1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How should we deal with the Aztecs?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game II: Polls' started by eyrei, Nov 5, 2002.

?

How should we deal with the Aztecs?

Poll closed Nov 7, 2002.
  1. Sign a peace treaty now for their maps, and Tlacopan.

16 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. Destroy them!

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Abstain

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

This poll contains the options presented in this thread. It will run for two days, and the results will be binding.

Note that we will be receiving all techs in Aztec possession from the Great Library next turn.

2. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

I was for destroying them. It seemed like the best thing to do. I also liked Eklektikos' plan of just remaining at war with them in hopes of getting a GL. It's a tough poll...
    I'm going to vote for the peace treaty, getting the world map and Tlacopan. Then we can feed off them in twenty turns.

3. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

I think we should sign a peace treaty with the Aztecs. We gain a free city without risking casualties, and we get a map that could possibly give us a glimpse of Japan's territory - maybe more.

Why should we spend a few extra turns slowly marching down to finish the Aztecs off when we can immmediately(as in next turn) send our troops due west to fortify just outside Japan? This increases our chances of settling any number of sites north of Tlacoplan and Octavinium, especially if we fortify in the mountains.

The Aztecs' time will come, but let us first acquire these unclaimed lands.

4. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

I think either option will certainly benefit Fanatika. However, I did choose 'A' because I believe that in twenty turns, even with their advanced production, we should be able to handle them and if they do expand, it will only increase our chances of producing another Great Leader.

Note: I think option 'A' implicitly includes everything else we can get in addition to their maps and the city.

5. Plexus

Plexus Architeuthidae puericomedentis

As 40J said above, A is the most viable option. It will allow for 20+ turns of peaceful expansion into lands to the north, west and east.

6. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

i would like a peace with 20 turns of massive settlement to secure our existing territory against foreign settlement.
    the the final blow on the atzis.
    with only 1 city left and the japs and us near them massively expanding, this should be no problem. i think they will get max 2-3 more cities till in 20 turns, and should then be finished withing maybe one or two turnchats, allowing us even further expansion to the sw and near japan.
    as the japaneese are obviously north of them, this will also put us up in a good strategic position against them, as i think we will then have 2 borders to their territory to assault them.

7. Kennelly

Kennelly Starfleet Admiral

I say let's roll over them!

8. Eklektikos

Eklektikos Eponymous

Not really sure how to vote in this one, since I don't want to destroy them or make peace with them... :hmm:

Guess I'll just go for the peace option in the hopes that we can "farm" them later :)

9. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

Eklektikos
    I really like your notion of a "Great Leader farm".

If we were to attempt this, I think peace for now would be the best path as it would give them twenty turns to build up some new cities and or units. Even with their increased productivity, it is unlikely that twenty turns of production can result in much of a threat to us, but it will provide us with more opportunities for our elite units to get promoted.

10. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

I would like to point out, once again, that unless we manage to get a great leader out of them in the next war, we have sacrificed territory (at least one, probably more, cities) for 80 gold, because 80 gold is all we are getting out of this peace deal, as that is the value of the Japanese territory map, which is the only one we really need at the moment.

That said, I will now say that we are going to lose this game badly if we do not remain an aggressive, warlike civilization!:mad:

11. Bill_in_PDX

Bill_in_PDX Grumpy Submariner

I fear that our complete lack of culture makes us vulnerable to flipping. The only way to ensure that doesn't happen is to eliminate the homeland that these newly liberated Fanatikans would want to return to.

Let's crush them and buy the map from Japan directly.

12. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

eyrei and bill are right. we have no culture. The AI does. the only way we will win this game is by force. Stop thinking like we are Phoneticans. They had culture up the wazoo. We dont. We need to win by doing what we do best, killing our enemies! Monty must pay!!
    Also- Kill Zem!!!

13. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Eyrei, we can still maintain agression by getting in position for our next battle. At first, I was totally against picking a fight with Japan but now I too am concerned about the samurai threat. Spending a few extra turns NOW to finish off the Aztecs does not make sense when we can get ready for our battle with Japan NOW. Our best shot at that is to fortify in the mountains just outside of Japan NOW.

Most of our country has the luxury of being housed inside a geograhical bunker if we are quick enough to claim that luxury. We may already be too late. SO THE TIME TO END THIS WAR AND BEGIN THE NEXT IS NOW.