1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

How much revenue is Civfanatics generating?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by marshal zhukov, Nov 6, 2005.

1. marshal zhukov

marshal zhukov good economist wannabe

And on what is this money being spent on? (where is the money going?)

I've been puzzled by these questions a long time.

Also I want to test Civfanatics tranparency.
    Failure to answer these questions mean that the site is not as transparent as I thought.

2. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

Not sure about the exact amount, but it all goes to the server costs and hosting iirc (none for profit I think). If I had to guess I'd probably say a couple hundred a month...

edit: Seems I was the only one with a real answer. ;)

3. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

The money is currently being spent on Thunderfall's private compound and the moderator villa surrounding it. 1000 square feet are being added to the villa pool, they're finally dredging up the dead sharks and former body parts of CFC users long since passed. New machine gun nests are being mounted all around the compound wall as warning shots are constantly needed with all the new civvies outside the walls. A liquor store is being constructed inside the staff fridge. I even hear that a perfectionist sniper is being hired.

<Listens to barely visible earpiece.>

I'm of course just kidding. Nothing to see here, move along.

You're not playing enough Civ. ;)

Civfanatics transparency? What is this you speak of? :confused:

4. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

It generates $2 million dollars a year. Thunderfall and Lefty are using the money to help fund rebels to eliminate rival drug cartels.

5. marshal zhukov

Guys come on!!!!

That is really sad that the question got ridiculed, worse a CFC staff SPAMMING the thread. That's horrible. If you don't want to answer, just say.

Transparency is vital for trust and the health of the community.
    Transparency. Why not ?

Why the secrecy?
    Fine... just answer the first one then.
    What is Civfanatics revenue?

6. SunTzu

SunTzu Hooah Retired Moderator

Its no one's business other than Thunderfalls, thats why they're not telling you, and i'm not sure now but it was his own little policy not to tell how much CFC makes.

7. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Obviously my sense of humor didn't go over with you too well. Sorry, I wasn't trying to ridicule you.

In all honesty, I don't know the answers to your questions other than what Ginger Ale posted. All the revenue covers the site expenses.

8. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Frankly, I don't see why it's anyone business other than TF's. No one is paying to visit this site so why do people need to know what the monetary situation of the site is?

9. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

It's not much, if anything at all. In fact, I'm guessing it probably costs him money.

Although, I really don't think it's much of a big deal as I'm sure TF makes more than enough money in "real job" that whatever money he gains or loses from this site is really of minimal importance. I hope he makes some profit though, he spends a lot of time working on this site and making it better.

10. MarineCorps

MarineCorps Explosion!

I found it rather amusing myself....:lol:

Considering your the only one asking I wouldn't say it's all that vital....

11. Colonel

Colonel Rule of Law

What are you saying :mad: your not to tell them the truth thats the worst thing you could ever do!!!!! Now we need some elimination teams. ooo I mean of course this is a lie CFC would NEVER use money made from CFC to fund secret projects...er.... I mean false lies such as these

12. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

That info is classified. It's not just us -- you are going to have a very hard time getting the number from any website, even the commercial ones.

All I can tell you is, if your goal is to make money from websites, don't make fan sites.

13. corwin90

corwin90 Chieftain

Love the site!

Thank you to everyone who admins the site. Also, the main reason I'm posting today is because of that cool ad for Surface. I must say... whoever goes out and gets companies for the ads does a very good job. They all seem to be for stuff I'm interested in. I also really like the Air Force 'shoot the laser' ad. And yeah, I shop at Circuit City often enough. Anyways, back to reading the forums! Thanks again!

14. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

maybe donations can help that.

15. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

I don't think it matters.
    Thunderfall runs a clean, interesting, and superb website. If he makes money on it (which I doubt very much, I'm sure that he is putting some of his own money into it), then so be it, we're not the ones paying, and even if we were, it would maybe be worth it for such a good site.
    Not that it would become a pay-site, as the mods, and Thunderfall himself, and all the other workers are very dedicated, and put a lot of work into this site.

*Becomes Mod*

16. marshal zhukov

I undestand your point, but since I visit Civfanatics and care for this site, I am, therefore, very interested on Civfanatics health, which is comprised of the number of active users and its financial situation.

I know Civfanatics is not a publicly traded company, but whenever I want I can read about the financial information of the World's 2000 biggest companies, why can't I do the same with Civfanatics?
    Besides, what is gained from hiding this information? I can't think of anything.

As Moss pointed out, Civfanatics revenue is not much, and Thunderfall doesn't count on Civfanatics revenue for nothing.

I really don't mind the fact that Civfanatics is profitable , in fact, I hope that it is, you deserve it, Thunderfall.

Because of the fact that the numbers involved are small, and that I am a Civfanatics fan, and also that very little can be attained from this sort of secrecy, I believe that it is my business to know if Civfanatics is on a sound financial footing.

Civfanatics should be more transparent, and provide the community with its financial information and situation on a quartely basis or on a semestral basis. Who would get hurt by this sort of announcements?

Those announcements would actually help the community get more involved with the site and give us more peace of mind. It would be just like a football team or a soccer team with their fans.
    Why does this subject has to be such a tabu?

17. SunTzu

SunTzu Hooah Retired Moderator

You can get information on the worlds biggest companies because they are public, not private. And u really need to get a hobby if not knowing CFC's financial status makes you uncomfortable.

18. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

You wonder why TF has alot fewer posts than some of us, despite, obviously, being here before anyone else? Ask his stable of trophy wives. :cool:

Now, if you're dying to know things that aren't your business, I suggest you start reading tabloids, but before you do that, please tell me why you think CFC's financial status should be transparent. It seems that about one poster in sixty thousand feels the way you do ...

19. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator Moderator

Well, you answered your own question - its not a publically-traded company. Would your local corner shop show you its financial accounts simply because you were interested and bought your milk there? :confused:

20. Padma

Padma the Absent Admin Administrator Supporter

All you need to know is that TF has no intention of letting this site "die".

he has indicated many times, including in this thread, that he ends up paying *at least* some costs out of his own pocket: "... if your goal is to make money from websites, don't make fan sites."