How much is the game worth to you?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by lissenber, Oct 11, 2010.

?

How much would you pay for CiVilization?

1. Not even a buck!

26 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. A buck.

13 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. 5 to 10 dollars

41 vote(s)
    16.3%
  4. 10-30 dollars

61 vote(s)
    24.3%
  5. 40 dollars

27 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. 40+ dollars

83 vote(s)
    33.1%
  1. lissenber

lissenber Warlord

Yeah, i probably should have made better poll options than these. I regret that. But be honest i didn`t even think that someone would pay 100 dollars for a video game. That`s ALOT of money in where i live. For some people, it`s 1/4th of their paycheck. And last i checked 3/20th of the people in the city don`t have a job.

2. Officerjackboot

Officerjackboot Chieftain

Nah I think what it comes down to is the fact that most single player experiences in games rarely exceed 20 hours so when I read about people playing this for 60+ hours before getting tired of it I am curious as to how they have been ripped off. You would have to play an RPG to get more than 60 hours out of a game and even then it would have to be an JRPG to achieve that.

Personally I think if anyone has already logged 60-100 hours then maybe they should take a break anyway or try playing online against an opponent then you don't really have to deal with bad AI.

3. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Well, dunno about that ... i would had voted in a 30-40 cathegory ... if there was one ;) As it is i can't vote honestly , so i didn't voted at all :D

And who knows how many have not made the same ? :p

4. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

This is such a laughable conclusion. Biased much? :lol:

Look again: only 30% of the respondees in this poll feel that Civ5 was worth the standard USD $49.99 price. That means 70% of those responses feel that they paid too much for this game. And that's somehow a "blow" to the supposed "haters?"

Try again, please.

5. Nortrom

Nortrom Chieftain

I payed around 55€ for my copy, and have played close to 50 hours already. I found it worth the money so far, but by a fairly small margin. Right now I am waiting for some patching to fix some of the obvious issues like horsemen and such. If they are fixed I'll probably consider this one of the better PCgame buys of my life.

I voted 40+.

6. Revoran

Revoran Prince

$40 AUD (about $41 USD)

Most pc games here cost $90 - $100 AUD, they are horribly overpriced and I think $40 - $50 AUD is a reasonable and fair price for a brand new pc AA title. Maybe $60.

7. Stoney the I

Stoney the I Prince

So based on this poll I should ask like 20 bucks for mine huh.

hmmmm...

8. Abremms

Abremms Prince

person opinions aside, and going by the current PC gaming industry, if you paid around the 49.95$ USD pricepoint, and you have played more than 20 hours, you have gotten your moneys worth. most triple-A single player games are in the 6-12hour range.

9. Kruelgor

Kruelgor Emperor

Most games are severely underpriced. To discover the true value of a piece of media, you have to look at the amount of entertainment you gain from said product. Let's look at some examples:

Let's say a $10 movie theater ticket gives you 2 hours of entertainment. That's $5 per hour.

Let's say a $25 DVD movie gives you 2 hours of entertainment. That's $12.50 per hour.

Let's say a $50 PC game gives you 200 hours of entertainment. That's 25 cents per hour.

10. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

That is probably more a argument that movies and DVD are overpriced that of games being underpriced , if you ask me :lol: At best , both explanations fit exactly as good in the data you posted :D

11. Kruelgor

Kruelgor Emperor

A consumer will always state that something is worth less than it really is. This is because a consumer only thinks about himself with no regard to the seller.

The seller on the other hand takes both into consideration, or he will fail to sell his product.

12. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

^^That does not mean that the seller is more right than the consumer in his evaluation. The seller wants to maximize his net profit, so he is exactly as interested and inclined for fair pricing as the consumer ... maybe even less inclined :D

13. vranasm

vranasm Deity

well it kinda didnt delivered like I expected, but was probably worth the dollars... (35 hours invested in game and will be more)
    so I voted 40$ :)

14. Blackadar

Blackadar Chieftain

At 50+ hours of entertainment, I'd say that I've gotten my $40+ worth.

15. SuperJay

That's correct... which means Civilization is now just like every other game out there in terms of value. Isn't that kind of sad? For me at least, it's always been the single most replayable game franchise out there, logging hundreds or even thousands of hours. Maybe Civ5 will too, eventually. We can hope it will, but right now it's not that engaging for me.

Have you played other iterations of Civilization? Did you only play them for ~20 hours?

16. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

The first day? Yes! :)

17. jagdtigerciv

jagdtigerciv Prince

Haha. Please do enlighten me, what is the "right" price for anything?

Love internet pseudo-economics.

18. Abremms

Abremms Prince

this is why my post started with "person opinions aside, and going by the current PC gaming industry..."

it has nothing to do with me, my opinions, or what i have played or how much i have played it. I simply wanted to add the industry perspective to the discussion.

19. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Das Kapital; Marx, Karl ; chapters 1-4 ; see "fair wage" . Apply same principle to pricing ( since a price, after all, is the wage we pay to the provider for the product in question, as if we were the boss and they the employees ).

20. SuperJay

Interesting. I don't disagree with your point - most games do cost $50-60 and generally don't have the nearly infinite replayability that earlier incarnations of Civ did.

Like I said, I just find it sad that with Civ5 in its current state, I'm not finding the level of replayability that has always been a hallmark of the series. To me, that's a big loss, not something to celebrate as a good thing.