1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you slot GP cards?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Karmah, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Karmah

Karmah Chieftain Supporter

I realize I never use them. I think I 'm missing out. Even the most obvious ones, the great prophet, I forget to slot. Tbh I only recently started to play with a religion again. (In GS world, faith is really much better, and founding at immortal has become less of a shot in the foot).

Back to the point, do you play those cards early to grab a GG or a GS for instance, maybe first great work of writing?

PS: I play immortal and deity, I fear answers below emperor might not apply to me.

acluewithout likes this.
  2. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

I usually use them to grab a Great Person I really want that's heavily contested in the early game.

I rarely use them after the midgame though. I usually have more important things to slot.

3. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

Great Prophet sometimes but for most civs there won't be a wildcard slot available before all prophets are gone.

aguliondew and acluewithout like this.
  4. ezzlar

ezzlar Chieftain

Never. District and first building is usually same effect. After that the bonus is too small compared to the wildcard alternatives.

5. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

Sometimes use the science one as soon as I can, if the Great Scientist is nice. Works especially well as Greece.

6. Kevdood83

Kevdood83 Chieftain

Usually just the prophet one, if possible, in the early game.

By mid to late game, pretty much never. Too many other ones with way better benefits.

aguliondew and acluewithout like this.
  7. racha

racha Chieftain

I've always got at least one great person card slotted - scientists, prophets (running RwF), generals and I modded a card to complement the Great Believers mod.

acluewithout likes this.
  8. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Emperor and lower player here, so may not apply, but I used to almost never use them. But last few games I've found I use them more. (A couple of emperor single player and some hot seat games with my kids on lower levels.)

Only in the first few eras to target specific desired people, but, yes I use them a little.

9. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Is it weird, that I use them all the time then?

10. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Great Generals, since encampment timing is almost always awkward.

11. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

I just feel like I don't have room for them. Kindda use the same once every game for specific victory types.

12. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Other than very occasionally Great Prophet as above, I don't think I've ever used them and can't imagine a situation that I would.

13. 7daysofwar

7daysofwar Chieftain

I actually always use them, just different ones depending on which civ I am playing.

14. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

Never for me... there's always something better to slot honestly.

15. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

To be honest, the +2 never seems to do much for me, I still can never get a great person (great scientist for example). I rely mostly on districts for GPP.

16. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

Like most here, it depends and is almost always an agonizing choice: Do I Really, really need that GP, and Why? And if there isn't a really, really pressing reason, then there are, as said, much better uses for the Card Slot.

That said, in 2000+ hours I don't think I've ever used a Card for any Great Person other than Great Prophet (rarely) or Great Scientist.
    IF I'm playing a Domination game, Great Generals will come automatically, and if I'm playing a different game they aren't needed.
    Same with a Culture Victory game and Great Writers/Artists/Musicians - if I'm building the districts, buildings and wonders for the Victory, the GPs will come automatically.
    I suppose if I were playing a Gold Game Great Merchants might be worth a card, but that's only a means to another type of Victory and Gold is so easy to get it's never been a necessity no matter what Civ I'm playing.

17. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

The +4 GPP means very little by that time in the game, highly useless
    The +2 early on the other hand can be invaluable. Great writers and great general in particular.
    60 GPP point for earlier and +2 by itself mean you earn one in 30 turns.
    Ever wanted to play Gorgo properly? Build and encampment and slot +2 GG and get one in 20 turns, very early.
    Playing against Scotland that +2 for an early scientist for the eureka really helps
    Even a Greek prophet is a thing of early creation with the +2 prophet card.

Beyond that, nah, maybe +2 GM if I have few commercial districts and need the GM inspiration. Maybe +2 GA if wanting to play with paintings and +2 GE if wanting the early wonder production GE (mausoleum helps here)...Scraping the bottom of the barrel but I have used every one of the above more than once. They are only really important when really concentrating on things to speed up victory.

I have slotted +4 GE before also because I really want the one that is coming up.

18. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

The problem, as you pointed out, is that by the time you are concentrating to speed up a victory the bonus is pretty trivial. Like many here, I don't think I've ever used a GP Card after the middle of the game unless it was to augment a completely Non-Victory condition. Like, I'm playing for a Culture Victory and I run into Genghis and Shaka during late exploration and so just maybe a GG would be useful . . .

19. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

+2 Great Prophet I use in most games.
    +2 Great Engineer I use from time to time, if I have a shot at getting early engineer for wonder boost.

The others I use next to never.

20. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

One of the best ways to speed up a victory is eurekas and inspirations. 1GS = 154 science, 1 GM = 288 culure. I do not ignore these often.
    And I do not wait until T100 before concentrating if playing for a standard VC. I'll look at my surroundings, what CS etc by about T20-30.