How to create your own Let's Play video series

MadDjinn

Deity
How to create your very own Let's Play video series​

This thread is meant to give some basic hints on how to record your own "Let's Play" videos.
Any comments, or suggestions for software setups, or similar things are very welcome :).

How to record a "Let's Play"

There are a number of different software options for recording, so you can pick one that works for you (and fits a budget). In some cases, paying for recording software does give you better quality (and features for editing) but it's not always required. There are plenty of 'free' software packages that can get the job done.

DaveMcW uses a combination of Camstudio (recording) and Xvid (codec) and VideoDub (post-processing).

Link to video.

Thanks to DaveMcW for this video :hatsoff:.

TheMeInTeam has used Camstudio (recording) and divX (codec) very successfully for some time. The DivX codec can sometimes be used 'free', but might require a purchase if the features don't work well.

Link to video.

TMITs comments on it:

"Cam studio is free, open source, and doesn't need to app-hook, you can literally (and simply) just record anything box-size or full screen. I am using a lossy codec, but balancing it with a high bitrate for the quality. This creates 15 minute videos ~500 mb. For me, that has the advantages of a) youtube will actually allow that file size as a standard upload (it converts them to mp4 post upload) and b) I retain quality and don't have to do any post-editing at all unless I run too long and split videos. For me, this represents a reasonably strong-quality compromise.

Another description by MadDjinn can be found here.

MadDjinn uses fraps to record in full 1080p (lossless codec), then downscales the videos (and edits) using Windows Live Movie Maker (~30-40min videos at 720p). DivX converter can then be used to 'enhance' the quality of the video as well as trim the file size. (lossy codec) Be warned: You need a Terabyte or two of HD space available to handle the fraps files (at 1080p - lossless) before they are processed (~5-6ish hrs/terabyte = 10-12 30 min videos).

Needed software

You need one video capturing and one video processing software. You might also want to find a good video codec (depending on what video capture software you have) to increase the quality of the videos. Which one you choose is up to you, depending on your preferences and budget.

Codec:
- XVid codec
- DivX Codec
-- Note: the DivX Pro package comes with a DivX converter and more options for the video codec. But that costs money.

Video capturing software:
- CamStudio (free)
- Fraps (one time cost)

Video processing software:
- VirtualDub
- Super

Posting Videos on YouTube

If you're new to Youtube, then before you record, you'll need to know a few things.

1) New YouTube channels (your stuff) can only upload 15 min videos. This restriction will end once you start getting subscribers and views of your videos. (~100k views over a 'short' period of time) At which point, you can upload unlimited length videos, but they have to be below 2 Gb in size. You can become a YouTube Partner for other benefits.

2) YouTube has a 'it's your fault, don't whine to us' policy when it comes to Copyright Infringements. Do NOT request mislabelled Copyright Infringements to be removed without serious backup. Their policy is to hand out infractions for bothering them, so if you don't have proof that the content is mislabelled, you risk getting an infraction. Too many and you'll be dropped back to 15 min videos, or (potentially) kicked off Youtube.

** Note: Civ 5 seems to have Youtube marking videos as Music Publishing Rights Collecting Society Content Type: Musical Composition infringements. (Ie, the music is 'owned' by them) The worst that happens is they place ads on the videos (Or, if you actually recorded music over it, you might be forced to take the video down).

3) Otherwise, just have a good connection and upload away!

If you're creating an LP series (more than one video) it's best to arrange them in 'Playlists' on Youtube so that viewers can find them (especially if you upload content from multiple games at a time, rather than just one set at a time).

How to use the Youtube tag in a forum post

You can directly embed youtube videos (and only youtube videos; other services like myvideo or viddler don't work) directly here into a post, like the video from DaveMcW and TMIT above.
To do that, you have to copy the ID of the video:

and put it between the youtube tags:

So that it reads [YOUTUBE]wrMuwPIgUmw[/YOUTUBE] in the post.
Nothing more is required.

General notes for LPs being posted on the CFC forums

Not all LPs need to show 'the best strategy in the world!!!'. If you're feeling like a good story telling LP, that's good too. If you just want to show some basics, then go for it. Try to have decent commentary though, (even if it's just colour commentary) and show what you're talking about. If you sound bored, then your audience will be as well.

Definitely do not swear, or use 'colourful expressions'. It will turn viewers off and is also against the content rules of the forums (if you post it here, it counts as forum content). Keep the content 'clean'-ish and you'll do fine.

I do the camstudio-Xvid-Windows moviemaker combo. I just started to use moviemaker before Virtual Dub(was following Dave's process) and found that pretty easy to use.

I also have approx 400 MB for each 15 min of videos but under 720p on youtube. 1080p is way too huge. I do record in 1080p though.

