1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you actually finish a game?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Kyroshill, Jan 3, 2011.

?

How often do you ACTUALLY finish a game?

1. Always

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  2. Frequently/Usually happens

32 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Sometimes but not often

37 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. Rarely

35 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. Never, or very close to it

31 vote(s)
    19.9%
  6. There's a pop-up at the end??

11 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

And by finish I mean that you see either a Victory pop-up or a Defeat pop-up...

I have a suspicion I know how this will go ;)

2. zarakand

zarakand Prince

Never...but then again I never did in Civ IV either. By that time the game is either handily won or lost.

3. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Not very often. About the same as CivIV. I'd get part way into it, take a few days off from playing, come back and decide I want to try something different. But no, it's not because of your "suspicion" that the game is boring. ;)

4. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

LOL.... never said that was my suspicion... I just think I know how the skew will work is all :crazyeye:

5. Tokira

Tokira Warlord

I always have intention to finish my games but I voted that I finish them sometimes but not often. I never choose what kind of victory I want to achieve in the game and I just go by the feeling. However, I find it boring to play if my victory or loss is quarenteed and then I usually stop the game and start a new one.

I enjoy the Antic-industrial eras the most while I somewhat dislike the modern/future eras so I usually end up my game soon after the modern era starts. Due to these things I've finished only 2 out of about 10-15 games I've played. I've also wasted a lot of time to test some games but quit due to not liking the starting location ;)

6. MadRat

MadRat Cheese Raider

rarely - the end game just gets too moronic, especially the all-war/all-the time new diplo system, an AI that cheats so maddeningly, domination via puppetron empire being the best way to win AND the "you winz teh CiV" lame as hell pop-up is just 0 incentive to play on.

half the time though it is the lack of vital resource that makes me stop (Aluminum and coal being the two biggest pains in the posterior).

Rat

7. Zionel

Zionel Chieftain

I usually start a new game once i'm certain I've won or lost. I may finish if I want to test some endgame features/strategies, or if i'm close to the popup. This is how I used to play the other games in the series as well. For me, these kind of games are quite boring once you know the outcome.

8. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I know what you mean, but the end of game at least is less boring than the CivIV end in my opinion. The last half of most of the games seemed to be just for padding your score, which I really don't care about that much.

9. Hesha

Hesha Prince

I voted never - Should have clicked rarely I guess, haven't actually played that many games yet, but I don't feel very encouraged to keep playing. It is to easy... I never steamrolled through civs with roughly as many points as myself on Monarch/King difficulty in the previous civs and I've played them all from civ1. Conquest/Domination is a complete piece of cake, because the AI is tactically ********.

10. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

um, how exactly is coal "vital"? you don't need it for RR, ironclads are unupgradeable and nearly useless if you have access to iron (kinda ironic, huh?) the only thing you need it for is factories, and for very little money you can trade for it. one trade should be enough to get you factories, and then you can just forget about it. no aluminum is annoying but probably no worse than limited/no oil, in fact I would say that no oil is probably worse.

I would rank strategic resources post-patch in order of importance:
    1. iron - far and away most important. cats, trebs, swords, and longswords are, in some order, the 4 most important units pre renaissance (and probably for the entire game).
    2. oil - bombers, battleships, tanks, fighters, carriers - if the game is still competitive at this point oil can often push it in your direction.
    3. uranium - nukes and gdr's. if you don't have other resources you should beeline uranium b/c typically lack of some resources means lots of others.
    4. horses - not really that useful now imho but upgrading to tanks helps a bit. only listed this high b/c it is so early-game that having it can make/break you at the highest levels.
    5. aluminum - stealth bombers/fighters, missile destroyers, modern armor, rocket artillery. all good, nice to have, etc etc but none is really necessary if you have plenty of oil. conversely, I've played games with aluminum but no oil and it was a real pita b/c no upgrading of oil units caused long build times/expensive purchases, further dealying the ramp up of aluminum-based units. one time I mass-upgraded artillery to rocket artillery b/c I had no oil at all, I ended up keeping the rocket artillery but it wasn't that much better than regular artillery.
    60000. coal - meh.

