important.
At least give them a chance.

Well, Rome is technically now Italy. Even the capital of Italy is Rome. :)

I would like to see Italy in CIV, but since they are a relatively recently formed country and share history (and the capital city) with the Romans, I think we will never see them.

as long as they have rome and LOTS of people like playing as rome, italy will never happen:(

Italians have nothing to do with Romans just like Americans have nothing to do with native Americans, this is correct, right?

Iz14: not really. Todays US was founded by people who came to the land to take it over, killed the natives with guns, germs & steel.

Italy today is a state grown from many small states that had great and miserable times in the past, but are all united in one thing: there was a time when all of these places had the Roman Civil Right - the inhabitants were Romans with the full right to vote and take office in Rome. They are united by cultural heritage and religion. The intervening periods of the Holy Roman Empire of German Nation as the leagl follower of (West-)Rome and all the little states and foreign (French, e.g.!) rule have never really destroyed this!

I'd say it would be a good idea to have ROME reform into ITALIA when the civ hits Industrial times or so (yes, yes, historically inaccurate, but we alos cannot have the state split up and reunite and all that...... and whichever other date on picks - civ will never emulate real history perfectly!)

Nothing wrong with Italy as such, and the Byzantines+Ottomans matchup ought to prove Firaxis doesn't care about civs sharing capitals.

But we don't need any more European civs! Playing world maps with all civs is already hopeless because there are so many of them, while big bits of the world are empty.

I demand at least one new civ each from subsaharan Africa and Southeast Asia befor any more Europeans are let in!

To take it even further: renaissance came up at the time that we didn't have an Italy, like CarlosMM says. Looking to the history of the country, I think that Rome is most accurate, because during that period the region had the most power and made the biggest impact on history. Also the christian church got their headquarters in Rome during that period.

Italy have, after the fall of the Roman Empire, an intresting history and could be a nice addition to the game.

I don't however see the real need for them since we already have so many European civs. My vote was "no".

So people are settele with Columbus is a Roman? So Romans discovered America. That sounds great.

Originally posted by lz14
So people are settele with Columbus is a Roman? So Romans discovered America. That sounds great.

well, pretty much so. Kind of a weird view, but yes. He actually was from Genua, which then I think was a seperate state, but yes, he was from 'ancient Rome' by culture ;)

For all I know, in 800 sth years, the Frank empire split up into three countries, and they form the basic of modern Germany, France and Italy. And it was Great Chalie adapeted Christianity too. These people were the nothern 'barbarians', Romans don't exist any more till that time at those places, same as in Britain.
I'll be glad someone correct me or give me more details on this.

Originally posted by lz14
For all I know, in 800 sth years, the Frank empire split up into three countries, and they form the basic of modern Germany, France and Italy. And it was Great Chalie adapeted Christianity too. These people were the nothern 'barbarians', Romans don't exist any more till that time at those places, same as in Britain.
I'll be glad someone correct me or give me more details on this.

Ah, I have little time now, and to give more data would qualify for a full article, but do look up

Heiliges Römisches Reich Deutscher Nation
(Holy Roman Empire of German Nation or so).

legal successor to the Roman Emperor, kinda. Arguably, if in that thingy someone from Roman ancestory comes to rule and chooses Rome as his capital......... Also, the dabate over rule over Christianity between empror and pope and all that may lead you to conclude that the Vatican is the Roman Empire, acutally ;)

theres no pont. its liek having english, anglo saxons, viking and celts all in the game all with what are now english cities. just one per area, no need for 2 civs that had vertually the same lands as eachother at different times.

We've already got alot over ovelap. Looking only at the Roman Empire, substantially overlapping civs:

I) Greece, Egypt, Carthage, Celts, Spain, France, England and Ottomans. The core areas of all these belonged to the Roman Empire.

II) Germany, Persia, Arabia. Large bits of modern Germany and today's Arab world belonged to Rome. The eastern half of what became the Roman Empire was under Persian control under the Achaemenids.

Smaller overlaps exists with Babylonia (Mesopotamia under Roman control under some periods, and Syria-Palestine under Babylonian for a while) and Russia (the Crimea, and bits of the Caucasus area).

Conquests will add Portugal, Netherlands, Hettites (which will belong to category I above), Sumeria (small overlap), and Byzantium (successor state).

You aren't going to get Italy as long as Rome is in the game. Rome was of more historical importance than Italy. Italy is more or less modern day Rome.

Top Bottom