1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How prevalent is slavery? (and how advanced?)

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by deadliver, Jun 7, 2009.

1. deadliver

deadliver Loud Mouth Amateur

I am working on a module/almost mod mod mod focusing on the Slavery Civic.

How organized is slavery in FFH? Is there a civ (other than Balseraph using slaves to become freaks, doviello upgrading slave units) that profits immensely from enslaving. Is there a center for slave trading?

EDIT: I mean hardcore slavers, those who profit immensely, as in they are the prominent members of their civ, perhaps they are despised elsewhere. Think of the Red Wizards of Thay but imagine them as slavers.

2. Korias

Korias King

I would imagine that the Svartalfar are the biggest slavers- they have the Kidnap ability which thematically, is the enslavement of a great person, and would use the "Dirty (insert race here)" to do their intense manual labor.

3. Guale

Guale Warlord

Well the Undercouncil can set up a slave traing ring.

4. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

Yeah, pretty much any nation running the Undercouncil would be prone to slaving - the versatliity is the greatest part of this game. One game, you can have a thorough good and Order Bannor, the next game a Bannor that does not despise any methods to do the right thing, even deception and enslaving. I could see almost every civ enslaving in one situation or the other.

In my mini-NOTW (2), I had the Undercouncil be hugely influencial in Kuriotate lands, having a large slave trade in Kwythellar despite the official law against slavery.

5. deadliver

There is already a civ that has a propensity towards Crusade, the Bannor. Why not have a civ that has the same lust for the slavery civ?

6. Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid King

I dunno if you've done much reading about the Old Norse/Vikings...but Jotnar is their name for giants. The Jotnar obviously have lots of norse touches...art, unit names, etc...

What I'm getting at is that the Old Norse were very enthusiastic slavers. They staged frequent massive slave raids on the Slavs...one of the main reasons that some of them were around to settle down as the Rus, actually. Thrall is actually the Norse word for slave, more or less. They made extensive use of them, and traded slaves with various other civilizations of the time.

In short...the Jotnar are your huckleberry. They are perfectly set up for it...hard to revolt and overpower master when he is 12' tall. :lol:

7. Giga-Gigan

Giga-Gigan Warlord

It used to be that the Overlords religion was thematically involved with slavery, they still are if you count mind stapling, and the Tower of Complacency.

8. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Could be that the Anglo word "slave" could come from Slav? ... a guess?

9. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

Not just a guess, actually. I'll look for it, but I've come across that Etymology before.

10. deadliver

Supposedly it was because the Slavic people were popular targets for slaving raids (by Vikings mainly) However I have heard elsewhere that this was really just racial propaganda.

11. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

On some OT thread a while back I heard someone arguing that Sclavus actually came from a Greek word (something like Sclabos) for slave and wasn't connected to Slavs. Someone else then though pointed out that said Greek word was also Greek for Slav.

12. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

I had an odd occurrence my last game. The Balseraphs founded Overlords. Normally I see them running AV or CoE, but when I thought about it. OO fits the Balseraphs better lore-wise then any other civilization, even the Lanun(with the possible exception of Hannah) I mean, think about it.... Slavery, Mind Magic... it synchronizes perfectly!

13. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Emperor

Perpentach is actually set to prioritize OO, all other things being equal, over other religions. (Keelyn prefers AV.)

14. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

As far as I know, Slave<-Slavic was a soviet propaganda against rome and europe in USSR. But there're various theories.

That's what I've found in some sources:

Also I know there's a greek word &#963;&#954;&#955;&#945;&#946;&#974;&#957;&#969; which appeared much earlier.

Even more, the first ruler known was Rurik (I am not sure about english way to write it) who came from Scandinavia. Slavic sources tell that he "was elected", but many historians think that he could just... well, come to rule.

15. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Deon, are those Russian letters or Greek letters. I know greek n russian are supposed to be similar, its just intense seing that alphabet on a mostly english forum :D (im also surprised it didnt show up on my screen as error, like the Kanji does)

16. Edgewaters

Edgewaters Chieftain

It was propaganda, but it was also true that they were popular targets for slave raids by Scandinavians, who sold them in Byzantium (that's how slavers get rich - exporting to groups that buy slaves).

Kind of like how a derogatory term for black Americans used to be "cotton-pickers". It was derogatory/propaganda, but it was also true that many of them were employed as slaves on cotton plantations.

17. evanb

evanb Prince

Those are Greek letters. You have them in the font-file Symbol :)

18. xxHammerxx

xxHammerxx rage monkey

Some of the most effective lies/propaganda are those with veins of truth.