[R&F] How to deal with Mongols?

oPunchDrunko

Prince
I recently had to quit a game because I was overwhelmed by Genghis. There were 4 civs (including me) and he wiped out the other 2 civs really fast. He had something like 10-15 cities and I only had 3. I tried building up my army so I could take him on and I got demolished by his horsemen who had 4+ combat strength than normal calvary.

I was outmatched in military and science. Like I said I had to quit because I had no chance of winning a domination victory, which is what I was going for.

Do you guys have any tips on dealing with Mongolia?

This is on Prince if you’re wondering.

don't play with them, or make a mod to nerf them. they are that OP there's no actual way to "deal with them"

My spearman couldn’t even make a dent in the horseman. They only took 1/4 of the horseman’s health away. That’s ridiculous. On top of that, they captured MY calvary, which made it even more ridiculous.

In multiplayer, people instantly declare war on Mongolia upon meeting them. This way, they can't send trade routes to you and get the +6 attack boost. The +3 attack boost to Cavalry is annoying but generally manageable. To prevent Genghis conquering AI Civs, have them join you in joint wars against him to limit the spread of his trade outposts. Alternatively, use France to counteract his boosts by gaining additional diplomatic visibility of your own via Catherine's passive and spy missions. If Genghis does trade with you, maintain good relations with him until you can spy on him.

I'm guessing this is not multiplayer since you mentioned Prince level.

The best course of action is to not let them get that powerful in the game. You were probably right to quit, it was too late to mount an effective defense. The best thing is to not let yourself fall so far behind in number of cities.

They can be countered, but often not in the open field of battle. Usually by attacks from your cities (or cities you capture). You will need knights, if you don't have them, you probably are in a hopeless situation. Otherwise crossbowman and pikeman are your best shot.

My spearman couldn’t even make a dent in the horseman. They only took 1/4 of the horseman’s health away. That’s ridiculous. On top of that, they captured MY calvary, which made it even more ridiculous.

Make sure to build a campus district or two so you don't fall too far behind. With spearmen and horsemen you won't be able to take on their knights and Keshig's. In this case you should pick up military tactics so you can field Pikemen. Pick up the tech for crossbowmen as well, and then Stirrups for Knights.

You mentioned they have horsemen, so perhaps you are earlier in the game than I realized. Either way, going for those techs mentioned above is important. If you have horsemen, you don't want to leave wounded horsemen out in the open. As I mentioned, open field battle with them is dangerous. Attacking with ranged units from cities will be your best bet until you can overwhelm him. Make sure to build ancient walls to get another attack on those units.

Last edited by a moderator:

The best course of action is to not let them get that powerful in the game. You were probably right to quit, it was too late to mount an effective defense. The best thing is to not let yourself fall so far behind in number of cities.

They can be countered, but often not in the open field of battle. Usually by attacks from your cities (or cities you capture). You will need knights, if you don't have them, you probably are in a hopeless situation. Otherwise crossbowman and pikeman are your best shot.
Agreed. Don't be reckless with knights however as Keshigs and other cavalry units can capture them. Steer clear of Medieval combat if possible IMO.

You’re probably right, i shouldn’t have let Genghis eliminate those other civs and conquer all of those cities. Now that I have a little experience with him I now know better, lol.

While Mongols are a bit broken, and you can try putting in a listening post to offset the bonus, the bigger problem is you not having enough cities. On Prince, you should always be able to have more cities than the AI, even if they swallow a neighbor or two. Unfortunately, due to how districts work, quantity is generally better than quality.

While Mongols are a bit broken, and you can try putting in a listening post to offset the bonus, the bigger problem is you not having enough cities. On Prince, you should always be able to have more cities than the AI, even if they swallow a neighbor or two. Unfortunately, due to how districts work, quantity is generally better than quality.

Well there were 2 things that happened:

1: I took my time building up my empire. I ran out of space quickly since I was playing on the four leaf clover map, which the map size is tiny. I could only get away with founding 3 cities.

2: The Mongols spread like wildfire. Before the Medieval age Genghis conquered 2 civs and had 15 cities. They were pumping out calvary like candy and I fell behind in science. I couldn’t keep up.

Well there were 2 things that happened:

1: I took my time building up my empire. I ran out of space quickly since I was playing on the four leaf clover map, which the map size is tiny. I could only get away with founding 3 cities.

2: The Mongols spread like wildfire. Before the Medieval age Genghis conquered 2 civs and had 15 cities. They were pumping out calvary like candy and I fell behind in science. I couldn’t keep up.
There's definitely ways to sort them:
  • Declare war on Mongolia immediately to prevent them trading with you for +6 attack.
  • Get the AI to go to war with Mongolia to prevent Mongolia from trading with and conquering the world.
  • Catherine is a counter to Mongolia. Her passive diplomatic visibility cancels Mongolia's trade boost and she can easily use the Listening Post mission earlier than him.
  • In general, use your spies to get visibility on him to negate your bonus.
  • Bide your time: Mongolia is strongest in the Medieval era so avoid him then. Mongolia also gets a massive advantage if they have the printing tech and you don't.
  • Be wary about using cavalry as Mongolia can capture them from you.

Top Bottom