1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How much time will u give them? (part 2)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by King Flevance, Oct 29, 2005.

?

How long will you give Firaxis to solve these issues/release a date of patching?

1. 1 Month

8.5%
  2. 2 Weeks

23.4%
  3. 1 Week

59.6%
  4. Their time is up, I am getting my keys and trading it in today.

8.5%
  1. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

I saw someone do a poll on this before, and I am really feeling them on it now. I bought this game wednesday and here it is saturday afternoon and I havent been able to fix this game. I am giving Firaxis until Monday to release either a patch or a date of when they are going to fix these issues. I can't believe I have been duped into paying to beta test their game. I am getting pissed and stressed when I mess with it so I have decided to wipe my hands of this whole thing, as if it was a joke cause it is.

If by Monday I see no change, I am through with it and will go play Civ 3. If they make me do this, I will wait till the price drops to 20 or 30 bucks again, personally. That way any fixes will be made on my disc itself, just incase I need to reinstall I dont have to patch crap up again. I hand you all the gold star for putting in the effort but I cant see myself working my tail off to fix my current problems to be able to play a make-shift game that I payed 60 bucks for.

That's why I have made this poll, I am wondering with the current state of the game if opinions have changed and such. I personally would rather have 60 bucks in my pocket than a shabby game brought out in the name of my favorite title. The game may be the greatest yet, if it is I will see in about 6 months. hehe. I actually am a patient person but I am more patient with my money in my pocket.

2. animalstyle

animalstyle Chieftain

I bet you they already have a fix for it...they certainly must have known about these issues long ago. From the time it went gold until now they must have made fixes for it. I bet its the marketing guys saying, "oh no, dont release a patch now, we don't want to make it SEEM like the game was unfinished when it was released". I bet they wont even acknowledge it for a week. Don't blame Firaxis by the way. Its Take Two. Blame big business, blame capitalist pigs who care only about profit. Consider this- AOE III Was released just a week or two ago, you think the buggy release of CIV had anything to do with this? I think so. Marketing guys: 'Don't want to wait too long, until everyone spends their money and gets hooked on the other "historical strategy game", we need to release CivIV NOW, couple of bugs, doesnt matter, we will patch it later.' Bottom line: Blame take two, and be patient, the fix will come....just pretend like it hasnt come out yet if it really bothers you that much...uninstall it and let it hibernate for a while till you see the patch.

3. Daelda

Daelda Peleahn Viran

*Sigh* I see this with most every game that get released. No matter how hard a game company tries, there are so many different PC configurations that they can't have a fully bug-free game from outset. Yes, I pre-ordered the game. No, I don't have it yet. No, I don't have any idea if I will have problems with the game, but I expect to have *some*.

Anyone who purchases a game when it is first released should expect bugs. It is a fact of life. Is it fun? Of course not! But it is to be expected. Here is my advice, if you don't want to deal with any large bugs in a game DO NOT buy it when it first comes out! Wait at least 1-2 months. By then, the biggest bugs should be patched.

No, I am not giving Firaxis, or any other game company a free pass. Some of the glaring bugs that I have read about in Civ IV are simply not excusable. However, I am saying that early adopters of any technology or computer game should be prepared to deal with bugs.

I am giving them 2 weeks to at least announce an upcoming patch. That should be enough time for them to list the big bugs and start working on fixing them.

4. Grst

Grst Chieftain

People who whine about this know nothing about computers. While there are individual standards for hardware, there are no market wide standards on what kinds of systems people have. It is IMPOSSIBLE to test for them all, period. If you have zero patience, don't buy the game when it first comes out. Just pretend the release date is really a month later.

5. Raider

Raider Warlord

Till Monday because I want to return the game before the return policy runs out.

6. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

They dont have a fix yet, thats why I am mad. Blizzard has released games like diablos with bugs and while it was being shipped for release they fixed the bugs and had a patch ready the day the game was released. Thats called ~Managing~. Take two, Firaxis, Sid, whoevers fault this is that these bugs are insanely rampant look that word up. This is not minor bugs this is a catastrophe. Minor bugs is you hear 2 warriors fighting when its actually 2 horsemen, or the game cuts out to the desktop if you offer a city as a token of goodwill to AI. These are major issues everyone has been having. On day one I saw maybe 10% of everyone on the board actually being able to play the game with no issues. That includes the people that had the driect X problems and then everything worked ok. Most people use ATI.. and here is a thought, 'Maybe you should test out your game performance on the top 3-5 video card manufacturers setups before releasing the game and saying Hoorah'

I REALLY DONT INTEND THIS AS A FLAMER POST. This is just me expressing my opinion on this. I don't care if they were scared of AOE 3 beating them or not. IMO they were beat by AOE3 I bet if I go buy it, it works. A hard choice owning a game that does work and a game that doesnt. I am not going to pay the money and have them think this is exceptable. Hell I may go use my money for AOE 3 now lol. I enjoy that title too, I enjoy Civ more but...well, we have covered that. At least then I will be playing a game. Sad thing is my reqs are OVER the RECOMMENDED reqs. But it dont work.:rolleyes:
    GREAT JOB ON CIV 4!! WTG!!

