How Many Religions do we need?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Huayna Capac357, Nov 21, 2007.

?

How Many Religions Should There Be to Found in Civ IV?

Poll closed Aug 17, 2010.
  1. 0

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. 1

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  7. 6

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. 7

26 vote(s)
    52.0%
  9. 8

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  10. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 10

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  12. 11

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 12

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  14. 13

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 14

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 16

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. 17

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. 18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. 19

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. 20

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. 21

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. 22

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. 23

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. 24 or More

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. PotatoSamurai

PotatoSamurai ChooseReligion enthusiast

So you're basically shooting yourself in the foot (founding a religion has no negative game effect outside your control) to create a more realistic/fun game experience? I do the same, but we shouldn't have to.

I can see how playing with more than the standard seven would decrease the impact of the problem (since no of religions doesn't scale with map size etc), but wasn't the religion system supposed to be balanced on standard?

I can't imagine giving a prophet would help all THAT much. Most of the cities by that era would have a religion, I would think, which certainly was not the case in pre-Islamic Arabia et al.

2. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Deity

Well, I don't consider "shooting myself in the foot"; because if I really need a tech, I will try to get it even if it gets me a religion (CoL for courthouses, philosophy for pacifism/liberalism and theology for the apostolic palace are the best example of this in my case); and I'm thinking of that usually when religions are not spread enough imo, which is not always the case. So that's right that I would be glad to have an option which says "found a religion: yes/no?", but I really don't care.

Note that I don't say that things are not balanced this way, but that I prefer them my way. I will not pretend to have the general people's opinion because I don't know it.

Actually it does not always work (depends on the civ who has the religion), but lots of times yes. Civs have a much greater tendency to spread a religion to their city and then to adopt it as a state religion if they have the shrine (I'm not talking about natural spreading here).

And also, great prophet are the only kind of great people without a tech which says "get a free great people" (music -> artists, physics -> scientist, economics -> merchants, fusion -> engineer, communism -> spy, fascism -> general; prophet -> none); and Divinr right seems to me the perfect tech for this. I'm also thinking about moving the free great general to military science but that's another story ;)

3. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

what i want is 1. polytheistic cults and 2. different bonuses from different religions. Maybe polytheistic religions will be available from the beginning since first city setled [and each nation have its specific religion]. The bonuses from this religions will not be so great (and they could not to be spread by missionaries) that will motivate players to discover more progressive religions and convert to them.

ps: Cool idea with free great prophet at divine right discovery.

4. vicawoo

vicawoo Chieftain

Cai Dai is only a fraction of vietnam, hardly a major religion.

I think conservative adherents to all religions would have a problem with civ representing other ones.

5. pikesfan

pikesfan Chieftain

Isn't there an option in BtS to decouple the religions from the techs, so that when you earn, say, Polytheism, you aren't automatically given Hinduism, but can choose? (or you're just given one at random).

6. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

Dude, you realize that cIV starts in 4000BC not 2007AD. Judaism WAS very important IN ITS TIME. And, cIV does go THROUGH ITS TIME.

7. Zenon_pt

Zenon_pt Civing on the real world

Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, T/Daoism, Shintoism, The Sun God Religion's (Aztec, Egypt, Maya, Inca), Paganism!
    Gran total of TEN!

8. ggganz

Okay, lets look at it this way...
    How many religions should there be in the game, regardless of what has actually happened on Earth.
    Which religions should those be? I think the ones they have now is fine.

9. Zenon_pt

IN THAT CASE, NONE!

10. ggganz

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Civ3 fan!! EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE....

11. Zenon_pt

YES and NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only if you admit your phrase of: "How many religions should there be in the game, regardless of what has actually happened on Earth", then religion is no more tham a mere act of reaching the supernatural to explain it!

12. Zenon_pt

And you don't need it!!!
    So if you want religion you need the ACTUAL RELIGION ON EARTH!!!

13. ggganz

It too, you two minutes to think of that to say?
    So, lets rephrase that. How many thing-that-start-in-a-city-when-you-discover-certain-techs-and-may-spread-to-other-cities-and-allow-you-to-build-buildings-that-increase-happiness-increase-research-and-let-you-build-units-to-spread-them-and-choosing-one-for-your-civ-to-live-by-will-give-every-city-with-that-one-culture-and-happiness-and-if-you-have-the-right-civic-production-or-experience-or-more-happiness-and-if-you-use-the-same-one-as-another-civ-they-like-you-and-vice-versa's should their be in the game?

14. ArmorPierce

ArmorPierce Warlord

Well I think 7 is fine. In this game religion is used to unite factions and there's only usually 2 or 3 religions that take off in a game. I see no reason for having more than 7.

15. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

16. Guagle

Guagle Warlord

I think that the number of religions should vary with map size and number of players instead of being fixed as it is now. Same with the great wonders really.

17. Zenon_pt

Answer: B-I-G _ L-O-L :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with Guagle! The size of the world and the number of players should be it! If you have a small world 2 or 3! If you play enormous one, 7 or more!

18. ggganz

19. Zenon_pt

Now who's not thinking of that to say, by read the previous reply's!!!

For "How many thing-that-start-in-a-city": only one!
    For the all game: 3! (Depending on the size of the world)
    For the all civ4: 7-10!