How to counter pollution?

pillium

Chieftain
Hi,

I'm in late Industrial Age and having massive polluted squares popping up very frequent. I was warned of global warming and the lost of forest. What can I do? I have built coal plants in most of my cities and have lots of mines. I'm having 15 cities only. Please advice me on how to counter the pollution and reduce global warming? What will be the serious repercussion if I continue playing in this pollution world?

Tks in advance and appreciate your help or tips.:cry:

1. Sell all the coal plants.
2. Research Ecology
3. Build Mass Transportation
4. Build Solar Plants
5. Research Recycling
6. Build Recycling Centers

Do a bee line to both the ecology and recycling technologies. Then get your cities to build those eco-friendly improvements.

Then pray to (put your favorite diety here) that you did enough! :)

Also, railroad everything and as soon as an orange blob appears, rush workers there as if it was an invading force :) Of course it only works if you have lots of workers - I try to keep my workforce around 20-25, more when I'm laying down rails aggressively.

Once global warming has started, it can change your terrain, even if you have no squares currently polluted. This is very annoying; is there any way to stop that?
But I agree with the previous suggestions of having loads of workers on standby, and building railroads EVERYWHERE. I have yet to build power plants so I don't know which one is the best; I have built factories in most of my cities, and despite the pollution problems, I think it's worth it for the added production.
Now if only I could find some darned OIL on my map, I could take advantage of my production and build up an army of tanks to go kick some major arse.
:tank:

I haven't found factories or even coal plants to be big pollution generators, it's the population that litters all over... a 25+ population city tend to spit out some orange every 2-3 turns until you build mass transit system, then it goes down to a very small amount, and almost disappears once you add a recycling center.

I just finished a race to space game. You don't have the time or Lux to build that stuff.

I probably had 30-40 workers in auto polution cleanup for the last 90 years. Works fine. Of course you have to be able to afford them. But if your that far along and can't afford them, it probably hasn't been a very nice game:mad:

The simplest solution is to get the Hoover Dam which gives you a hydro plant in every city on your continent. This Wonder is probably my single most desired in the whole game and I get its tech ASAP.

By the way you can't build nuclear plants in every city only in those with water in their radius.

I wasn't sure before, but I ran a test - Nuke plants do NOT help with pollution. They don't create more, but they don't reduce either.

I tested by building one in a city that didn't have mass transportation or a recycling center yet, so it had lots of pollution being generated. No difference before and after.

Tks guys.... I'm finally in modern age and I got Ecology and built all the environment friendly improvements. Now I seldom have polluted squares but global warming still persist. I guess all my other civs have many mines around the map.

It seems that in original civ3 game pollution cannot be annihilated at all. :( I tried changing game in editor (setting pollution for mass transit and recycling center to minus value), but i'm still in medieval times, so cannot say if it works.

Top Bottom