How Often Do You Abandon Games?

isau

Deity
Just asking how often people tend to abandon because I would say I abandon about 80% of games between turns 50 and 100, and another 10% around turn 200. I play on Emperor, Small Continents Plus. It's not that I exactly "lose" but if the game starts to look boring I'll drop out and restart.

The civ I always the worst luck with Brazil. Always. No matter good a start looks in terms of production, when I play Brazil that will be the game where some wondermonger out there snaps up every wonder prior to turn 100. Sometimes I reload to "cheat" my way through but even doing that isn't often met with success.

As for why I think I might do this... well in Civ 4 you kind of had a reason to expand your empire. In Civ 5 if by turn 80 you don't have good city locations it's pretty much over. It's not like later in the game you are going to find some awesome spot and get excited.

Oh, I beg to differ.

In the game I'm in now (like right now--it's processing the turn in the background) I found an island in the industrial era with marble, horses, nice luxuriant jungles and one archeological site and just off the coast, some fish, atop...and the Great Barrier Reef!

I went and settled on it right away. First thing I built was a hotel.

I don't always drop games since sometimes the game fools you into thinking that you're doing great progress and that you're close to achieving victory. However, when it is truly time for the 7-8 difficulty AI to pop out with a win, the AI fails and I don't achieve the win that the game makes one think that one will get at the end.

I'm right there with you op. I abandon almost every single game by the medieval era and I play on marathon. The end game is more exciting now but as you said if there aren't good spots to expand early on the game pretty much stagnates.

All the time, often fairly early on. Usually when it turns out that I have no room to expand at all (aggressively expanding other Civs) or there's just no good spot to settle a viable second city.

Sometimes in the late game, I just get bored a little when I have to spend more time waiting on the AI than I spend playing my turns. Rarely, I quit later on when it turns out that a mistake I made earlier on has come back to bite me in the arse and I have no viable way to win anymore.

I agree T80 to T100 you know where you're going to. Good start make good and fast win. But there's many things to learn in late game to optimize your start. Sometimes good location for a city is in reality a poor place. And sometimes, this crappy city in jungle/tundra go to be your 2nd tallest city.
For domination, you'll learn if you could push it before you did. Easy dom means I was late or build too many units.
For SV, recently I learned how important Iron curtain, coastal cap and cities hammer in caravans are important to win a couple of turns.
For Culture, except for Sacred Sites, it's open border, timing GMbombs, and fast archeo.

What is really boring me is micro-management and AI turns («No, for the 17th time, I'm not going to open my borders for 1 horse).

So I really abandon games when I screw my party (specially ugly city growth, or constant war during modern era with a neighbor and another AI «enter Information Era», or Ideology unhappiness further than - 20 after a couple of turns ).

My games are around 250 to 300 turns in standard speed. 1 hour and half for 100 turns. So T100 it's just 2 to 3 hours to finish, it's not so long to learn something.

I sometimes dropped a game because of my neighbours. If I have to many "muppets" nearby then I start a new game. For example, in one game, I was surrounded by Monty, Attila and Shaka. I started a new game because I didn't feel for that type of game (not my cup of tea).
I also usually drop a game if I got a jungle start (I drink coffee, not tea, but still ...).

If I can't get into a game (I'm somehwat burned out by Civ 5 right now) I usually just don't bother finish the games I've started.

If I can't get into a game (I'm somehwat burned out by Civ 5 right now) I usually just don't bother finish the games I've started.

I currently have twenty six unfinished games, all between the renaissance and information eras.

The only game I've ever completely ragequit is my Egypt game, when my best friend and neighbour, the Ottomans, who were completely friendly with me (With the Diplomacy info mod, whatever it's called, they had 10 points towards hating me, and 135 points towards being my friend!), Jannisary rushed me right as I disbanded my tiny military because I wanted to save gold.

This thread needs some balance: ;)

I have not abandoned any games voluntarily (other than a few early-days games where it was crash-city). I continue with the same game, even if it takes 2-3 weeks, until someone wins.
Prince difficulty (modified to be a bit harder), large continents/marathon.

When the AI triple/double DoWs and I can't defend is a good time to abandon a game particularly if I lost a city or 2 and the capital itself. If the AI doesn't talk for peace then I most likely abandon the game. If the AI agrees to peace then I most likely still abandon.

I only abandon if the conflict isn't tense enough. For instance, I have finally made the switch to DIETY. On my continent, I destroyed both the ZULU and the HUNS, which is not an easy task!

Because of this, I will finish the game (Indonesia and I each own a continent and are the only superpowers), because the narrative has been nothing but epic so far!

~35% of games. mostly around late Atomic when i see that i'll win it if taken all the way.

sometimes, however, my current game i'm going to abandon, because my typical super-lazy Tradition/Culture-thing couldn't cut it with Persia strangling too much land around me and poised to make taking him down militarily too much of a chore to stay interested.

I usually don't finish because most games take multiple days to complete. Not being able to finish a game in 1 sitting means I usually lose interest after that first day. I prefer the ancient/classical area to the later eras anyways.

....poised to make taking him down militarily too much of a chore to stay interested.

This is what often causes me to abandon games....it just becomes too tedious to take someone on militarily. You know that you will prevail but it will be a logistical slugfest... And coupled with the long wait times while the AI and the CSs do their thing, it gets hard to stay focussed on the game.......

I would say probably 80% of my games I don't finish...I take them to the point where the probability of a cultural win is very high....or the game just becomes uneventful....just a matter of grinding out the turns one after another with nothing much interesting happening....slowly, inexorably, building your cultural influence... Boooring!!!

But I guess I live for those occasional exciting games....and that often seems to be in the early to early-middle part of the game...when "all things seem possible"...

I just quit a game where I lost all cities but my capitol to Washington because I didn't catch up in tech fast enough and got minutemen rushed. No sense in playing out of that hole because Washington wasn't even the runaway...if I built up and beat him back I'd still be eras behind the good civs with below average cities.

But normally I will play them out until someone wins.

I guess I abandon 98% of my games. In 1900 hours, I have only about 15-16 entries in my HOF. Like many have said, the tedium in the later game is what gets to me. (Even in previous versions).
Knowing that I am going to win, but that I still have to just sit here and click for like 2-3 more hours is a real turn-off. Like others have also said, If I do not finish a game in one sitting, the chances of me returning to it are almost non-existent.

99% of my games. With so little reward (none actually) for winning or losing and the fact that HoF is broken I see little point in sticking around. Come to think of it, it probably contributes 90% to the reason of abandonment. It's a shame.

Top Bottom