How often do you reload a save?

How often do you reload a save to alter events?

• All the time, nearly every battle I lose

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • I can't stand to lose a city, reload

Votes: 13 4.4%
  • If I miss a crucial wonder, I'll go back and hurry it

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • If I make a critical mistake, I'll go back and fix it

Votes: 95 31.9%
  • I always save before each war, just in case

Votes: 49 16.4%
  • Never, it's just not right

Votes: 126 42.3%

• Total voters
Kerrang said:
I normally save just before declaring war if I am uncertain of the other Civilizations capabilities. Once the war gets rolling for a few turns, I seldom go back and reload, especially if it is late in the game. It is only on those rare occasions when the enemy is far more powerful than I had thought they would be that I will go back and take a few more turns to build up, or research that crucial tech that I need to make a good showing.
Too bad Iraq can't go back to 1989 and do it all over agian. :lol:

I've only re-loaded twice, and both were because I pressed the wrong button on the numberpad and my unit went to a wrong square. I just reloaded to move him correctly. I don't consider that cheating, just fixing the bad interface between my mind and the the keyboard.

Only if I myself made I mistake. E. g.: I want to built an aqueduct. but suddenly pop-up advises me to built settler, and I click yes.

Like losing a fight where I had a 98% chance to win, or accidentaly making wierd actions (like declaring war instead of moving my worker one square left...).
Do you also reload if you win a fight where you had a 2% chance to win? ;)

Now I just restart the whole game instead of reloading lol. I also reload when I lose multiple 85%+ battles in a row. I usually let up to 2 slip, but when it gets me up to 3, that just gets me mad.
You too -- will you reload if you win three 15%- battles in a row?

I don't really consider that cheating though, after all, beyond Noble the AI is cheating against you, so no reason not to "cheat back" if you feel like it.
The AI is cheating against you to make up for your superior skills -- not to make up for your superior cheating ability. :p

No reload , just learn from your mistakes for the next game.
Its just as bad as using worldbuilder multiple times and afterwords comin to say yay i beat .... difficulity.

While I don't make a habbit of it, I have done it on occasion. Sometimes I just get really frustrated by loosing five swordsmen to two archers in a level 2 barb city without walls and decide I want a do over because I'm having a bad day overall and I don't care about the odds, I just want to kill barbs.

Overall, the load process is so slow I don't generally bother unless I let it really bug me. Most of the time I just build up 10 swordmen for the next attempt.

I do save my game before declaring war but I do not do saves during wars for the purpose of jumping back if I lose a battle. I only jump back if I take such heavy losses that I cannot recover and I figure the game was lost. If I win the game, I don't really count it as a big thing because I know I didn't win it on the first attempt...

... honestly tho, I don't play to win, I just play because I can. I've got a game going right now that I've turned off all the victory conditiosn except domination and conquest... it is the year 2052 and I'm finally getting geared up to have a good war. I'm not playing to win, just to have something to do and learn better strategies.

I reload like crazy when I am learning something new. I will reload a lost city, a lost unit, a missing wonder, or a misplaced city. I will reload anything that demonstrates a point to me and lets me learn from that mistake.

"Well what if I had done this...*reload".
"Huh that didn't work well either"
"What if I had done this? *reload*"
"Hrm better but still not that great."

I don't see it is a problem or as cheating. People that consider reloading home games cheating need to seriously re-evaluate priorities. People are playing a game for fun and if they make a mistake that ruins the fun then by all means they should reload.

If this were a competition then reloading is of course off-limits. But we are talking about private home games. Reload that failed attack, reload that lost city. Go back and bring more units or reinforce that city. Hopefully you learn a little from it and get a feel for casuality rates and appropriate defenses.

ZOMG IT IS CHEATING!!! what a bunch of losers.

I play almost entirely multiplayer, so no I don't reload, but it would be fun to say "hey dude, you are winning, its time to reload now kk?". ;) I do play the game over from the beginning, though, since I feel that is fair enough and it still improves my ability to play multiplayer (which is my ultimate purpose for playing single player anyway).

Never ever ever reload when I'm playing a real game. Even if I make a critical, game-altering mistake, I'd rather just admit defeat and begin a new game rather than try to reload with a 20/20 hindsight. When I'm playing not to win, but just to try some different strategies on the same environment, I'll reload all the time, but that to me is not a real game, but rather sandbox-play.

I think its better to learn from the penalty of the mistake, than the mistake itself. So, I never reload. If it costs me the game, who is to blame?

Dreef said:
People that consider reloading home games cheating need to seriously re-evaluate priorities. People are playing a game for fun and if they make a mistake that ruins the fun then by all means they should reload.
I agree. Thats why I play, to enjoy myself and detox from bad stresses. If I were playing competitively, 1) I wouldn't relod and 2) I'd play on a harder level of dificulty than warlord :crazyeye:

People that consider reloading home games cheating need to seriously re-evaluate priorities. People are playing a game for fun and if they make a mistake that ruins the fun then by all means they should reload.
People that consider reloading home games (to get ahead) cheating because it is. If someone has more fun when they reload, that just means they enjoy cheating more than playing it straight. It doesn't magically mean that it's not cheating.

