How seriously do you focus on the religion giving techs?

Tygari

Chieftain
I was curious how imptaunt are the religion giving techs to most people here mew.
When I play I go straight for the religions techs to the exclusion of other stuff often.
My reasons for this is for the money production when I make the shrine wonder later on mew.
I once played a focuson these so hard that i raced through and got all 7 really fast mew.
I only had my first city and a second city and all 7 religions founded in my second city mew.
Made for some amazing money productions out of that city mew.
Espcially since I built things like the temple of artimis, great light house, and wall street there mew.
Does anyone else focus hard on the religion giving techs mew?

Sometimes. On the harder difficulties, though, half the world is Buddhist and if you don't found Buddhism (the AIs usually do) everyone hates you because you have "fallen under the sway of a heavenly religion".

It declines in importance as the levels get higher, but as always, you play the hand you're dealt. I've had an Emperor game as Hyena Tupac where I was able to get Hinduism early, spread it, get the later ones, and later take the Buddhist shrine from Brennus; generated alot of cash/culture/simplified diplo (AP win). But it all depends on the leader traits/opening techs, the quality of the start, and the map. Start with Mysticism, have a bunch of Commerce resources, and peaceful/far away neighbors; it can be viable. Cramped map wedged in between Monty and Shaka with some poor land; not so much.

I was curious how imptaunt are the religion giving techs to most people here mew.
When I play I go straight for the religions techs to the exclusion of other stuff often.
My reasons for this is for the money production when I make the shrine wonder later on mew.
I once played a focuson these so hard that i raced through and got all 7 really fast mew.
I only had my first city and a second city and all 7 religions founded in my second city mew.
Made for some amazing money productions out of that city mew.
Espcially since I built things like the temple of artimis, great light house, and wall street there mew.
Does anyone else focus hard on the religion giving techs mew?

I consider founding a religion to be really low priority for many reasons.
1. Early on there are much better techs to be researching. (BW? AH?)
2. Late religions are harder to spread.
3. If you really want a holy city, you can just seize one.
4. If you do decide to go for, say polytheism, another civ might get it the turn before you and now you've basically wasted all that :science:.

irrelevant;
"Excuse me, are you saying meow? "
"could have sworn you said meow"
"Do I look like a cat to you, boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree?"

relevant;
I rarely focus on religion, generally I only ever found Confucianism when I get COL off the Oracle. Then the great profit to found the shrine no where to be seen because I'm normally focusing on scientists.

I will however, give it enough attention to have my state religion (if I founded it or not) to all of my cities so I can get max benefit from my religion civic. Mid or Late game I will spread my religion (if I have a shrine) when making the missionaries is very quick and not bringing the cities focus off building something else.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Wall of text :sad:. Use some spacing :).

Religions have diminishing returns. Just having 1 is good for :) and possibly diplo. A couple more are useful under FR possibly to help. Other than that it's hard to get much (maybe a couple shrines).

Mono, CoL, and Philosophy open up useful civics though, but that doesn't mean you should over prioritize the religious line.

I don't bother with founding any, unless it's accidental. Maybe I'll get to CoL first and wind up with Confucianism, but I really don't try. I usually won't even adopt one right away, unless I really need a state religion for OR or Theocracy. I wait for the world to sort itself out and then join with the big crowd, or whatever my neighbors have if they're powerful (and cross with me). It all depends on the power graph, and you take less of a hit for no religion than you do for having the wrong one.

I usually do not bother with meditation and polytheism, since I prefer developing my civ first. Unless special plan.

I often consider the other ones (with the possible exception of divine right) depending on situations; but this is more often due to the fact that I want the tech; the religion is a nice bonus, but I can usually live without. Though this will make me beeline more these techs if I see fit (especially for CoL :) )

That said, your writing style is very annoying.

I tend to wind up with Code of Laws (deliberately) or Theology (through a Great Priest), and often get the religion as well. Several times recently, I've gotten Judaism without really trying for it; I was just setting up Theology and happened to be the first to Monotheism. I like to get at least one holy city, even if it's not for my state religion.

I like to get at least one holy city, even if it's not for my state religion.
I like to take at least one holy city, even if it's not for my state religion. ;)

I may play a game soon as Ramses, and I'll go the religious route.

Usually, I wait and let my neighbors give me a religion. I adapt and adopt according to diplomatic advantage, who I decide to make my friend, and who I decide to wipe off the map. I nearly always adopt a religion in time for theocracy, so that I can max out some promotions.

I like to take ALL the holy cities. As long as they have a shrine i'll marshal my troops and say:

"Get over there right meow!"

Spoiler :
Super Troopers

I used to beeline for religion, but this often came at the expense of developing your land and crushing a neighbour early. Instead, I would rather they build me my wonders (at least the early ones) and shrines, while I expand and/or raise a army to take all their things away. I suggest try a map and play it different ways so that you can get a feel for how successful one strategy is vs another.

mew. :)

I seriously do not have anything useful to add except that I ignore religion. I will choose to get a state religion if it is beneficial but I will not shoot to found one. If I get writing and foresee a missionary of my neighbors coming my way I may shoot for mono because of the OR civic. In other cases I do not really try to get the techs. If I found a religion it is a nice bonus but I rarely choose to even spread it.

I'm quite fond of an early Monotheism in my builder games if I think I can snag Judaism; Organised Religion is quite helpful if you want to build multiple wonders and the Oracle/MC slingshot makes the religious line a worthwhile investment - researching the techs up to priesthood and building the Oracle takes less investment than researching Metal Casting by hand.

Mono is a worthy investment no matter what: it's cheap, often relatively easy to trade for if needed, and the civic is worth running as long as you can run a religion at all.

Really all the religious techs have some merit but trying for too many means giving up valuable other opportunities early on...it's a balance.

Top Bottom