How smart am I?

naturalmwa

Chieftain
How can I tell where I rank in science? The only way I have been able to figure out where the AI researching it to watch for new units or new wonders being built. How do I know how much I need to empasize the tech race if i don't know where I am in the race?

I did find the science space man on the victory screen, but that seems to only relate to the apollo program and doesn't provide insight into the competition.

Yeah I don't think there's a way to know until that popup shows up.

They definitely need to give us more info during the game, even if it's just something like "CivA is slightly more advanced than us" or "CivB is equally matched in military strength to us" and stuff like that.

You can look up your rank in all aspects under <something> (I forget the exact name, but it is 2nd from the bottom in the list) demographics. The button is a small piece of paper in the upper left-hand corner. It is right next to the social policies button. I believe science is labeled as "literacy".

Thanks m8, thought that just ment the amount of libraries and other science buildings in my cities. But i suppose in civ5 having the buildings and doing the research are really the same thing, still need to remind myself there are no sliders.

Over all I love the pace of Civ5 much better then prior versions, turns speed along. But sometimes i miss all the details the older games provided. I suppose a mod will come out soon to give me the best of both.

Thanks again for the speedy reply.

I can't wait for a bug mod, then a bat mod with graphics too.

If you have to ask that, probably not very :) (just kidding, the thread title kind of forced me to post that)

On a more serious note, this is a good question. Without espionage and tech trading there's no real way to tell unless you see new units or one of those great works tells you how well you're doing. I guess you could arrive at a decent estimate by tracking AI population over the course of the game, but that means you need a spreadsheet and dump vast amounts of time into updating it, make educated guesses about AI library building tendencies, cross-check with the pop-ups and so on. In short: Nothing I'd really do when playing below deity.

That said, looking at the number of citizens the AI has every few turns could make a lot of sense to at least get a feeling for it. The era messages supposedly help, too.

Top Bottom