11. Aldor

Aldor King

I wasn't sure which option to choose. Eventually picked always, because it fits best.

I think I quit one time mid-game because it was just becoming unbearable, constant war and no fun anymore. Otherwise, I start lots of games, but quit early (after like 15-20 turns) if I don't like the land around, or have too many neighbors close etc. But IF I get into a game, I will play it through to the win (I played lots on warlord, and now on prince, so there's not much chance to loose really).

12. Nares

Nares Emperor

I don't finish CiV games because even if the game doesn't crash on me, I know there's no in-game replay, and even the consolation prize of a victory screen is underwhelming.

13. MadRat

MadRat Cheese Raider

Without factories you are going to have a lot of trouble with production - pray you have lots of uranium. Given how the AI cheats at production at high levels not having factories is a huge hamstring. You are right about trading but i regularly find that coal is in very short supply - few if any civs have it for trade and by late game even if you're a pacifist they everyone will hate you and ask an arm and leg.

I just find it rather stupid that most of these "rare" resources are actually very common in reality. Oil, uranium I can see as being vital but not the others.

Suggested other resources to be used instead for resource contention

1) Silver - remove it from luxury - silver was (until paper money) the most common medium of exchange and control of a good supply was essential to keeping an economy healthy. (medieval) Replaces iron for trebuchets and longswords

2) Oak - (renaissance) wood is common, but good solid ship building oak for age of sail ships was a solid trade commodity. Replaces iron for frigates/SOLs.

3) Rare earths (modern age) are very sought after commodities and essential to modern electronics - could replace aluminum.

4) Remove coal - It is just far too common and it just hamstrings people.

Rat

14. Strategy Master

Strategy Master Chieftain

I have completed all my meager total of 7 games (7 wins, 0 losses), clocking 107 hours, last game completed on King difficulty.

15. Deep_Blue

Deep_Blue Knight

The game gets boring after the industrial age, I always push for a win in medieval, or else I will gradually lose my interest in finishing the game as it goes on.

The boring end game existed in civ4 but in Civ5 the end game is double boring.The cause of this is that usually in the final third of the game things are settled and you are usually dominating the map, so the following actions gets repetitive and boring.

The question is how to make things still interesting and how to force some challenge even if you are dominating?? I remember in Civ4 I had an awesome game which was very entertaining to the last turn, because there were two super powers in the game (me and Mayas on separate continents) and we had an epic back and forth war that ended with diplomatic victory.

16. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Rarely. I usually get a crash about 600 turns in on Huge/Epic.

I was hoping that the patch would put an end to this, but it happened again last night. I'm off to see how far I can go on an autosave.

17. Jonathan

Jonathan Prince

I voted Never because I didn't get to see the full explanation before voting. I usually do see a Victory pop-up, but only because I limit my games to 200 turns using the advanced game setup option.

18. glaivemaster

glaivemaster Prince

I tend to forget about a game, then come back to Civ and want to play something new; or I don't have enough focus to figure out a victory condition if I am doing well; or I decide that there's a specific achievement I want, and start a new game to try and get it

19. basta

basta Prince

Just a note on the wording of the poll: to me at least, "Rarely" and "Sometimes but not often" are purely semantic distinctions and you're saying the same thing twice. Fold the votes together.

I chose this because the endgame is so tedious and the victory screen is a joke.

20. Tavenier

Tavenier King

I actually finished it yesterday for the first time (As France). Has nothing to do with Civ 5 BTW, because in previous Civs I also only finished 1 out of 20 games. Usually I am so powerful that I stop caring.
    The game I finished yesterday was one where the Mongols on another continent were becoming very, very big and taking over big cities from Babylon and India. They also had completed Manhattan and I think if I didn't finish the space ship I would have been nuked.