1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to declare a Skirmish War

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by King Phaedron, Aug 21, 2020.

1. King Phaedron

King Phaedron Chieftain

Skirmish War: Generates 40 grievances, ends automatically after 5 turns. Units may engage with other units, and capture civilian targets. Units may not enter enemy territory or attack enemy cities. Open borders agreements are terminated. Does not prevent normal war or another skirmish war once Skirmish war has ended.

Players and AI alike should use Skirmish war when:

A) A settler or builder wanders within range in the early game. (Guarded or unguarded)
    B) You wish to engage a buildup of troops on your border.
    C) You brush up against a damaged unit and just want to kill them.
    D) You decide to interfere in their war against another player or city state you are not Suzerain of, and cannot declare a protectorate war.

This is actually good for the AI, because when war is decalred against them, they move their archers to garrison their cities, but if they declare the war, or the cities are not in danger, they are free to act offensively. This was also a good tactic to use against a hostile neighbor in Civ5. Don't wait until Ghenghis Khan has parked an army on your doorstep. You delcare the war instead of him and he'll play defensively.

In Civilization 1 and 2 this would happen all the time. If you move a weakened ship near a rival civs ship, you know the AI is going to break the treat and that unit will be lost. How many times will you reload to save units, if it's not important, suck up the loss like a man.

Unless they have become your friend, they should seize every strategic advantage.

I recommend along with this, a temporary relationship modifier for issues such as "Stolen Settlers" because the grievances decay too quickly.

I once played a game of Civ2 where I was allied with Celts for most of the game. Shortly after the alliance dissolved they began a war out of nowhere by nuking one of my high population cities from a submarine. It didn't make me angry, so much as surprised. "Okay, you want to do that, I can respect that, but now I'm going to finish you off!" Was my attitude.

It's sad that the Civilization series is now mainly designed for old grandmothers who don't want to deal with war.

In the history of REAL Civilizations, a computer in the 1960's, counted over 14,000 major wars. That's not even counting Skirmishes. From 4000 BC to 1960 AD. 14,000 wars. And you want to glide through the game peacefully, never having a war with anyone?

Also, what is it going to take for them to make a Civilization game with PROGRESSIVE DIFFICULTIES. It isn't any fun for me to be completely inferior in the first 3 ages of the Game, and then completely superior in every other age. LEARN YOUR FREAKIN LESSONS ALREADY DEVS!

2. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

While I disagree with the confrontational tone and angry mood. I think skirmish wars could be a good Idea.

I think the late game problems come from the repetition of city management and mundane tasks (this can be easily fixed with puppet cities, addition of focus in addition to city projects, autorepair options and so on), the lack of late game AI agression and the lack of true diplomatic interactions, such as World Wars or trade blockades in the WC.

3. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff