How to block AI from getting diplomatic victory

PatrickSWarner

Chieftain
New player here - I am in the later stages of the game on settler mode going for a science victory.

One of the AI is threatening diplomatic victory with 14 points on about turn 350 or so. I have not focussed on diplomacy at all in the game.

Is there a way to interfere with them and block them from getting more points (other than invading them - I reckon I have the military resources to take a good few cities of them but I prefer not if possible)?

When they get to 16 DVPs, a resolution will appear in the World Congress votes that will allow you to vote to give or take away 2 points from people. Vote to take them away from the leader, and you win the resolution (the AI always dogpiles the leader) and they'll lose 2 DVPs. It's basically impossible to win a Diplo Victory without gaming the system by voting for yourself to lose points, which the AI neber does.

You mean vote with all my points for the leading AI Civ to lose 2? I think I already did that once when they had 12 points and they still won the vote - maybe I didn't use enough of my diplomatic power.

Also not sure what you mean by gaming the system? How could I win for voting for myself to lose?

You mean vote with all my points for the leading AI Civ to lose 2? I think I already did that once when they had 12 points and they still won the vote - maybe I didn't use enough of my diplomatic power.

Also not sure what you mean by gaming the system? How could I win for voting for myself to lose?
The AI generally targest the lead, you can exploit that by exploiting how you get points in the first place

For each sucessful vote you take part in (that is, slecting the correct target and outcome) you get a point

By casting a single vote against yourself to lose yourself points, you actually offset the loss (especially if you successfully vote in favor in the other 2 proposals for the round)

You vote against yourself to lose -2 votes.

Every AI votes the same way, so you now only lose -1 (because you gained one from voting correctly)

Now, you if you vote correctly for the other two votes, you gain 1 point.

You will *never* be able to pass the gain votes proposal if you are close to winning.

You don't have to vote with all your Diplomatic Favour, when they start getting close to 20 (16 I think) the other AI will dogpile him to stop him from winning. Just put a few points in to make it impossible for him to win.
So, you get a DVP for winning a resolution. You normally get two resolutions per congress, so you can get 2 DVPs per congress. However, later on you get a third resolution - to add or subtract 2 DVPs. If you play normally and vote for yourself to gain them, you get into trouble towards the end because the AIs will dogpile you and vote for you to lose 2 DVPs. Unless you're a real Diplo fiend, you'll not be able to defeat them and lose 2 DVPs. Even if you won the other two resolutions, they'll be cancelled out by this, and you'll be stuck, unable to gain more DVPs.

You can game the system though. If you vote for yourself, you'll lose 2 DVPs, but since you technically won the resolution, you'll get 1 DVP for that. So you'll win 3 resolutions, gaining you 3 DVPs, lose two DVPs due to the resolution, giving you a net 1 DVP for the Congress.

The AI generally targest the lead, you can exploit that by exploiting how you get points in the first place

For each sucessful vote you take part in (that is, slecting the correct target and outcome) you get a point

By casting a single vote against yourself to lose yourself points, you actually offset the loss (especially if you successfully vote in favor in the other 2 proposals for the round)

You vote against yourself to lose -2 votes.

Every AI votes the same way, so you now only lose -1 (because you gained one from voting correctly)

Now, you if you vote correctly for the other two votes, you gain 1 point.

You will *never* be able to pass the gain votes proposal if you are close to winning.

OK - a bit strange but understood. Anyway if I understand you the bottom line is that I don’t need to worry about the AI winning a diplomatic victory coz they won’t.

OK - a bit strange but understood. Anyway if I understand you the bottom line is that I don’t need to worry about the AI winning a diplomatic victory coz they won’t.
They can win passively.

Congress is only 1 of the many ways they can get points

Winning certain Noble Prize's competition (with Sweden in), winning Scored Competitions from Emergency Aid, gets you points, as is building few wonders.

Aid competitions are another thing to worry about. Those give two diplo points to the winner, if I remember correctly, so you want to be competitive in those as well in order to stop the AI from getting the top spot.

I dunno if it changes with the difficulty level you play at, but for me they start ganging up on me as soon as I hit 14 !

I am playing on easy settler level and the above is not what I am seeing at all.

I got to the dimplomatic session and Tamar of Georgia was on 14 points.

At the session, one of the votes as described above was for someone to gain or lose 2 DVP. I voted for Tamar to lose 2 DVP.

I lost all the votes and Tamar won all of them - Tamar is now on 19 points just one point from diplomatic victory.

Also all or most of the AI voted in favour of Tamar getting the diplomatic points.

This doesn't seem consistent with the above descriptions?

I am playing on easy settler level and the above is not what I am seeing at all.

I got to the dimplomatic session and Tamar of Georgia was on 14 points.

At the session, one of the votes as described above was for someone to gain or lose 2 DVP. I voted for Tamar to lose 2 DVP.

