How to create Units

I'm glad I got Gogf using Anim8or, now he can tell everyone else since I'm too lazy :lol:.

TO The Slayer: Model looks good, not sure how it fits into Civ 3 though. The walk makes her look like she's doing a dance, :). Also, theres a skip in your animation, you have to make them loop. You guys are doing better than I was, though. I got all the unfixable errors :(.

BTW: Gogf, you can make an animation in Anim8or an export it to bmps. That would be perfect with SBB, it imports bmps to make a unit.

Good luck ya' all.

Ok, I changed her accesories a little, and I donwloaded and imported Kinboat's file to poser. Then I made all the 8 directions...

but...

There's no shadows... how can I fix this?
The unit is not in the same position (angle of view) as the rest of the units.. ¿?¿?
I had to fix manually the sotyboard background.. is it normal? Which is the correct way?
For why is the "render potion"? Ok, usgin it the image is a lot better, but in mine there a light that I can't find that makes it too shiny.
The colors are messed up.. how can I edit the palette?. I heard about a program called PEdit, where can I find it?.

And, sorry if this questions have benn (or were supposedly been) answered before, but perhaps my english makes me not understand everything you said. The more clearer you can explain me, the better.

And, yes, I just a newbie in 3D desingin matters... that's another reason why I don't understand anything.

Please great unit makers, help me, I want to do also great units like yours!.

Thanks in advance.

Here's a preview of the unit:

Edit: a couple more of questions:

How can I assign the color I wish to be "civ-specific", so only the part of the clothes of this color changes?
How can I make the animations have less frames?. This walk have 30 frames... there're some another animated poses in the internet?, for attack and the like? Where I can find them.

Again, thanks.

The Slayer,
First of all, make sure you RENDER the animation, not preview. Then, make sure you check "anti-aliasing" and "cast shadows" in Render Options. That will enable smoothing and shadows...

Camera angles - as long as you don't mess with the camera, Kinboat's setup is perfect. Make sure you render using Main Camera, and NEVER move it, nor change it's properties. Use other cameras ie. Aux for all posing stuff, and rotate the figure body for different angles.

You shouldn't fix anything with the storyboard. I don't understand what was the problem?

For animations, just enter the number of frames you want in the box... it defaults to 30, but when you click on it, you can enter any number. And for walk animations, it's the same. You can enter any number in WalkDesigner's options.

BTW I think your unit is a bit too big. Try to compare your renders with Civ3 Swordsman for example. Things such as colour brightness, shining, reflections etc. can be adjusted in materials room (refer to Poser help).

Best sites to look for poses, animations and stuff are: www.renderosity.com , www.runtimedna.com and www.daz3d.com

To make civ-specific colours, fill the parts you want to be civ-specific with bright, saturated blue. Then you have to edit the palette to have that blue in proper areas. Generally, the first 16 colours of the palette are for shadows, next 16 are for smoke, and last 64 are for civcolours, but you should only use parts of these sets (also, I'm using Photoshop termininology - in Paint Shop Pro, "first" is last, and "last" is first). So, an example palette for Poser unit can look as in the picture attached. Notice that I used colours 2-8 for shadow (that makes sure the shadows are of proper intensity, though 2-7 is probably the best setting) and only a small part of civ-specific area, clearing the unused slots with lime green (this is needed in order to avoid mess, just believe it for now ;) ). You have to learn how to assemble such palettes with your 2D editing program, whatever you have ie. Photoshop, or PEdit available in the tutorials section here at CFC (posted by Kinboat). Doesn't matter how you do it, the result should be like this (see pic).

One more thing - the assembled palette should be applied to finished RGB storyboard of course, and save as PCX to use in FLICster.

Attachments

• untitled-1.gif
    untitled-1.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 130
This is a great thread, I will follow it, and if someone would do an tutorial (step by step) on making a unit in 3dstudio max it would be great. Especially the angles, how to setup lights etc. A pov-ray tutorial would also be great, but I guess that program is to complicated?

Is there a "base" huma model out there btw? That would work for civ units, some human models look much too thin.

I have begun on doing those tutorials for 3dstudio max, but I am not finished yet, so I guess I will not try to make units for a while. I have only reached the "chessboard pieces" and have done the horse/knight.

I sometimes gets "holes" though, even if I use the cap hole command.

But if there is some tutorials I just should skip? I didn't do the "2d logo to 3d logo" thing, as I guessed it woulden't really help me out, just confuse me.

Anim8tor is that a free program?

1. Explosions and smoke are tricky. Mostly if I need to do em, I do them later in PSP7. I'm sure there are probably ways you can do them in Poser, but I don't know how.

2. each unit creator has different techniques to creating units. Kindboat's setup is perfect and highly recomended. However, I personally DO rotate the camera and not the unit. If you know what you are doing it works just fine. Just use the dials on the right and not the icons on the left. Kinboat's setup should give the the appropriate size (for the most part), shadows, and camera angles. Also, It should already be set up for appropriate rendering. ie. anti-aliasing etc.

