How soon do you switch to Monarchy ?

Arrogant

Prince
I know it depends on many factors, but I'm looking for some best/worst case scenarios. Like "if I have it around XXXX it's great", or "if I don't have it by XXXX I'm toast".

Well, I'll switch as soon as possible UNLESS i'm doing well with a peaceful game. If I have good sized cities and a small military by the time I get Monarchy I may hold off and switch to Republic instead.

I generally play reasonably war-filled games and I very rarely go to Monarchy, and instead get Republic at first opportunity. :) That's generally well before 0 AD but the exact pace depends on land formation, size of the world, and goodie hut luck -- both mine and the AIs.

Arathorn

ASAP, unless I'm in the middle of a tight wonder race.

I switch to Republic as soon as I can. I rarely go to Monarchy anymore.

I go for Monarchy as soon as I can, because my economy usually can't handle Republic early on. :)

As an epic Roman, I go to Monarchy ASAP to give the most flexibility regarding warfare. I might or might not switch to Rep/Dem later on, depending on infrastructure and warfare potential.

Sadly enough, I usually just skip both Republic and Monarchy, and just trade for them later when I am ahead in the techs. I usually just make a beeline for Democracy if I am not a religious Civ (00.001% of the time), or trade for Republic, and use that to hold me off until I get Democracy, then Communism. I rarely ever use Monarchy, I just do not see the point for it.

I think Republic has lost some of it's early game charm, with the double unit upkeep now. Thats a real killer on the early econ, and Monarchy is a much more viable option. I usually try to go fairly early, ASAP if i'm religious, at a suitable time in the 'wonder race' (i.e. when i'm not building any) otherwise.

i often go for Monarchy and if it is a warring game often stay there the whole game, however if religious i might take republic at some later peaceful stage, yet to try seriously the other govs in C3C

I like Republic about 1500 b.c. and stay with it through the 2nd Era. It's a good wartime government. The double tax on the unit maintenance doesn't hurt too much, because of the free units. Just have to keep the military size down a little. If my unit maintenance is higher than the number of units then I'm too big.

I agree with Jazz_Newton: Republic is much less of an option in C3C.
I've up til now played a lot as agricultural civs. With the added importance of placing your cities by fresh water for agri civs, I usually find I have too many +6 cities for feudalism to be an option.
So monarchy asap :)

Btw and in addition to what I stated above: I'm gradually learning the importance of early warfare. And I usually need more resources than I have at the end of the ancient era for republic or feudalism to function (due to WW).

Just don't start a revolution while you are in a golden age. ;) You don't want to waste 7 or 8 of those precious turns turns in anarchy.

Early warfare / expansion drives my plans so much that i'm usually putting off Monarchy (or lately, Feudalism) way too long...
I'm either building for the next invasion, or doing it, and either way the long anarchy period seems intolerable.

Just one more war! :)

I used to never, ever, ever use Republic in my games. However, in C3C, I have actually now started to use Monarchy -- my first time ever.

In one game I made TWO wasted anarchy periods (I cheated -- when I tried to go Republic I reloaded and tried Monarchy, then reloaded and just did Despotism again -- I was embrioled in war and even Monarchy had too high of upkeep costs). The next time, after I was in Monarchy, I tried Republic but had to go back to Monarchy (I don't do more than 5 turns autosave, so I just basically went to anarchy to go back to the previous government -- the revolution failed!)

I have not tried communism yet (650 Mhz PC does not allow for particularly large games).

It looks like Fuedalism could be nice for a very, very tight city build.

I change to monarchy ASAP, usually between 1000-500BC. I can't use republic before I stop expanding and that's usually between 500-1000AD. Early republic doesn't work for me, because I would have to use 90% of my income to pay unit costs and I couldn't do any research. With monarchy my production and research is in very good shape.

Top Bottom