How many turns do you spend looking for a capital spot as the Maori?

iammaxhailme

Emperor
I usually play on continents, huge, quick speed. I changed to standard speed for the Maori though. Still, even when I find a really good spot but it took 20 turns I'll reroll because even with the +2 science/culture per turn I feel behind. Some people even have a religion by the time I make a city!

Yeah, there are still downsides to not settling quickly. Other civs can pop out another settler or get a religion while you are mucking around in the ocean.

So are people recommending by Turn 10, or some other general guideline? Does it depend on map size and type at all? Maori are probably my next game, I play slowly and haven't gotten to them yet.

I've tried a few times to get going as the Maori. Basically, I would sail around for ~10 turns, and if I didn't find anything I liked, I just rerolled. Some tips:
-It might be useful to immediately queue up Animal Husbandry, so that your last few turns of search, you'll already have horses visible. Although the Maori are probably one of the better options for an early religion, since you will often find a natural wonder in the search, and they also get bonus production immediately from forest/rainforest
-You often won't find a "perfect" spot, so it really depends how far down the chain you want to go. The biggest question is if you try to find a spot where you can have a few cities together, or if you try for island chains instead. It's probably more often than not that you can find a large section of land to carve out yourself, but if you can find it in time is a tough call.
-It helps to search around city-states. Often times I find city-states will cluster on the coast, but if you go inland from them, or around the corner, you can find land. But you are wasting some of their abilities settling inland.
-Try to settle away from Lautaro. You can still beat him, but given that you're probably 90% likely to get a classical Golden Age, that +10 against him is brutal. I ended up going for the Crusade belief to just break even against him.

Back to the original? To me, I think the "optimal" would be around 10 turns, enough that basically you get Code of Laws right as you're settling. Especially if you get the first envoy in a few city-states, it's very tempting to get settled earlier to bank those bonuses. But if you find the right spot, then take it. My current game I think I went about 15 turns, but settled right next to Ik-Kil, which means I managed to crank out my initial holy site next to it in like 3 turns. It can be worth delaying settling a few turns if you can find that "right" spot.

I'm fairly new to civ 6, is it like previous civs where you should immediately settle in the first turn or is it ok to search around a bit for an optimum tile?

I'm fairly new to civ 6, is it like previous civs where you should immediately settle in the first turn or is it ok to search around a bit for an optimum tile?
'in general' you would want to settle ASAP with anyone. In place if you can , a couple maybe three (max) turn away if your warrior found a more attractive spot on its first move or you want to settle on a lux for early gold.
In this thread we are discussing Maoris who kinda breaks this rule (well they totally do) because they start in the middle of the ocean and they must find a spot some turn away. They have boosts to compensate (they gain 2 science/culture per turn without any city, they start with two pop and a worker once they do) , the question is then 'how long can I be searching'. Seems the consensus is on 10.

EDIT : I realize I have an out of topic question on my own, if I settle on a +1 science/faith/culture lux , do I get the bonus ?

It's just a bit of luck. The game I played with them I landed in between 3 city states and two natural wonders. Had room for 8 cities without bothering the neighbours, Mongols and Canada. Also barbarian spawn frenzy so golden age right away and that got me a prophet without stonehedge or holy site.
That was on emperor, normal speed, standard size continents with high water level.

I had one particularly bad Barb outbreak yesterday where it ended up like the Battle of Helms Deep when I tried to irrigate farmland and build a second city

I had one particularly bad Barb outbreak yesterday where it ended up like the Battle of Helms Deep when I tried to irrigate farmland and build a second city

"Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the east."

So are people recommending by Turn 10
I am. I once went to 15 then realized I was looking for a river which was pointless as Kupe gets loads of extra housing in the palace.
The key thing is you get a free builder so use 2 chops and send it to sea while you build another... you really only need a few trees because your capital typically has more production and growth than many other starting sics and therefore can afford to pump out settlers full speed and they can settle what your 1 charge builder and warrior find.

I will look for 3 sea resource adjacency or at least 3 trees but the more the merrier. In my 4th game (I have played 4) i was just automatically looking for the clumps of trees and settling those. The Maori get enough money from sea resources to be able to buy granaries if they need them in other cities.

a free builder so use 2 chops and send it to sea while you build another
I like this idea a lot: using your builder with one remaining charge as an extra sea faring scout to help identify future city sites! Great tip!

I usually play on continents, huge, quick speed. I changed to standard speed for the Maori though. Still, even when I find a really good spot but it took 20 turns I'll reroll because even with the +2 science/culture per turn I feel behind. Some people even have a religion by the time I make a city!

Maori might work better on Epic or Marathon speed. A single turn is less of a deal which means you can traverse more of the map without falling behind as much.

I like this idea a lot: using your builder with one remaining charge as an extra sea faring scout to help identify future city sites! Great tip!

I also find that they simply need less builder charges. For example, if you have a forest/deer, putting a camp on there will actually lose you a hammer. Same with a banana plantation. You might miss out on some housing, true, but you just have to work around that.

Like my current game, I build a pasture on horses, but didn't need a second charge on him until I had settled my 2nd city (or until I could kick Lautaro off my damn wheat tile that he was camping on). I decided to not bother chopping, and wasn't near seafood, so basically I just waited with the builder.

Considering it moves 4 tiles in ocean and cannot be shot at and also can land to get goodie huts and also be the first to find city states.... hell-yes
In fact I use one charge scouts with all my coastal civs as they can go out at sailing, with the maoris it is OP.

I tried a handful of starts and tried to settle by turn 5 of 6. On a side note, I sent my warrior the opposite way to explore and steal huts and villages I’d otherwise not get. Also it’s possivle to steal a builder or settler with zero repercussion.

In future games I will always try by turn 5 or so to get things rolling. Code of Laws is ready at turn 10 with no rng. Victoria’s idea of buildsploring with the one charge is definitely something I will incorporate moving forward

Considering it moves 4 tiles in ocean and cannot be shot at and also can land to get goodie huts and also be the first to find city states.... hell-yes
In fact I use one charge scouts with all my coastal civs as they can go out at sailing, with the maoris it is OP.

So, builders can't get wiped by barb ships? Or are barb ships that early so unheard of as to be a non-consideration?

Are you ever worried about not getting the Improve 3 Tiles Eureka?

Top Bottom