1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How the heck does the Earth 34 map work?!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by fdrpi, May 19, 2012.

1. fdrpi

fdrpi Prince

I tried downloading Rhye's Earth34 map. It provides no options, gives an error message that it can't read the file, then crashes.

To fix this, I downloaded the ddl for 40 civs. At least, I tried to. I downloaded it and moved the folder into the Beyond the Sword Mods folder. However, the 34 map will still not load.

Can anyone help me with getting that map to work?

2. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: Moved to C&C.

Please show us a screenshot of the 40 civs mod main folder.

Another question, how did you load it? You'll first have to load the mod, then the map. Loading the map alone will not work (unless you customized it in this way).

And the links to the respective downloads would be useful for debuging the problem.

3. fdrpi

fdrpi Prince

I have successfully downloaded the mod and the map. I just have no idea where to put the map folder, or what to do with it.

I downloaded both off this site.

And I am so so sorry for taking this long. My sincerest apologies.

4. allypower

allypower Warlord

I think Rhye's map come with a mod, so it might include a bunch of other stuffs that doesn't exist in the vanilla game, which might be the cause of the crash. I think you might need to load the mod before the map.

5. fdrpi

fdrpi Prince

Tried that, wasn't there.

6. The_J

Links would still be good ;).

In general: Unzip the mod. You should get a folder with some name, and in there should be a folder called "Assets" (and some other stuff).
    Move that folder (not the Assets folder, the folder above) to C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civ4\BtS\Mods
    Create in that moved folder another folder called "PublicMaps" and move your map into it.
    Fire up BtS, then load the mod, and afterwards try to play with the map.

7. fdrpi

fdrpi Prince

Ok, I got it to work, but there is still a problem. None of the maps actually have more than 18 civs! :wallbash:

I had hoped for something like the Earth18 scenario, except bigger.

So, does anyone know a map that actually has more than 18 civs? Or, does anyone know how to access the map script used for the Earth Map, so I might make my own?

Or is something just going wrong? I mean, it doesn't make much sense that I can't use more than 18 civs. The civ selection menu stops alphabetically at Japan, and only those first 18 civs appear on the map. No Rome, Native America, etc.

What is going on? :confused::confused::confused:

Edit: I noticed that when I loaded the map, it wasn't in the 40Civs mod. But, when I loaded the mod, I couldn't find where the map save was. It isn't under scenarios, nor the map types in "Custom Game".

8. The_J

Sure you put the map inside the mod folder, and not accidentially in BtS' normal maps folder?

Else you might want to check the 50 civs mod. Comes with additional civs and a bunch of maps which can be played with 50 civs.

9. fdrpi

fdrpi Prince

The map wasn't directly in the PublicMaps folder, so that's what was going on.

Thank you very much The_J.