How risky are you in wars?

I can't remember ever going to take a city with less than 3 units. But if i had 3, i would sent the new guy every time and get my good one promoted higher. I always want 2 more units than the defender.

Many of you stick too much in NUMBERS and trivia, while the question was a different one. If you want the same question with 3 units, have 3 units 60-30-30 or whatever else. You can also make it "4 axemen vs two archers, 60-60-30-30 odds, or 6 grenadier vs 3 riflemen, 60-60-60-40-40-40 odds". My point is to see how much is it reasonable to risk.

And no, you can't wait for catapults - they are about 2000 years away for this scenario. Also don't stick in specific units: suppose it's Modern Armor age but the situation is same: imagine you have two Modern Armors vs one, with odds 60-30, and you want (for whatever the reason you think critical - perhaps because you want to save that town) to attack at THAT turn and you don't have any more Stealth Bombers around. Which way do you go?

As correctly stated by some, AI is not afraid to start with the low odds units - but I wonder if this is a correct policy (that's why I posted the question).

I need to know the following.

Early game or Late game?
What's my civ?
Who am I fighting?
How important is this city, locationally?
How important is this city strategically?
Is it an AI production center?
How useful will the city be to my empire?
Is it developed?
What kind of victory am I going for?
Do I have other units with better XP elsewhere?

I'm gonna add some other questions:
- How many cities do you intend to take after this one?
- How long has the war been going on (war weariness)?
- How long can you keep up the war (war weariness)?
- How much time does it take to make a new unit and get it there?

In most cases though, I'll attack with the strongest unit that hasn't reached Combat IV yet. (I'm not going to risk a future commando unit)

given the new infos by the op, I go with the good one first
odds are he lives
if he doesn't you have high odds to get the city anyway
So in the end you should have 2 axemen left, one being in full health. If per bad luck you don't, you still got the city with one hurt axeman that should get a promotion (giving him some health back).

The other way round,
the bad axeman usually gets killed, odds are high he doesn't even scratch the defender
the good one should get the city, but will be hurt bad. It could happen you end up losing!
With this solution, you in most case end up with one hurt axeman, that probably won't get any promotion (higher promotion are a far way to go). You can even end with nothing!

Top Bottom