1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] How much are you willing to pay for a “great” AI?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Engeez, Feb 5, 2019.

?

How much would you be willing to pay for a “great” AI

1. Nothing, the AI is already great

22 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. Under $50

54 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. $50-$100

24 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. Over $100

29 vote(s)
    22.5%
  1. Engeez

Engeez Chieftain

So I am hoping that Firaxis will see this thread and know it is worth investing in AI development.

I would define a “great” AI as:

1) Greatly improved Military Tactics. It doesn’t need to be perfect, but fully capable of defending and capturing cities and being opportunistic.

2) Proper wonder placement: just simply add “smarter” rules for the AI to build. IE (Petra min 2 desert hills within 3 tile radius). Make the wonders worth the investment.

3) Be aware or bordering Civs and build counter military accordingly or put resources towards city states or alliances with stronger civs.

4) Go “all in” for a victory type once a pivotal moment is reached.

I could obviously go on forever but I didn’t want to author a novel about this. I truly love Civ6 just so frustrated with the AI.

If there was simply a “great” AI, I could see myself paying up to $200 for this. It would just make Single Player so great I could see myself playing over 1000 hours easily.

I am interested if I’m just a rare sick sadistic human who loves getting his arse handed to him if I make too many errors, or should I just give up hope and be a lemming and just enjoy my Volcanoes.

2. Solovey

Solovey Chieftain

$100
    Add a poll please.

3. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Let me be blunt -- i've already paid (Game(s_123456..) + multiple DLC + Two Expansions with R&F+GS) for a minimally great AI.
    The real question should be .. Is there any rational budget (past & present) at Firaxis to focus on better AI rather than marketable content however good or worth investing in??

679x likes this.
  4. Southern_Hunter

Southern_Hunter Chieftain

$200 seems reasonable.

I have a vague theory that Firaxis might need to do Civ VII in order to give it the hooks it needs to be truly helped by a deep learning AI.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  5. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Nothing. Not because the AI is great, but because I've already paid for a modding platform.

6. Engeez

Engeez Chieftain

To be clear, it appears you are frustrated with the AI after paying for all expansions and DLC’s?

7. Naktis

Naktis Warlord

Anything reasonable. Why ? because that new AI prob will be for many future civ games , so upgrade is not just for single game.

NegativeZero likes this.
  8. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Warlord

Nothing. I do not have any qualm against civ AI, but people seems to say that it's broken. If it's broken, it should be fixed for free.

It's astonishing to live in a world where people find it "normal" to pay to have a product with needed and compulsory features as a complement and not a core component. A competent AI should not be an evolution: not having one is a bug and, in a good economical system, Firaxis should have implemented it right at the beginning. I like capitalism like any western european, but I don't like being mocked by big companies.

Personally, I will not pay for a patch enhancing the AI. First because I do not need it personally, and second because it's should be a free patch.

9. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

This is a pretty disastrously loaded poll. No, the AI is not great, but nor am I paying $50 to fix it.

10. Unconquered Sun

Unconquered Sun Emperor

Over 100, but more importantly I'm done buying Civ products from Firaxis until they address the issue. I'll continue buying XCOM line products.

11. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

Nothing. Not because AI is okay as it is now, but I don't think very good AI means enjoyable games. I usually role-play my civ games (not a min-maxer) and it stresses me out if I have too difficult opponent in game. I play civs to relax and have fun. This is just me, though.

12. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Prince

I would pay Firaxis to make the A.I. worse, purely out of spite.

13. Equilin

Equilin Prince

Not sure, because I'll have to include the cost of upgrading my PC, as well as the cost of upgrading my room to fit an actual PC rather than a laptop, or maybe even a new room/new house entirely.

14. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Prince

This poll is very poor. There should be an option:
    Nothing. I am not happy with the AI but I expect Firaxis to fix this without me paying more.

Metecury, Timodelphia, 679x and 4 others like this.
  15. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

Well if Firaxis release the DLL source like they did for Civ IV and Civ V we wouldn't have to pay them since the modders would improve the AI.

But regarding the poll, I'd pay over $100 mainly because I'd get more than 3 thousand hours out of Civ VI. A bit over $100 is great value for 3k hours.

nzcamel likes this.
  16. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

I would not pay anything because AI is a core feature of the game and any improvements to it SHOULD be made as a patch. Selling a "better AI" DLC would be a frankly terrible move and very unfriendly to their fans. I'm perfectly willing and happy to pay for new content (I've bought every piece of DLC for 5 and 6 in addition to the xpacs, and will throw my wallet at the screen for more content after GS), but a better AI is not new content.

Edit: and bad poll choices. If it were on there I would choose "I've already paid for patches by buying the game".

679x, Ondolindë and CPWimmer like this.
  17. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

An extra $200 to $250 on top of what I've already paid was the ballpark that I had in mind.

Civ 7 would potentially be a better vehicle to build a solid AI on top of. Civ 6 is a bit of a dog's breakfast of mechanics, some new, some old, some borrowed, some blue. For me, the series could really use a re-boot, ideally one with the intention of building interesting AI opponents in mind.

Quoth the Raven and footslogger like this.
  18. criZp

criZp Emperor

spend so much time in civ I would pay 100$ no sweat if the AI was actually great

19. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

It probably depends what we mean by great AI. Is it just the ability to move its units tactically? Or is it more about long-term strategic planning.

20. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I'd probably pay $5-10 for a better AI, but only if the difficulty levels were appropriately scaled - e.g., if I want an easy sandbox game, I can still get that at the lowest levels (like I currently can on prince), if I want a nice challenge that I can likely (but not certainly) overcome, I go to prince, if I want to lose every attempt, I go to deity.

For me, better AI does not need to be on the top of Firaxis' list, but I understand that it is important for many in this forum, so I'd support you with a small contribution for a better AI DLC.