How to Adopt a Religion?

Lansky

King
Recently downloaded this mod to get a change of pace out of civ, but I'm having an interesting problem. When I attempt to convert to any religion I simply get the "cannot convert to XYZ" in the religion screen. Just to make sure I was not overlooking something silly I started a couple settler level games with a non agnostic leaders and just went on a religion founding spree. Still can't adopt any of them.

I feel like I am missing something really really basic, but nothing I can think of. None of the civics seem to be a "free religion" variant, nor do my leaders/civ appear to clash with adopting a religion. I'm fairly well versed in standard BTS at this point, but this is really baffling me and the forum search feature seems to be of little help.

What civ and leader are you using?

In FfH, the (poorly named) Agnostic trait leaders/civs cannot adopt a religion. This trait is possessed by the Grigori and the Illian leaders.

Cassiel is the former archangel of the god Dagda, who was the first to call for the gods to meet to negotiate a peace treaty to end the godswar but who could not bring himself to agree with the Compact as they negotiated it. He wanted the war to end so that Mankind would be safe, but this agreement merely relegated humanity to being pawns in a war that could continue being waged indirectly. Instead of protecting man, it made them destroy each other over petty religious differences. Cassiel founded the Grigori to be a libertarian, humanistic state to serve as a refuge for those suffering persecution from the overzealous. It is founded on the principle of separation of church ans state, and although individuals are free to practice any religion they choose (so long as they don't hurt or threaten those who won't join them) most of its citizens strongly dislike the concept of religion in general.

The Illians are the descendants of those who worshiped the God of Ice, who broke the compact and reigned as a despot on Erebus in the Age of Ice, until Kylorin used the Godslayer to kill him. Their god is dead, but his precept called out to a young man named Auric Ulvin, who is wel on his way to becoming a new god of ice. The Illians now worship this mortal, whop acts as a jealous god and will not allow his subjects to worship anyone else.

Technically, the inability to adopt a religion depends not on the trait, but on the religion weightings. This modifier in FfH makes a AI leader x% more or less likely to adopt a religion by multiplying the percentage of its citizens following that faith by the weighting before the calculation runs to decide what religion it should adopt. If a leader has a -100 weighting, the game reads this as if the religion is never present in its cities (even if it is actually in every city) and won't even allow a human to adopt the religion.

Agnostic leaders all have a -100 weighting towards every religion. All the Infernal Leaders have a -100 weighting towards every religion except for the Ashen Veil.

I suppose a bit more detail would have been more helpful. Not at my own computer currently so I cannot post any pictures or saves displaying the issue at this time, unfortunately.

Anywho one recent game was with the Sheaim civilization using Os-Gabella at Prince difficulty. I steam rolled the AI with various summoned creatures with relative ease and by the end had every possible religion, including founding the Ashen Veil relatively early on in the game. I was unable to adopt any of these religions. I would open the religious adviser tab and attempt to swap to a different religion and in the bottom left corner I would get a message reading "cannot convert to Ashen Veil" or any other religion I tried. After that I played a very short set with a Bannor(sp?) leader and founded The Order only to attempt to convert and get the same message.

Essentially I'd like to give emperor+ a go but the inability to use religion for both the unique features and diplomacy manipulation leaves me very hesitant seeing as how so far I have simply been brute forcing wins from lower level AI's that do not produce enough garrison units.

Very strange :S They should be able too..... but more detail would help.

ps. you should post this in the bug thread aswell....

patch .24a fix adopt a religion problem, maybe you should check it first

I feel like I am missing something really really basic

I think that would be the patch 24 A. It fixes exactly the behaviour you have described (and some other nasty things). You can always check the version you are running in flag mouseover.

I think that would be the patch 24 A. It fixes exactly the behaviour you have described (and some other nasty things). You can always check the version you are running in flag mouseover.

I'm having this issue even patched up to b. I also have the recently updated LE mod installed, not sure if that's somehow causing issues. However, it doesn't happen all the time. In both of the games I played normally, I've tried to rush FoL as Ljol, I was able to found it but not adopt it. One game I played with Advanced Start, I was able to research it and then adopt.

I'm not sure if it has any difference, but it seemed that both times I couldn't adopt, the Cult of the Dragon had caused a few events for my cities.

Huh, really strange. Another member (Khazad) posted in LE's thread to report an issue that (s)he couldn't found or adopt a religion. Maybe I broke something... :lol:

I have a game going right now as the Amurites led by Tya Kiri and was able to found The Council of Esus but like the others cannot adopt it as a state religion. Interestingly enough it spread quickly and I did get a nightwatch. I already got philosophical and ingenuity to replace minor. I have been wondering if this is a problem specific to minor leaders? I have not had any Cult of the Dragon events in my cities. A fix for this would be sooo appreciated. I got an adventurer from a dungeon and really don't want to give the game up.

What Orbis' patch are you using?
Also, are you using LeadersEnhanced?

And also, what patch did you start the game with - even though you can load 0.24 in 0.24a or even 0.24b, it is still broken. There is nothing that can be done for games started in unpatched 0.24

I'm running 0.24b, I updated directly to b. I'm experiencing a similar issue. Saved game file attached.
Just checked - you have updated from 0.24 directly, but it does not matter. You are running a save started in 0.24 under 0.24b. Exactly the situation I described in previous post.
If I say the saves from 0.24 are broken, they are broken. Trust me. Didn't units around the map seem strange to you? Centeni for kuriotates? Water walking great engineer? Dwarven slingers without dwarven promotion in your own cities? Just a few examples that can be seen at glance in your save.

If you people want to play such saves, fine, but any problems are yours to solve.

Next time I will do something to block loading such saves, as warnings do not have any effect it seems. :rolleyes:
I guess all other religion problems in 0.24b are caused by that.

Ahwaric, thanks for taking the time to look it over. In the process of updating 3.19 > FFH 0.41 > d > Orbis 0.24 > ? I think I had mistakenly updated 0.23b in stead of 0.24b.

Lesson learned. Thanks again.

The problem is not how you updated (it should be 319 -> ffh 41 -> 41d -> orbis 24 -> 24b by the way).
You have updated to 0.24b fine I think. But you are running and old save, started with 0.24.
0.23 saves would not even load, installing 0.24d over 0.23 will casue a lot of art problems.
If you install 0.23b patch when BtS is already updated to 3.19, the mod won't start.
0.24 saves will load in 0.24b and I think that is what you have done. But the saves are still broken - no effect on religion adopting, plus units get replaced.

No problem in checking saves, just follow the instructions next time - for your own good :)

Top Bottom