3. Poser is great for making human units, I'd probably recomend a different program if you want to make vehicles and ships.

4. There are many FREE things out there for poser that you can use. I do spend some money on things I like as I don't know how to make my own stuff yet. I do have Lightwave, but am trying to teach myself how to use it. I have no training in such things.

5. A few unit creators use special human models to make their units look more "civ-like". I believe Kinboat uploaded his models for use in a thread. I personally like the way the "thinner" less cartoonish models look in the game, so I don't bother to try to conform. People are happy with whatver you create.

6. For animations, frankly, you have to do these yourself. You just need some skill. Good luck.\

7. As for pallates. As most people here know. I HATE PALLETTES. I simply can't figure them out. (really, I have't tried THAT hard.) All I do is find a unit with simmilar colors that has already been made. I mostly use Kindboat's, Utah's, or Embryodead's. and Import that pallate for use with my unit. This works just fine if you don't want to spend the time messing with your pallete.

8. To make a particular item civ-colored, simply select the item and go to "render materials" select the color you want it "BLUE" and you're done. simple.

9. As for shadows. Make sure you have a ground plane. and make sure your figure casts shadows (check the "cast shadows" area) and make sure your lights cast shadows as well.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Kindred72
7. As for pallates. As most people here know. I HATE PALLETTES. I simply can't figure them out. (really, I have't tried THAT hard.) All I do is find a unit with simmilar colors that has already been made. I mostly use Kindboat's, Utah's, or Embryodead's. and Import that pallate for use with my unit. This works just fine if you don't want to spend the time messing with your pallete.

Kindred just mentioned by far the easiest way to handle pallettes. I used earlier this method, 'till I understood something about the pallettes :D

Frankly, the pallette-issues still sometimes cause me a bit of trouble. [knocking_on_wood] But recently I've avoided most of these issues [/knocking_on_wood]

A few words about the unit creation:
Pov-Ray is a tricky program, best suited for mechanical units, but not so much with humans ('cos they are easily the trickiest things to do quickly with pov-ray). Believe me, I've done those. The upside of pov-ray is, that it is completely free. The downside is, that the learning curve is from 2 weeks - 2 years.

POV-Ray is hell! ;) I once tried to learn it, but when I saw it looks more like C++ I gave up :p

@Risbinroch
I doubt anyone will be able to help with 3DS - I don't think anyone uses it do make units from beginning to end... (I know Balou and Level did, but they're retired). You can check Level's tutorial though, in the Tutorials section here at CFC. For base human units, 3DS has Character Studio, doesn't it?

Palettes are easy, pick up a book about game/graphics programming and you will have it figured it out in no time.

EDIT: The book should be published somewhere around 1994 or earlier, when programmers were forced to do what Firaxis has *opted* to do with regards to how images are stored and part of how they are displayed. Anything that deals directly with the VGA will probably have enough conceptual information to help you. You don't even have to buy the book, just read that section in the bookstore.

An EssentialColors.pal palette file is available somewhere in these forums (if not, I will post it on request). It has all the civ-specific and alpha blend colors picked already, so all you have to do is use PEdit to pick colors for the unused slots and then apply the palette to your storyboard. All blue-colored pixels of your animation will become civ-specific, and all pink shades will become alpha blend pixels. If you use a palette like embryodead's, you are losing A LOT of civ-specific and alpha colors, because there are more than the ones that preview shows.

Originally posted by truckingpete
you wrote the same thing twice...anyway

did you get the bird to animate Suleiman?? I can figure that out..i got my bone structure and everything but i cant make it animate

Sorry I didnt reply earlier, well I cudnt even if I wanted to I was travelling, so anyways yeah I got teh bird to animate and I also made a small movie of teh bird walking around I was so happy :D

Now I am going to try the reflections adn teh shadpws tutorial lets see how it works out.

If you could tell me where u hv the problem maybe I can help.

Originally posted by Suleiman Pasha

Sorry I didnt reply earlier, well I cudnt even if I wanted to I was travelling, so anyways yeah I got teh bird to animate and I also made a small movie of teh bird walking around I was so happy :D

Now I am going to try the reflections adn teh shadpws tutorial lets see how it works out.

If you could tell me where u hv the problem maybe I can help.

I am in the Sequence screen and i cant get it to animate??

do you click on something or what??

I just dont get it

Sorry. The tutorial is annoying, because it's hard to explain. I'm still working on it, but don't expect it too soon. I am open to answer any questions you have on how to work it though. Embryodead seems to know more than me period, as well as on Poser.

Originally posted by truckingpete

I am in the Sequence screen and i cant get it to animate??

do you click on something or what??

I just dont get it

Well all I did was first create the bones and stuff add objects to it then switch to the camera view and then make the walking sequence as it was shwoed in the tutorial then after doing the walking cycle twice then just press the play button to see ur anuimation

Great thread! I have not even attempted to do a unit yet, but I will at some point - soon probably since no one seems interestied in making Dino or Kaiju units...

What is the general consensus on the best program available? Options are what I am looking for mostly. Ease of use is not a problem, even if I have to code everything.

Top Bottom