I lost all the votes and Tamar won all of them - Tamar is now on 19 points just one point from diplomatic victory.

Also all or most of the AI voted in favour of Tamar getting the diplomatic points.

This doesn't seem consistent with the above descriptions?
On Settler, the threshold is 16, I believe. So yeah, it's pretty normal. Youll find that at the next one (if there is one), they'll all dogpile Tamar to take 2 DVPs from her. That's why I was reticent to say that you can just rest easy, sometimes flukes like this happen. She won't be able to win be able to win via the WC, and it should be easy to stop her winning emergencies. Your major threat now is that she'll build a Wonder that gives DVPs. The next WC, you need to do your best to ensure that she loses both of the resolutions, then she'll lose 2 DVPs and be down to 17. Do that for the second one too and she'll be out of the danger zone - although that'll put out at turn 400+, so maybe you should just race for the SV, you'll probably win before the second WC anyway, and possibly the first.

On Settler, the threshold is 16, I believe. So yeah, it's pretty normal. Youll find that at the next one (if there is one), they'll all dogpile Tamar to take 2 DVPs from her. That's why I was reticent to say that you can just rest easy, sometimes flukes like this happen. She won't be able to win be able to win via the WC, and it should be easy to stop her winning emergencies. Your major threat now is that she'll build a Wonder that gives DVPs. The next WC, you need to do your best to ensure that she loses both of the resolutions, then she'll lose 2 DVPs and be down to 17. Do that for the second one too and she'll be out of the danger zone - although that'll put out at turn 400+, so maybe you should just race for the SV, you'll probably win before the second WC anyway, and possibly the first.

Well at the moment I am building the moon landing project - trying to find ways to boost production e.g. I have just moved Magnus with all promotions to the city where I am building it as there are several industrical zones in nearby cities - hopefully this makes sense?

When they get to 16 DVPs, a resolution will appear in the World Congress votes that will allow you to vote to give or take away 2 points from people.
Just to clear this up, the resolution to add or take away DV points to players appears when the world enters Modern era, not when someone gets to 16 DVPs.

And ganging up on the DV leader can start already at 14/20 points, though it is less likely. At 16 it is pretty much guaranteed that you won't be able to outvote everyone else, so just put one single and free vote against yourself.

How to stop AI from winning DV? Winning earlier usually works :) If you let the game go on well past t300, AI is likely to stumble upon some kind of victory, including DV, although the most frequent type for the AI is SV.
Just paying a little more attention during WC votes can bring you enough DV points to reach 16/20 and then you make the finishing slam dunk with the SoL which Shah Jahan kindly completes in a single turn. On standard settings SoL is usually ignored by the AI and is left there for the player to pick it up, unless you put more AIs on the map and it is water heavy.

During voting sessions you can leave the voting screen and go to the map to check things out, which is handy. All your votes already made will stay when you come back. And you may want to check things out when a resolution such as World Ideology comes up to decide what government gets an extra policy card. So you just go and check what government form is adopted by the majority of the AIs and then come back to see if they have plenty of DF to back it up and then put the single free vote for that form of government.
Some resolutions are guaranteed wins, like Border Control Treaty, where you will always win by putting just 2 votes for yourself to have culture bombs on your districts.

Then there is the question of having enough DF to make influence. You can try and buy up DF from the AI (although most players will do the opposite), but they will sell no more than 20 DF per turn, so this is pretty tedious. And selling will stop entirely when you approach the fateful 14-16/20 limit.

Being in Monarchy and having Renaissance walls everywhere is much easier, those bring you +2 DF per turn, usually that's quite enough, so if the resolution of Urban Development Treaty comes up, city centre option is quite likely to win, and when paired with Limes you can have those walls up in very short time.

So paying a bit more attention during the votes and winning WC competitions, and also winning Aid Emergencies, if any come up, can lead you to 16/20 with a rather low effort and give you the DV somewhere in the range of t240-290, which is very safe win margin.

But in this particular case when you let AI to have 19 points might be a bit tricky. Make sure she does not win any WC competition and there's no DV bringing Wonders left for her to build (Mahabodi, Potala, SoL). But then, there are still a couple of DV points in the tech/civics trees which you can do nothing about. If she reaches them, well, too bad.

In the end I won the game as the AI did pile on in the next congress. Also I headed off the SOL by building it myself and I think the other 2 were already built by other AI (at least it didn’t seem any issue). However they ended on 18 points I think.

Edit - ^^ how to I leave the voting screen during congress? Do I just close the screen and then there is a place to come back to it before ending the turn?

Edit - ^^ how to I leave the voting screen during congress? Do I just close the screen
Yes, exactly. The turn does not progress, you're in sort of in-between-turns situation, where you cannot issue any orders whatsoever on the map, but you can check different information screens, and then you just come back to WC session by pressing the action button (the same as 'Next turn').

Top Bottom