1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How much gold from city conquest?

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by fire-eggs, Aug 2, 2019.

1. fire-eggs

fire-eggs Chieftain

When conquering a city, how much gold is plundered?

- Destroyed building
    - Accumulated shield production -> cash, at what conversion?
    - What share of the civilization's gold reserves?

2. Mize

Mize Warlord

As far as I know, it's based entirely on the city's size as a fraction of the entire civilization's population, so the amount of cash plundered corresponds to the percentage of population lost. Not sure about the ratio though. Also not sure if the game counts the number of citizens or the actual population (as displayed in the city menu)... It probably counts the citizens. I'm also not sure it counts settlers as part of the population for this purpose. Testing it with one of the map editing tools should be easy though.

3. tupi

tupi Chieftain

One day I tested it with CivDos and JCivED (for my Sega Genesis port) and it seems that in most cases the formula is:

money = gold*city_size/(total_population+1)

it's pretty straightfoward

total_population - total population of civ which lost the city. More precisely, this is its total population at the beginning of a current turn (there's a special variable for this for every civ, "Total city size" in JCivED).
    city_size - city size of captured city, without -1 from the capture

So, for example:
    Civ has 100$, 1 city with 2 pop and 1 defender. total population = 2. You attack it and now its population is 1. Then you capture it.
    money = 100*1/(2+1) = 33.
    Another example (not realistic, but to understand total_population). Civ just has founded a first city. So this means 0 total pop at the beginning of this turn. If civ has 100$:
    money = 100*1/(0+1) = 100

I think in some tests this formula was not totally correct. But even then it's more or less right, just not very precise.
    I also looked up in CivOne code, but some strange and unlogical stuff here, about luxury?.. So tested it myself.

4. fire-eggs

fire-eggs Chieftain

My thanks for the confirm & details - the CivOne code as you say has a completely illogical formula!

5. fire-eggs

fire-eggs Chieftain

How far along are you with your port? May I ask how you've figured out some of the more complex, not reverse-engineered-by-darkpanda bits?

6. tupi

tupi Chieftain

I simply didn't figured them and made them up. CivOne should be careful recreation - that's the purpose of it. But my port doesn't have to be precise. Even at first steps of development I already changed some rules (0-attack units can't attack anymore, because that's pointless; you can re-activate unit from turn skip a-la Civ 4 (and m.b. 2 and 3 - i don't remember), you cannot change production after purchasing current production (so no more temple-chariot abuse etc.).

About how far - I'm trying to implement AI now. It's very, very stupid, but at least somehow functional already. But hot-seat play without AI was possible from july or so.