How to buy free techs whit war

Nostradam

Chieftain
So I found this little 'loop' in the game wich I thought was worth charing. I noticed that when you declare war on a player it automaticaly ends all agreements between the players. So I do the following:

Let's say I'm about to invade a neighbour. Before I go and declare war on them I go to the diplomacy window and request a Research Agreement with them. If they don't have the cash for it and I have enough I will give him the cash for free so that he can make the agreement with me (never had a AI who would refuse a research agreement...). After they sign it wait 1 turn and go declare your war.... All the agreements ends including the research agreement you just singed last turn.....

350g and 1 turn for a free tech sounds quite good to me :)

That's been brought up several times in the last few days. Certainly a nice trick, but you may want to check to see if somethings already been posted (especially when said threads are still on the first page).

That's been brought up several times in the last few days. Certainly a nice trick, but you may want to check to see if somethings already been posted (especially when said threads are still on the first page).

I looked up the list of thread titles and I cant find what you're talking about.

I'm sorry if I'm been a n00b about this, but the guy just wanted to share his knowledge.

So I found this little 'loop' in the game wich I thought was worth charing. I noticed that when you declare war on a player it automaticaly ends all agreements between the players. So I do the following:

Let's say I'm about to invade a neighbour. Before I go and declare war on them I go to the diplomacy window and request a Research Agreement with them. If they don't have the cash for it and I have enough I will give him the cash for free so that he can make the agreement with me (never had a AI who would refuse a research agreement...). After they sign it wait 1 turn and go declare your war.... All the agreements ends including the research agreement you just singed last turn.....

350g and 1 turn for a free tech sounds quite good to me :)

You know, I never took that chance. Infact, I'd do the exact 1st half of what you've said here, but I do it with the primary intention of preventing a threat from declaring a war on me. So far it has helped, but I dont know if it is an air-tight plan.

Do you really think that going to war over a tech is a good idea?

I looked up the list of thread titles and I cant find what you're talking about.

I'm sorry if I'm been a n00b about this, but the guy just wanted to share his knowledge.

I agree that it's hard to look them up sometimes especially since the forum search isn't particularly robust. But the research treaties topic is still very active and on the front page.

I'm not getting my undies in a bundle or anything, but it does help keep the forums leaner.

Do you really think that going to war over a tech is a good idea?

The idea is that you're going to declare war anyway. You may as well get a free tech out of it.

And why stop at just a free tech? Sell him a ton of resources for lump sum gold too. You'll get your resources back at DoW but keep the gold.

And see if you can take out a loan too. However much in lump sum you can get from the GPT you're producing that turn

Maybe THIS is why there's the "can't declare war" bug in the game. ;)

First of all I did search the forum for 'research agreement' all I came up where some threads about civ 4 and some on civ 5 but nothing directly on this, sorry if I missed it. God you'd almost stop posting here because you're afraid you might just have missed something related to what you'll ask.....

Anyway the loan and resources are a god tip! Didn't even think about it! Downside I suppose is that the enemy also gets afree tech, but since you are gonna squash him under you're army anyways.... Sometimes I stop just before the last city, wait 10 turns and do it all over again :)

Will this make me burn in hell? :p

It's not a tip really, it's just exploiting the AI. Both the money loan and the research agreement things. I even feel dirty selling all luxury resources to the AI... I mean who would always buy luxury for 10gpt in the early game, when you definitely don't need it.

I was playing around in deity last night and Ghandi pulled this (research agreement -> war) on me. I was a bit surprised to see any AI doing this, let alone Mr. passive resistance.

For the GPT and resources thing though, I had an AI tell me once "I will tell the world about your willingness to break deals" or something like that, and suddenly no one payed anything decent for my resources or GPT.

Shouldn't the free tech be cancelled? That's how it should work anyway.

I could have sworn that you lose the tech you would have gotten if you dow.

No you get the tech. But like another said, I believe the AI will not want to make deals with you anymore. I know that if you have an open borders, and they confront you about your units and you say they are just passing through, but then you declare war, they will say you broke your word.

There is a nasty bug here too. If you research a tech on the same turn that a research agreement pops due to a war you can end up with the same tech twice.

This only happens if the AI that you have the research agreement declares war on you during their turn.

That has not been my experience. Just today I had a research agreement pop after 30 turns that gave me the same tech I had just researched that turn. The lack of overflow and general nature of research agreements are just deplorable from a polish standpoint. I traditionally play science based CiV/SMAC strats and CiV is so freaking unfriendly to that unless you play Babylon. Given the product, I am terribly glad I did not pay $10 to have that choice.

Top Bottom