How to add techs without the game crashing on you

Kal-el

Deity
!!!THIS THREAD IS NO LONGER RELEVANT!!!

ok, basically the way it works is that there are 82 techs and there are 83 tech icons 9including future tech). The icons are in alphabetical order beginning with advanced flight and ending with writing.

Advanced flight
Alphabet
Amphibious warfare
Astronomy
Atomic Theory
Banking
Bronze Workings
Ceremonial Burial
Chemistry
Chivalry
Code of Laws
Combustion
Communism
Computers
Construction
Currency
Democracy
Ecology (new)
Economics
Education (new)
Electricity
Electronics
Engineering
Espionage
Feudalism
Fission
Flight
Free Artistry (new)
Future Tech
Genetics
Gunpowder
Horseback Riding
Industrialization
Integrated Defense (new)
Invention
Iron Working
Literature (new)
Magnetism
Map Making
Masonry
Mass production
Mathematics
Medicine
Metallurgy
Military Tradition (new)
Miniaturization
Monarchy
Monotheism
Motorized Transport (new)
Music Theory (new)
Mysticism
Nationalism (new)
Navigation
Nuclear Power
Philosophy
Physics
Polytheism
Pottery
Printing Press (new)
Radio
Recycling
Refining
Replaceable Parts (new)
Robotics
Rocketry
Sanitation
Satellites (new)
Scientific Method (new)
Smart Weapons (new)
Space Flight
Stealth
Steam Power
Steel
Superconductor
Synthetic Fibers (new)
The Corporation
The Laser
The Republic
The Wheel
Theology
Theory of Gravity
Warrior Code
Writing

for each tech you add to the game you lose the ability to use 1 tech icon, starting from the last one, which is writing and working backwards.

So if you add one, then it can use any of the icons except for writing, icon 83, and writing has to be switched over to something else. If you add a second tech you can nolonger use the warrior code icon, icon 82, and so on and so forth.

it is feasable that you could add 82 techs and have them all share the one remaining icon.

note: if you do not switch from the writing icon, the icon will still show up in the tech tree, however you will not be able to research that tech without the game crashing.

it is possible to "add" your own icons, but this comes at the expense of an game icon. To do this you must name your new icon the same thing as one of the orginal icons. this then replaces the original icon with your new icon. For example, in my mod I added 48 new techs, that means that I only have 35 tech icons available to use, advanced flight through invention. If I add another tech, which I am planning to do, I will only be able to use the first 34 icons, which means i can no longer use the invention icon. rather than try and use 34 icons for 130 techs what i did was use 1 icon for each era and 1 icon for each tech that allows a new form of government. that means that of the 83 icons available from teh start, i am using 12 (i added some governments too).

In order to be able to use the icons that I wanted I had to switch some of the images around. the icon for social democracy (a new govt) is now named 02-AmphibiousWarfare-large.pcx and 02-AmphibiousWarfare-small.pcx, but the actual image is completely different. the ancient era uses an icon that looks like a fire, this fire icon is called 01-alphabet-large.pcx and 01-alphabet-small.pcx

!!!Do not change the names of the Icons!!!

if you do the game will not load.

the folder containing the tech icons is civIII\art\tech chooser\icons

I hope this is helpful. please feel free to ask for clarification on any point.

here is the ancient era with 12 new techs added in.

Attachments

• science advisor - kal-els ancient.gif
    science advisor - kal-els ancient.gif
    430.4 KB · Views: 4,246
I am afraid to tell you that the civilopedia icons are still hard coded, and that Kal-el's tutorial above must still be followed for crashless games in 1.21f :(

Maybe the next patch . . . but probably not.

Ka-el do you know if it is possible to add an era?

How to add a fourth tech tree part?

With the 1.21 civeditor we lose the ability to add an era. So i want to know before loosing my old tools of civeditor 1.16 (where i can add an era and convert it later into 1.21 bic file but revert is not possible).
I think it is not possible but maybe...

its not possible. its actually not really possible with v1.16 or 1.17 either. You may be able to add it in the bic but the game will not recognize it. this is from the mouth of Firaxis, apparently it is hardcoded into the game.

sorry. :( I would love to add a future era.

Originally posted by Kal-el
its not possible. its actually not really possible with v1.16 or 1.17 either. You may be able to add it in the bic but the game will not recognize it. this is from the mouth of Firaxis, apparently it is hardcoded into the game.

sorry. :( I would love to add a future era.

Well me too and i have tried. I know how to convert a civmod.bic file from 1.16 or 1.17 into 1.21 format. So I have got a future era with my civmod.bic file. But the tech tree for future doesn't want to appear (i know now why). But do u think it is possible to add this era without the tree display and make it work?
I have to try. I know.
But I think it is a possibility. I will try. Cause when I have made some quick essay civilopedia display was good. There was all link between advances...I speak with pediaicon.txt modification for era splashes. Cause there's a splash and there was more prob with splashes before ;).

If it work I will make a post.... :cringe:
Grrrrr I don't want using NONE era. What's this name? I know but I don't want add more advances with this.

Well thx to your precisions. Maybe... hope...

Thanx for the tutorial :)

One or two problems though. I too have added farming as a tech (using the same icon as for pottery - and changed the icon for writing to the same as for litterature; to avoid "game crashing"). Now, all the large icons in the Civilopedia have shifted one "icon", so that, e.g. the Masonry-page displays the large icon for Mathematics and so on. Does anyone know a way to correct for this?

Also, I have made farming a prerequisite for wheat to appear on the map - how do U get the wheat-icon to show up next to the the Farming icon on the tech tree??

Grateful for any help as I am making mod I'm hoping to post at this site soon :D

when I added techs, my icons moved too. I just renamed all the large tech pcx's to the name of the one 8 before them (i added 8 techs). So now my civilopedia is correct, my my mod has an additional 70+ files.

GIDustin

I just renamed all the large tech pcx's to the name of the one 8 before them (i added 8 techs). So now my civilopedia is correct, my my mod has an additional 70+ files

The hard way, ay? - well if that's the only way.......:(

Thank you for the advice :goodjob:

Cheers

Has anyone got a solution to this one:

Also, I have made farming a prerequisite for wheat to appear on the map - how do U get the wheat-icon to show up next to the the Farming icon on the tech tree??

....And I have added an entry for the Civ.pedia :(

Insomniac

Kal-el,

Thanks for this info. I only wish I had known about this a month ago. I ended up re-installing Civ3. Oh well, live and learn...

you can't get the icons for the natural resources to show up in the tech tree. take a look through it and you'll notice that none of the resources are shown. I agree it would be nice, but that is not one of the functions of the science advisor apparently.

regarding the buildings and wonders: you need to create images for each building or use an image from another improvement but either way you then must create an entry in the pediaicons.txt file. I am not at home right now so I can't give you a step-by-step but try reading the tutorial by Plutarck . I think he talks about the pediaicons.txt file in there.

if you still have questions feel free to ask and I will try and help.

Firaxis has removed the tech icon limitations in PTW. Now you can add your custom tech icons without the game crashing on you. :goodjob:

Top Bottom