Like I said I will give them the weekend, that gives them almost a week after the release of the game. But I havent heard anything from them and doubt I will. I am playing Civ 3 atm trying to Conquer the world with the German's. They are mad they bought Civ 4 and bent on world domination.:p Will they take it lightly? NEIN!! hehe.
    Gratz to the lucky ones with Civ 4 I have no ill will towards any of my fellow gamers. Hell, I am happy as sh*t for you honestly. I personally aint gonna be a 2k/take2/Sid/Firaxis Lapdog for much longer was my original point mostly. I always like to see other peoples opinions. Not like we have much else to do atm. :lol:

7. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

I agree to that on the level. I am a pretty lucky guy tho it seems then, I have bug issues on releases about 1/5 games bought on release, or the week of. With Civ being a strategy game and MP based I figured bugs would be here, to be honest.

8. GKTemujin

GKTemujin Chieftain

Yea this sux. I expected better from a company like Firaxis and Sid Meiers. Even though it's kinda true that they can't test every computer system combination, computer games should be able to work with ALL computers. It's what they get paid for right??? They should've had someone to deal with these things and in return what do we, the customers, get: -$50, a waste of our lives and no game. Thanx a lot A-Holes.

9. animalstyle

animalstyle Chieftain

I can understand minor bugs in a game, however....
    I have a P4 2.4ghz 800 bus speed, 128mb GeForce 5500 FX, 1024 mb ram etc.
    And the game still isnt as smooth as a civ game should be. When i play Civ3, i get instant unit response time, the game moves quick (in terms of graphic speed that is). A civ game doesnt need such flashy graphics...the graphics in a game like this should be all about utility, and in my opinion, you shouldnt up the graphics if its gonna cause so many problems, such as slow response time, and lagging while trying to drag the map around. These arent bugs, these are fundamental design flaws, that were unneccessarily added. Right now its oooh look at the graphics, a year from now do you think you will care about the graphics? No of course not, so why not just stick with how civ has always been, gameplay and not worry about graphics. All it does is cut out a portion of the gaming population for what? A little bit of a temporary eye candy. Cmon, do you think graphics really add anything to a game like this? If it does, then you are playing it for the wrong reasons. Honestly, I'm really getting over computer games in general, and going back to the more simple ones, when only gameplay mattered, because thats all that really does- aka
    Tetris, Breakout, and chess...now those are truly timeless classics.

10. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

Hehe, the classics are unbeatable. Tetris is a bit bland for my own taste but you cant beat a good game of chess. I cant seem to recall what breakout is... Super Breakout sounds familiar for me, though I cant place it. It looks like the votes have stayed the same meaning the frustration isnt esculating perhaps or a coincidence/common thought of most gamers as this may be a poll to entirely new people. I am playing Arcanum, Civ3, City of Heroes, Diablo 2 sometimes. I am a PC fanatic. Tho I have broke out DefJam Fight for NY a few times and the old school PS tomb Raiders recently. Hoping to play Destroy all humans this week for the first time. (I am always behind on console games.)

11. bt_oz

bt_oz Chieftain

I haven't got my dvd version yet of civ4 thats supposed to be released here in 3-5 days at this point i'm not buying yet until their is a patchs released. and all major bugs fixed and i did buy a brand new 64bit computer system just for civ4
    and other games, so until firaxis/take2 fix the problems that people are having ,i'm boycotting civ4 , going back to play civ3 instead.

bt_oz

12. Daelda

Daelda Peleahn Viran

Luckily I got my copy today and it loaded fine and runs without any major problems, so I can afford to be a bit more patient than some of you. Of course I still hope they have a patch out in 1-2 weeks that corrects the majority of the problems.

13. !scorpion

!scorpion Chieftain

:confused: That's what the DirectX API is for. Programmers don't write to specific hardware or specific drivers, they write to the API.

14. scy

scy Chieftain

Some companies release games that work out of the box for 99% of people, others release games that are full of memory leaks, graphics glitches, crashes and even computer reboots. I've played many many games on several computer configurations, and this is amongst the poorest pre-release tested games I have ever bought.

15. Flak

Flak vBülletin Förum

Firaxis has modfied DirectX version 9.0c. Thus they may have inadvertantly broken with this philosophy.

Personally, I would like to have the SDK released with atleast the memory leaks patched up. I'm not particularly interested in trying to hunt those suckers down myself. So I'll give them a couple of months. Since I don't have the game yet, I may think differently if if doesn't run on my machine and can't be fixed with any of the various workarounds.

edit: Heh, just realized that option isn't in the poll. Might need a 'part 3'. :p