1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How much training does a professional soldier need?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by storealex, Feb 5, 2007.

?

How much time is needed before being deployed?

1. Less than 6 months

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. 6 months

19 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. 1 year

21 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. 1.5 year

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. 2 years

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. More than 2 years

7 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. Stevenpfo

Stevenpfo Emperor

When we went to Afghanistan there were troops with us that had just gotten to battalion from training. They did fine.

We lost 7 people in my company and I would say that had nothing to do with our training. I'd say it had more to do with being ambushed, constant firefights and IEDs.

2. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Do you know of any force that does not get basic first aid training? As for the US Army they get very good first aid training and are tested on it routinely. There are usually medics assigned to every unit and also soldiers with more advanced first aid training called 'combat lifesaver' training. To my knowledge its actually a requirement for each convoy to have a medic as part of the convoy.

3. storealex

storealex In service of peace

No, but I know some which include advanced first aid, which requires more... training...
    It came in handy when a guy from my platoon hit his head during an exercise, passed out and swallowed his tounge so he couldn't breathe.

Good :)

4. storealex

What does this mean?

But where did you learn how to react when faced with such situations? Don't you think you would have lost more men, if your training of those situations had been insufficient?

5. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

What it means is that units are always getting new soldiers in to replace ones that have left the unit for various reasons - even up to the eve of being deployed. This is true for any unit, elite or otherwise, in order to ensure that the unit deploys full strength.

6. storealex

Yeah but I mean how much training is "training"?

7. Stevenpfo

Stevenpfo Emperor

The training a soldier receives in Canada before heading to their final posting for an infantry soldier has changed a bit since the time i've joined. It's basically the same though.

10 weeks of basic training (marching, shooting, that kind of stuff) and then I did 16 weeks of infantry specific training that is run by each individual regiment.

We were trained very well before we headed over seas. We even had American and British troops who had just returned come on up and give us detailed briefs on what to expect and how to avoid it.

I understand what you're asking but it's a bit confusing. How do you train better to stop flying shrapnel or explosions? They're pretty good at hiding bombs and it's near impossible to tell who's an enemy while there.

We lost a few guys to straight up gun fights. One from an RPG hit to their vehicle and another from either an RPG or an IED (can't remember the details). We also lost 3 in a mortar attack.

These were (for the most part) near the end of the tour when we were at the top of our "game".

The 6-8 months of training we do prior to coming to battalion plus the 1-3 months of training we do prior to leaving on tour seems to do just fine.

Don't get me wrong, more training is always good. Training can only do so much though. Experience in operations seemed to help (IMO) 10 times more than training.

8. spycatcher34

spycatcher34 Emperor

From what I gather I believe Stevenpfo meant that there were new guys who just completed the basic combat training and were reporting into their first duty station and were sent out immediatly as opposed to having the '6 months' or however long of training in preperation for deployment that is the topic of this thread.

9. Contempt

Contempt The Barbarian Warlord

10. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Vietnam 1956-1965: 2264
    Vietnam 1972-1975: 1148

WWII: After the same amount of time had elasped as has elasped since the invasion of Iraq: Mission Accomplished.

11. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Why do soldiers need training anyway?

I mean come on, it's like "just shoot that guy, okay."