Fraps seems to give more ''fluid'' results than camstudio. Because camstudio is free it's less good than fraps i guess?

I just want to say : I have a 8mb internet connection and it takes me approx. 1 hour and 15 minutes to upload a 400mb file on youtube. It's not that bad, excepted that my connection is more slow during that time. I bet that a way better connection is less painful. Maybe not for the upload part, but at least you keep your download rate high enough.

Question : How can you upload more than 15 min. videos on youtube? Do you need to be a ''trusted'' member first?

Edit : nevermind, you already explained how. Thank you.

Fraps seems to give more ''fluid'' results than camstudio. Because camstudio is free it's less good than fraps i guess?

I just want to say : I have a 8mb internet connection and it takes me approx. 1 hour and 15 minutes to upload a 400mb file on youtube. It's not that bad, excepted that my connection is more slow during that time. I bet that a way better connection is less painful. Maybe not for the upload part, but at least you keep your download rate high enough.

I wouldn't say camstudio is 'worse' than fraps, just because it's free. You need good codecs to make either one work well. Fraps comes with its own lossless codec, so the data is still there before you convert it to 720p from 1080p. If you record with a good lossy codec (like divX) then the output is pretty good.

For uploading to Youtube, it's all about your upload speed. usually the 8 Mb connection only refers to download speed, and since you're here with me in Quebec, you're likely stuck with a 1-1.5 Mb/s upload speed.

Be warned: You need a Terabyte or two of HD space available to handle the fraps files (at 1080p - lossless) before they are processed (~5-6ish hrs/terabyte = 10-12 30 min videos).

It's worth noting that you can make do with much less (I use the same setup with a 240 GB hard drive) if you process as you go along, and delete the original fraps files. This is probably advisable anyways to reduce the amount of work you have to do right at the very end.

It's worth noting that you can make do with much less (I use the same setup with a 240 GB hard drive) if you process as you go along, and delete the original fraps files. This is probably advisable anyways to reduce the amount of work you have to do right at the very end.

You definitely can do that.

I just like recording a lot, then working on the processing later.

I am curious. Are Civ V Let's Play eligible for monetization? Some game developers allow for the monetization of Let's Play of some games. In other words, does Firaxis permit the monetization of gameplay videos? If so, it would be a good way to make money, if viewers do not mind advertising. If not, oh well (at least there would be no advertising).

Update:

Yes, they can be monetized. For example, see Yoruus's Let's Plays, which are monetized by having advertising from TGN.

I've tried using Camstudio (recording) and Xvid (codec) to record videos in both Civ 5 and Endless Space, but all I get is either a black screen or an image of my desktop instead of the game.

There also needs to be discussion on how to create Let's Plays on the Mac.

The Mac has iMovie (pre-installed) for post-production.

I have updated my earlier post about the monetization of Let's Plays.

I've tried using Camstudio (recording) and Xvid (codec) to record videos in both Civ 5 and Endless Space, but all I get is either a black screen or an image of my desktop instead of the game.

I have the same problem... Is there a solution to that ?

I recommend you guys use Razer game booster or NVidia Experience to record the videos.

Both are free and downloadable. And easy to use too.

I use sony vegas for editing, but
more on that later

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

There also needs to be discussion on how to create Let's Plays on the Mac.

The Mac has iMovie (pre-installed) for post-production.

I have updated my earlier post about the monetization of Let's Plays.

Can you use QuickTime to record the video on the screen? But about putting a picture-in-picture window in--would that require additional software? And if so, what's good for Mac?

Quicktime is OK for Mac but you can either record computer audio OR microphone voice-over. Not both, as far as I know.

Screenflow should allow for both, but basically doesn't work. The developer's forum is full of people complaining.

If someone knows of a solution for Mac and can PM me, I'd be very grateful. Cheers.

I'm very much new to making Let's Plays, and so I'm trying to keep myself out of trouble with Youtube. Hence, I have questions wrt. Civ music.

From what I understand from this thread and others, you cannot record a game of Civ 5 or Civ 4 with the music turned on, as bits of both musical scores will be hit for copyright infringement. Does this also apply to Civ 1 through 3? What about music in other segments, like creating Great Works of music, wonder movies and such; are those bits also eligible for a copyright violation? Should civ games be played completely muted, or is it sufficient to deactivate the background music?

Some game studios make it clear whether their games are 'all cleared' or not wrt. music copyright, or at least which bits are licensed and thus "verboten" on Youtube, but I have not been able to determine this for Firaxis games. Would anyone happen to know what's safe to record in the Civ universe?

I'm sorry for asking, but I don't really understand my question in the OP...

I have a video ready for uploading, how do I make sure I don't get in trouble for copyright? What all should I put in the description (including a picture of the game) to avoid this issue?

Also, is it true you can't have any music from games while recording?

Top Bottom