1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to change the name of a city state?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Creation & Customization' started by cometheart, Sep 19, 2017.

1. cometheart

cometheart Chieftain

I like the YnAMP mod but I don't want the city state of hong kong, so I change the position of hong kong, I moved it to the postion of Lhasa, but when I trying to edit the name here comes a problem:

I open Assets -> Text-> en-US and found the CityNames_Text.xml file, I edit the line into this

<Row Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_HONG_KONG_1">
    <Text>Lhasa</Text>
    </Row>
    <Row Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_HONG_KONG">
    <Text>Lhasa</Text>
    </Row>

But when I re-enter the game, the city name of Hong kong is still there. what is going wrong?

2. Winged Hussar

Winged Hussar Warlord

Yeah, I'd love to know as well.

...easiest civ game to mod my a$$! :/

3. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

There's no particular mystery. The Ynaemp mod for civ 6 is re-directing the text-key:
    Code:
    	<LocalizedText>		<!-- CHINA -->

<Replace Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_HAINAN" Text="Hainan" Language="en_US" />
    		<Replace Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_PRATAS_ISLAND" Text="Pratas Island" Language="en_US" />
    		<Replace Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_ZHANJIANG" Text="Zhanjiang" Language="en_US" />
    		<Replace Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_YANGJIANG" Text="Yangjiang" Language="en_US" />
    		<Replace Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_MACAU" Text="Macau" Language="en_US" />
    		<Replace Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_HONG_KONG" Text="Hong Kong" Language="en_US" />

"LOC_CITY_NAME_HONG_KONG_1" does not appear to actually be referenced anywhere within the game's xml files, and only appears in the game's CityNames xml file.

----------------------------------

This is another reason why directly editing the game's original files often does not "seem" to have any result. The base game files are loaded 1st, and then mods that change anything within the base game's data make their changes 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc, so that any direct editing of the original game files may or may not get alterred or re-directed by mods.

4. cometheart

cometheart Chieftain

Do you know how to edit the loading order (as you have mentioned) of the mod ? Where does the loading order defined?

5. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

editing the load order of the action won't matter in this case because original game files not part of a dlc are always loaded before anything from a mod.

You would need to edit the text file within the Ynaemp Mod. Within the mod the file is at
    Code:
    Gameplay/GamePlayText.xml

6. cometheart

cometheart Chieftain

I already know how to edit the position of a city state in a Ynaemp map, what troubles me is how to change the displayed city name of a given city state in a Ynaemp map. I tried to edit the CityNames_Text and Civilizations_Text file in F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Text\en_US

But it does not seems to work.

7. cometheart

cometheart Chieftain

I just found a line in this GamePlayText.xml file and here comes the line I need:
    <Replace Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_HONG_KONG" Text="hong kong" Language="en_US" />

I edited it into this

<Replace Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_HONG_KONG" Text="Lhasa" Language="en_US" />

Let me see if this is going to work.