1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How the heck do these unit movement types work?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Peng Qi, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

I'm trying to create a mod wherein work boats can traverse ice tiles. However, I don't want them to be able to cross oceans immediately, so I imagine I need to create a new unit movement type for them, which appears to be possible. I'm kind of a noob so I'm not even sure where to look; the Units.xml file doesn't appear to have a way to tell the game "this unit can move through ice," and it appears to be tied to the sub movement type. So I looked around and opened UnitMovementRates.xml in hopes I could do it there. Unfortunately, this file might as well be gibberish to a noob like me. I have no idea what it does at all. If I had to guess I'd say it only seems to be telling the game how the unit models move around visually and has no data regarding what tiles they can move through and how much said movement costs.

So I'm lost. Can someone point me in the right direction? Or translate the gibberish if that's the right file?

2. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

Movement through (or more accurately under) ice is done via a promotion

3. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

Thanks. :blush: