1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

How to add techs without the game crashing on you

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Tutorials, Reference, & Guides' started by Kal-el, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Kal-el

Kal-el Chieftain

!!!THIS THREAD IS NO LONGER RELEVANT!!!

ok, basically the way it works is that there are 82 techs and there are 83 tech icons 9including future tech). The icons are in alphabetical order beginning with advanced flight and ending with writing.

Advanced flight
    Alphabet
    Amphibious warfare
    Astronomy
    Atomic Theory
    Banking
    Bronze Workings
    Ceremonial Burial
    Chemistry
    Chivalry
    Code of Laws
    Combustion
    Communism
    Computers
    Construction
    Currency
    Democracy
    Ecology (new)
    Economics
    Education (new)
    Electricity
    Electronics
    Engineering
    Espionage
    Feudalism
    Fission
    Flight
    Free Artistry (new)
    Future Tech
    Genetics
    Gunpowder
    Horseback Riding
    Industrialization
    Integrated Defense (new)
    Invention
    Iron Working
    Literature (new)
    Magnetism
    Map Making
    Masonry
    Mass production
    Mathematics
    Medicine
    Metallurgy
    Military Tradition (new)
    Miniaturization
    Monarchy
    Monotheism
    Motorized Transport (new)
    Music Theory (new)
    Mysticism
    Nationalism (new)
    Navigation
    Nuclear Power
    Philosophy
    Physics
    Polytheism
    Pottery
    Printing Press (new)
    Radio
    Recycling
    Refining
    Replaceable Parts (new)
    Robotics
    Rocketry
    Sanitation
    Satellites (new)
    Scientific Method (new)
    Smart Weapons (new)
    Space Flight
    Stealth
    Steam Power
    Steel
    Superconductor
    Synthetic Fibers (new)
    The Corporation
    The Laser
    The Republic
    The Wheel
    Theology
    Theory of Gravity
    Warrior Code
    Writing

for each tech you add to the game you lose the ability to use 1 tech icon, starting from the last one, which is writing and working backwards.

So if you add one, then it can use any of the icons except for writing, icon 83, and writing has to be switched over to something else. If you add a second tech you can nolonger use the warrior code icon, icon 82, and so on and so forth.

it is feasable that you could add 82 techs and have them all share the one remaining icon.

note: if you do not switch from the writing icon, the icon will still show up in the tech tree, however you will not be able to research that tech without the game crashing.

it is possible to "add" your own icons, but this comes at the expense of an game icon. To do this you must name your new icon the same thing as one of the orginal icons. this then replaces the original icon with your new icon. For example, in my mod I added 48 new techs, that means that I only have 35 tech icons available to use, advanced flight through invention. If I add another tech, which I am planning to do, I will only be able to use the first 34 icons, which means i can no longer use the invention icon. rather than try and use 34 icons for 130 techs what i did was use 1 icon for each era and 1 icon for each tech that allows a new form of government. that means that of the 83 icons available from teh start, i am using 12 (i added some governments too).

In order to be able to use the icons that I wanted I had to switch some of the images around. the icon for social democracy (a new govt) is now named 02-AmphibiousWarfare-large.pcx and 02-AmphibiousWarfare-small.pcx, but the actual image is completely different. the ancient era uses an icon that looks like a fire, this fire icon is called 01-alphabet-large.pcx and 01-alphabet-small.pcx

!!!Do not change the names of the Icons!!!

if you do the game will not load.

the folder containing the tech icons is civIII\art\tech chooser\icons

I hope this is helpful. please feel free to ask for clarification on any point.

2. Kal-el

Kal-el Chieftain

here is the ancient era with 12 new techs added in.

Attached Files:

3. drewgood

drewgood Chieftain

Is this still relevant with the changes in 1.21?

4. Kal-el

Kal-el Chieftain

I have no idea, test it and let me know.

5. GIDustin

GIDustin Chieftain

I am afraid to tell you that the civilopedia icons are still hard coded, and that Kal-el's tutorial above must still be followed for crashless games in 1.21f :(

Maybe the next patch . . . but probably not.

