1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How many turns do you spend looking for a capital spot as the Maori?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by iammaxhailme, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

if you read again, I mentioned ocean as opposed to coast hinting that if you stay in ocean you are invulnerable to the barb ships, naturally once you know they are not there and you need to go closer you can.

now that is a good point. The short answer is no. The long answer is you are choosing where to land and high on your list is culture tiles... but I also said build another builder after. You have the extra production and quite likely you have found a +2 unit CS. You are probably going Marae and that means foreign trade first... but if toa rush, then sure. The BIG point is you are flexible enough to make these decisions, I just love the civ.... and a Toa rush means you are more interested in science than culture.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    CPWimmer likes this.
  2. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Chieftain

Zero. I have NEVER started in the ocean.

3. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Especially since you're virtually guaranteed to have the foreign trade eureka, as the Maori I think it makes more sense to do foreign trade first anyways. If you found a few cultural CS, your culture is more than strong enough early on that you can get by without the craftsmanship boost. And another option is if you opened a few huts, I find that craftsmanship is often the eureka that I get from the huts, too.

4. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

I still haven't played Maori but one day I'll know, how far I'll go

5. Mark1031

Mark1031 Chieftain

I played 2 games as the Maori on deity arch map. They are overpowering on this map. I like to play always war (AW) where you declare war on every civ when u first meet them and stay at war to the end. Won both. You meet most all the CSs first. You start at pop2 with a builder and most importantly you start with a science advantage having sailing and the other one that lets land units embark. In one game I found Galapagos which was lucky but had huge early science. In the other found average site with decent production. a couple galleys and a warrior can take early CSs for your extra cities. Foreign trade gives 100% naval production civic I think. Big Navy then Toas, It was fun. Could really only win Deity AW consistently with Aztecs or Persia previously Also found Ottomans are strong for continent based AW.

Victoria likes this.
  6. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

Thing is, Craftmanship comes too early to really concern oneself with boosting much of the time. Pop is too low to worry overmuch about cranking out a builder to provide improved tiles to work, especially if your capital is producing settlers (which is kind of a priority, and worth the chops IMO). Of course, you want to improve tiles for numerous other boosts, but Craftmanship comes too early much of the time, even if foreign trade is teed-up first.

7. Victoria

Won’t you get early empire before craftsmanship?

8. Swissy

Swissy Chieftain

I have heard some old mods updated for GS don't take the Maori start bias into consideration and place them like any civ with no start bias.

9. Victoria

Do you play a standard map? I believe the maps also play a part.

10. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Ancient Mariner Supporter

Do the maori get the benefits from chopping trees? I thought they could not harvest resources.

11. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

They can’t harvest bonus resources (sheep, wheat, copper, etc) but they can chop terrain features (woods, jungle).

CPWimmer likes this.
  12. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Warlord

True. I spent a long time trying to rejigger my 2nd growth woods around a marsh so I could pretty it up enough to put a national park there before I realized I was still allowed to eat the marsh and put a forest on the now-empty grasslands!

I also considered plopping a district on the marsh and putting the national park one tile to the left instead.

13. Victoria

The fact they cannot harvest swamp, wheat, cows, copper, stone, deer, fish or crab is a big disadvantage if you area chopper.
    They can chop forest and jungle but naturally doing so reduces the power of a Marae.
    However... let’s be clear from a chopping perspective.
    The forest gives the Maori an extra production at the beginning of the game and the capital will grow fast, especially if you have some fish as they produce extra food so each fish tile is 4 food.
    But once we are at feudalism your chop starts getting nearer 100 immediate production or more and you either do not have a Marae or are willing to sacrifice the forest... it is an option, amd still a valid option, they get the same chop value as anyone else. This makes the Maori flexible, the loss of the other resources is pretty bad if you know your chop.
    So for chop players the Maori is not advantaged by better prod forest/food fish but compensated.

14. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Warlord

I'm pretty sure I was able to harvest marsh.

I think being unable to harvest bonus resources is partly for balance, beause not only would you get the production for the harvest, you can re-plant forests later to get mad tourism in all those spots that used to have cows in them.

Karmah likes this.
  15. Victoria

But loose the culture and faith in between which is not a small amount.
    Well that’s a nice bonus for me then, I just did not try. Tx

16. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

The later starts are balanced by the number of CSes you meet first.

And yeah, I also explore with my first builder. Maori just require fewer improvements.

17. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

Maybe. Depends on how badly I'm being hassled by barbs. Helps that I'm not getting jammed up with barb horsemen and swordsmen as early.

18. Karmah

Karmah Chieftain Supporter

I confirm you can harvest a marsh. The benefits are not that great though. As you lose the marae bonus. Ofc you might want to do it for appeal.

19. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Harvest marsh and plant forest could be a decent option, but not sure it's worth 2 builder charges for the difference.

20. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Warlord

It is if the difference in appeal lets you make a national park