How to defend against a colonial war

TheMadTitan

Chieftain
I need someones help and fast

Im new to civilisation as a whole, pity i didn't discover it earlier

I've been building my city for a while now, but haven't been able to keep up, spain is two technological eras ahead of me and her armies have declared war on me

I need tips and advice how to defend with just Calvary and crossbowman, if i dont do something now her armies will destroy my base, any tips?

The AI is notoriously poor at invasion stretegy. Keep building units, and keep them out of range of the AI, and you should be able to pick them off one by one. Beat that first invasion rush, and you're fine. They never send a second army behind the first assault.

I forgot to mention that this also ends up leaving you with a larger army by the end of the war, discouraging them from ininvadi you again any time soon.

Im playing at prince difficulty, i suppose the mistake was not growing my city quickly enough, ill keep spamming those units then

If you're two eras behind the AI, and a poor one like Spain, on prince difficulty, you're doing something terribly wrong. If you provide more details, perhaps we will be able to help improve your strategy. You keep mentioning "your city" - do you have only one? In Civ VI you need to play "wide", that is have as many cities as possible.

If you're two eras behind the AI, and a poor one like Spain, on prince difficulty, you're doing something terribly wrong. If you provide more details, perhaps we will be able to help improve your strategy. You keep mentioning "your city" - do you have only one? In Civ VI you need to play "wide", that is have as many cities as possible.

Ay, its my first game mate, obviously i made a mistake of not researching quickly enough even though im going as fast as possible, i suspected it could have something to do with my production, could you explain to me how that works?

And yes i've built 5 cities, ranging from 3 - 15 population, the only issue however is that my main base borders spains

You should settle on plains hills, and in places surrounded by hills, to get enough production from mines. Chopping forests, jungles and weak resources like stone, especially combined with Magnus the governor, provides production boosts. You should make campus districts in optimal locations (near mountains for adjecency bonuses) for science and commercial hubs on rivers for gold. Early conquest in the ancient and classical eras is important - exploit eurekas to quickly get a few archers upgraded from slingers, and warriors, to conquer your neighbours. And by turn 100ish you should have ca. 10 cities.

Your first game should not be on prince btw. To get to know the game you should start on a lower level, there is no shame in that. I progressed through increasing difficulties and I enjoyed the learning experience.

I would try to ally with another civ that also does not like Spain and appoint Victor if he is available.

What kind of military are they coming at you with?

I would try to ally with another civ that also does not like Spain and appoint Victor if he is available.

I teamed with germany, they did send some apostles, no troops as of yet

What kind of military are they coming at you with?

Technological era combined with some classical/Renaissance units

Last edited by a moderator:
Does not sound too hard. Do you have a screen cap?

Is this bad for progression? Im surrounded by spain and an island, they have helicopters but i can defend against the classical units

I teamed with germany, they did send some apostles, no troops as of yet
Troops may be hard to come by with the AI. What might benefit more are the trades routes and a military/scientific alliance.

Is this bad for progression? Im surrounded by spain and an island, they have helicopters but i can defend against the classical units
Spain is beyond Classical that I can see. You have a lot of gold and faith so maybe you can buy a great general and more cavalry and then combine them into Corps in 4 turns. It is unfortunate that most of the AI does not like you, otherwise you could have more alliances.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you do frigates? They may help you kill units in that bottleneck there.
Change your reseach to something military friendly
Try to run policy cards that speeds up military building or give you miliary strenth (If you have those)
And put a melee unit in your city under attack to strengthen it

Tip for your next game: Focus on science. Campus is often the first district to build

Frigates would be a good idea. You're 4 turns away from Nationalism, so what you should do is retreat your troops and form them into corps. Also switch production to encampments.

Also you should really change research to ballistics to get field cannons.

Extra bombard attack and can slow down the infantry. AI is stupid and you can be 100% safe on Prince just from having encampments.

You could also build the Great Wall on the empire edge, although it is too far for Xian to work it.

I would escalate the conflict and use the doomsday device, ctrl+alt+delete (ie. start another game @ a lower difficulty level). If you don’t do it soon, I suspect the AI will (via a few nukes). Even if the game is salvageable, I doubt you will learn much anything of value. Late era AI units versus human earlier era defenders is about as anomalous as it gets once you get the hang of the game. What you need to learn is how to resolve early era conflicts quickly and favorably (not late era combat mechanics).

For the next game work science as early as possible as was mentioned previously. Campus districts. Multiple campus districts.

I would escalate the conflict and use the doomsday device, ctrl+alt+delete (ie. start another game @ a lower difficulty level). If you don’t do it soon, I suspect the AI will (via a few nukes). Even if the game is salvageable, I doubt you will learn much anything of value. Late era AI units versus human earlier era defenders is about as anomalous as it gets once you get the hang of the game. What you need to learn is how to resolve early era conflicts quickly and favorably (not late era combat mechanics).

For the next game work science as early as possible as was mentioned previously. Campus districts. Multiple campus districts.

Im not sure if the AI will nuke me, it was too dumb to do anything as people here already told me, and i was able to negotiate peace, im already fast tracking science and production as a main priority, hopefully ill kick his ass later on

Top Bottom