6. Ralendil

Ralendil Augustus

Ka-el do you know if it is possible to add an era?

How to add a fourth tech tree part?

With the 1.21 civeditor we lose the ability to add an era. So i want to know before loosing my old tools of civeditor 1.16 (where i can add an era and convert it later into 1.21 bic file but revert is not possible).
    I think it is not possible but maybe...

7. Kal-el

Kal-el Chieftain

its not possible. its actually not really possible with v1.16 or 1.17 either. You may be able to add it in the bic but the game will not recognize it. this is from the mouth of Firaxis, apparently it is hardcoded into the game.

sorry. :( I would love to add a future era.

8. Ralendil

Ralendil Augustus

Well me too and i have tried. I know how to convert a civmod.bic file from 1.16 or 1.17 into 1.21 format. So I have got a future era with my civmod.bic file. But the tech tree for future doesn't want to appear (i know now why). But do u think it is possible to add this era without the tree display and make it work?
    I have to try. I know.
    But I think it is a possibility. I will try. Cause when I have made some quick essay civilopedia display was good. There was all link between advances...I speak with pediaicon.txt modification for era splashes. Cause there's a splash and there was more prob with splashes before ;).

If it work I will make a post.... :cringe:
    Grrrrr I don't want using NONE era. What's this name? I know but I don't want add more advances with this.

Well thx to your precisions. Maybe... hope...

9. Insomniac

Insomniac Chieftain

Thanx for the tutorial :)

One or two problems though. I too have added farming as a tech (using the same icon as for pottery - and changed the icon for writing to the same as for litterature; to avoid "game crashing"). Now, all the large icons in the Civilopedia have shifted one "icon", so that, e.g. the Masonry-page displays the large icon for Mathematics and so on. Does anyone know a way to correct for this?

Also, I have made farming a prerequisite for wheat to appear on the map - how do U get the wheat-icon to show up next to the the Farming icon on the tech tree??

Grateful for any help as I am making mod I'm hoping to post at this site soon :D

10. GIDustin

GIDustin Chieftain

when I added techs, my icons moved too. I just renamed all the large tech pcx's to the name of the one 8 before them (i added 8 techs). So now my civilopedia is correct, my my mod has an additional 70+ files.

GIDustin

11. Insomniac

Insomniac Chieftain

The hard way, ay? - well if that's the only way.......:(

Thank you for the advice :goodjob:

Cheers

12. Insomniac

Insomniac Chieftain

Has anyone got a solution to this one:

....And I have added an entry for the Civ.pedia :(

Insomniac

13. thamis

thamis King of Kish

What if I totally redid the tech tree (but have less advances than before)? Does that cause any complications?

14. Kingpin

Kingpin Captain-General

Kal-el,

Thanks for this info. I only wish I had known about this a month ago. I ended up re-installing Civ3. Oh well, live and learn...

15. Kal-el

Kal-el Chieftain

Insomniac,

the resources do not show up in the tech tree. They never did.

Thamis,

this shouldn't cause a problem.

Everybody,

you're welcome. glad to be of service.

16. Kal-el

Kal-el Chieftain

you can't get the icons for the natural resources to show up in the tech tree. take a look through it and you'll notice that none of the resources are shown. I agree it would be nice, but that is not one of the functions of the science advisor apparently.

regarding the buildings and wonders: you need to create images for each building or use an image from another improvement but either way you then must create an entry in the pediaicons.txt file. I am not at home right now so I can't give you a step-by-step but try reading the tutorial by Plutarck . I think he talks about the pediaicons.txt file in there.

if you still have questions feel free to ask and I will try and help.

17. Insomniac

Insomniac Chieftain

Thnx Kal-el - great stuff!

18. Senoj

Senoj Chieftain

Sounds really good, i'll try it out tommorow! Thanx!;)

19. Barret

Barret Chieftain

Firaxis has removed the tech icon limitations in PTW. Now you can add your custom tech icons without the game crashing on you. :goodjob:

20. Kal-el

Kal-el Chieftain

Yep! This is an old thread from way back before patch 1.29f. It is no longer relevant. I guess I should edit the first post to say that. :)