I reloaded frequently when i first got the game to expieriment with strats in the middle ages and beyomd. Not because I didn't like the results, but rather to avoid playing for a few hours just to get back to that stage to try something new. I reload when making errant clicks that send units places where i never intended them to go. I reload if I forget to do something important . I don't reload because I am getting my ass kicked. i don't reload because a hut gave me another darn map or my 40th scout. I don't reload because I found a better starting city spot. Though in single player there is no "cheating" you're the owner of the game, you get to make the rules.

One thing annoys me enough to reload:

I'm beating the snot out of some civilization and taking his cities (giving me those little 1-square culture areas) and some AI "friend" of mine comes in and plops a settler in the recently vacated space, despite the fact I own 90 percent of the continent. It would be like France settling a city outside Mexico City after I'd just beaten back the Aztecs. Makes me want to scream.

Haven't been playing too long, but I like to learn from my mistakes... and trust me. If I saved in anticipation of every mistake I was likely to make, I'd run out hard drive space very very quickly :)

I figure reloading is good for AFTER I've already lost the game, admited to myself that I lost the game, and then decide that there is no reason why all those nukes I built (just in case) should go to waste :D

There was this time after the Americans used 40 marines to amphibious assault York and take it and I saw the "You have been defeated" screen that I thought I would just hit load and try that battle again. Then I remembered it was multiplayer so I went to sulk in the corner instead.

As I most often play multiplayer games, reload is not even an option. However, when I am playing single player, I don't consider it cheating to reload. I play the game as I wish because it has no impact on anyone else. I don't use civ games for bragging rights or to show off my deity wins so why would anyone care whether I reload or not. Though for the most part I don't reload anyway because playing in multiplayer has made me really get used to adjusting to mistakes and overcoming them, but it has nothing to do with whether I consider it cheating or not.

*Of course if I am playing GOTM or any other defined rules games I will abide by the rules of the competitions*

MyOtherName said:
People that consider reloading home games (to get ahead) cheating because it is. If someone has more fun when they reload, that just means they enjoy cheating more than playing it straight. It doesn't magically mean that it's not cheating.

I definetly agree with this statement 100%

Islandia said:
However, when I am playing single player, I don't consider it cheating to reload. I play the game as I wish because it has no impact on anyone else.

Just because something has no impact on someone else doesn't make it right or not of a cheating nature.
Ex1: Solitaire (when playing witth cards not on the comp...when was the last time anyone did that :lol:), But anyways when you have two red 7's that can moved onto a black 8 you look at both cards under each of the sevens and take the best choice.
Does this affect anyone else?
no.
Is it cheating yes.

Ex2: You are golfing by yourself, and you miss an tremendously easy put, you take a muligan. Cheating, especially if you don't count it on your score card
Does this have impact on anyone else?
No
Is it cheating yes

So Reloading is cheating, try and convince yourself otherwise, or don't if you have fun doing it then continue

And others don't, And I too was blinded by this until I actually saw the real fun of the game from not being able to reload and use it as a crutch.
Now this only my personal experience and others like has been stated here already can have fun however they want but it is a fake feeling of satisfaction.
Ex1: Sweet I won on Monarch, but I reloaded 2 times during the game when the AI caught me off gaurd.
Ex2: Hey player X I scored amount Y on Noble, player X doesn't cheat and is in awe of your single player ability.

Now as for personally how do I use reloading?
After the game is done.

Ex: 500AD I get pumped somewhere lose a crucial city, once the game is over and I have won or lost I will go back to that point and sometimes before to analyze what could have been different, but again not until the game is already over.

But that just me, play how you want
But remember if you tell yourself a lie enough times does it become true?
Civ equivalent: If you reload enough times and tell yourself it isn't cheating does it not become cheating?

To each is own :cool:

MyOtherName said:
Do you also reload if you win a fight where you had a 2% chance to win? ;)
I wouldn't get myself in that situation in the first place.
If I see I have 2% to win, I run away!

And seriously, I don't see reloading very critical mistakes as cheating. If I just doomed my empire, I don't feel like playing at all and I'll probably abandon the game and never play it again. So its pretty much game over anyway, in which case its OK to load, to "rescue" what's left of the game.

I reload only after system crashes (which sometimes happen when playing on huge maps).

When I make a mistake, a make a mistake and have to deal with it.

Of course it's harder to win without reloading, but the sweetness of the victory has no foul smell.:goodjob:

i used to be a reloader, but i have started to play without. GREAT FUN!

yeah, i am getting furious when things are not going as i had planned, or i make a stupid mistake. But it's SO MUCH more rewarding to win without reloading.

You're going to attack a civ and don't know how strong he is?

Save, attack and reload?

Wrong! Espionage, spread religion, don't attack if you are not sure, plan ahead. That's how it works.

So i only save and reload when i go to sleep and play next time.

Offcourse it's up to you, but just try it for once!

Top Bottom