1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How successful is Polynesian Moai tourism?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Athenaeum, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Athenaeum

Athenaeum Prince

Seems like an obvious strategy for me...put Moais everywhere and rack up culture and tourism with hotels.

Of course you'll have to sacrifice some food and hammers for it, but still...

If you had 10 moai's adjacent to each other, that'd be 30 tourism with hotel and airport. Not to mention the sheer culture.

Has anyone done it before and if so how successful was it...

2. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Its good. ..i have done it and it increases your defenses, tourism and later culture output.

3. robaker

robaker Chieftain

I was surprised by how good they are. But I think it's better to build farms and other improvements and whatnot until you're nearing hotels, then quickly switch them over to moais. Having Liberty+Pyramids helps speed this up.

4. consentient

consentient Domination!

Actually robaker, I tried the approach where you don't care about food or hammers, and you can win surprisingly fast. The thing that makes this strategy the most situational is finding the empty space to spam the Moais. Most maps are congested.

5. Athenaeum

Athenaeum Prince

But you need to get to Hotels or Airports before Moai's affect tourism at all...so that means at least getting to the modern era. It seems to me that you would still need to give some craps about food and hammers so that you don't fall behind in science.

6. feldmarshall

feldmarshall Dictator

Play the "Paradise Found" scenario. It's a great illustration how awesome those Moais are :)

7. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Moai's are extremely situational. You need a setting with a) lots of coastal grassland, b) coast needs to be preferably a 2-hex wide isthmus to optimize bonus from adjacent Moai's, and c) you need lots of fish resources to cover your food needs. However if you find a location that meets all these three criteria, you can rake up an absolutely insane culture output very early.

8. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

To answer the OP, yes Polynesia's Moai tourism is very successful. Try a game where you don't build any guilds and I bet you still win a CV.

9. BruinBound

BruinBound Warlord

I also felt building the moai was counter-productive in the early/ mid-game. It seems to make more sense to me to still focus on food and production early on, then rip everything out for moai at hotels as robaker suggested.

10. Dushku

Dushku Prince

You shouldn't have said this! CV is my fave and now I want to try this XD

11. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan King

Optimistic view: moai are very effective for social policies and later for tourism.
    Pessimistic view: sure, but they are SO INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING!

They are similar to chateaus but twice as bad. Makes me want to cheat and get civ4's world-builder attached to civ5 somehow. And the worst part is discovering strategic resouces. You settle a city with a neat little hand-shaped peninsula where you could have 1X6C tile, 3X4C tiles and numerous 2C or 3C tiles, and then SURPRISE! Coal right in the middle.

12. Athenaeum

Athenaeum Prince

Why is it important that the grassland be coastal?

13. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf King

Moai are so, so terrible.

Sure, a bit of gold, culture and tourism, and a defensive bonus, are nice. But the opportunity cost of building and working them makes them a very poor investment in all but the most specific situations.

14. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

If you lack food or any other necessary resource then yes it could be a poor investment.

15. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Because Moai's can only be build on coast - and grassland is preferable because of the 2 food base yield, which means you can cover the demand of the citizen you put to working it?

16. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Grass coastal moais are good for defense, future tourism with hotel and airport, and you get some culture off the improvement.

17. beetle

beetle Deity

I am still struggling to find a map where the Moai really work, but I have not tried the DCL game.
    Note that you don’t need only grassland -- just for the tiles you actually work. (Which is why the lots of qualify is so important.) Moai on hills or plains that you can’t afford to work still buff the grassland Moai that you are working. So you still build the Moai just about everywhere you can.

One problem I have is figuring out when it is good (and when it is bad) to put Moai on deer or sheep or cattle or even strategic resources.

18. lemonfreshness

lemonfreshness Chieftain

I'm new to Civ V and I play on lower difficulties, but so far the Polynesians have been my favorite civ because of the Moai. Granted, they can hobble a bit in the early stages of the game, but I haven't had issues with long-term city growth and production because of them, not to mention my culture is snowballing. It's all about city placement.