1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to disable favourite religion for all leaders?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by tebriz, Dec 16, 2013.

1. tebriz

tebriz Warlord

As everyone knows, most of the leaders have one favorite religion, and when a new religion is found every leader that has it as its favorite gets that religion spread in his capital.
    Is there a way to turn this feature off?

2. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Yes. I did not make it an option because t helps spread the later religions. In the folder Assets/Config edit the file The_JMods.XML and remove the line
    Code:
     	<event type="religionFounded" function="onReligionFounded"/>
    Without this it should b easier to beat the AI also. ;)

3. tebriz

tebriz Warlord

Thank you very much for your prompt answer.

I never liked this feature and always wanted to disable it. It feels very unrealistic and unbalanced for me.

Why do you think it helps to spread later religions and strengthens AI?

In my opinion it is quite the opposite. First of all, I have noticed that AI always try to find a religion if they haven't found one already. They are even more eager to find a religion if none of their cities posses a religion. So, granting them their favorite religion early in game may be an advantage on a short term, but it also makes them less eager to find a religion themselves (making it an disadvantage on a long term).

Regarding spread of later religions - as I have explained above, turning off this feature will make AI more eager to find new religions. So, obviously, later religions will be in game earlier than they would be with this feature on. And anyway, contribution of this feature in overall spread of later religions is very insignificant if we compare it with "multiple religion spread" feature.

4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Experience. Not having a religion is a big handicap and if they play against me they wont found any religion the way it is at the moment.

5. tebriz

tebriz Warlord

It also depends on each particular game ofc. If there are many starting civilizations (I am going to start my new game with 20 starting civilizations), it is very difficult for human player to find all early religions. Anyway, I don't go after many religions - I am satisfied with just one. So in my case AI doesn't have such a big handicap as in yours.

Also turning this feature off will make religions spread more geographically - meaning more neighbors will have same religion and thus better relations and collaboration among themselves.
    Imagine a small continent with just 3-4 civilizations on it, all having same religion due to the fact that only one of them managed to find religion and then spread it to his neighbors.
    And same continent with different religions (and bad relations among civs) due to the fact that each of them inherited an oversea religion from a civilization they haven't even met.

If you take this in consideration too, it adds an advantage for AI.

6. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

The point of religions in BtS is to increase the reasons for gong to war.

7. tebriz

tebriz Warlord

There will still be religious wars, but they will happen along separation line of religions (it will feel much more realistic and close to real history).

I was thinking about positive handicap that keeping this feature ON gives to AI, and I think I will agree with you at some point.
    If I recall every game I have played, I remember that leaders having very ancient religions (Druidism, Shamanism, Tengriism, Mesopotamism) as their favorite, indeed were doing very well in game. But the later the religion, the less is the effect. So, remember that this positive handicap is given only to few (not all) civilization, which in turn makes competition between AIs more unbalanced. Also, if someone thinks it is too easy to beat AI he can change the difficulty of game in many other ways without hurting refinement of game.

8. tebriz

tebriz Warlord

Hello again after more than 6 years :)
    How can I can disable the abovementioned effect of favourite religion now? I can't find The_JMods.XML file in C2C folders now...

9. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

The code in the modules was merged into the main Python removing the config stuff. @Toffer90 may know how to do it now.

MattCA and Yudishtira like this.
  10. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I can make it a BUG option for you; but in the meantime, just delete this section inside:
    CvEventManager.py
    Code:
            # Favorite religion
            for iPlayerX in xrange(self.MAX_PC_PLAYERS):
                if iPlayerX == iPlayer: continue
                CyPlayerX = GC.getPlayer(iPlayerX)
                if CyPlayerX.isAlive() and iReligion == GC.getLeaderHeadInfo(CyPlayerX.getLeaderType()).getFavoriteReligion():
                    CyPlayerX.getCapitalCity().setHasReligion(iReligion, True, True, True)
                    if CyPlayerX.isHuman():
                        strReligionName = GC.getReligionInfo(iReligion).getText()
                        popup = PyPopup.PyPopup(-1)
                        popup.setHeaderString(TRNSLTR.getText("TXT_KEY_POPUP_FAVORITE_RELIGION_HEADER",()))
                        popup.setBodyString(TRNSLTR.getText("TXT_KEY_POPUP_FAVORITE_RELIGION_TEXT", (strReligionName, strReligionName)))
                        popup.launch(True, PopupStates.POPUPSTATE_IMMEDIATE)

11. tebriz

tebriz Warlord

Thank you very much for your quick reply!
    Yes, I think it would be very useful to add it as a BUG option. I wonder how no one else has asked it in all these years :)

12. arihant

arihant Warlord

TBH I like another reason for war. Religions wars are fun :devil:

13. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I've added a BUG option for this feature, it's on its way to SVN now (rev. 11221).

JosEPh_II and tebriz like this.
  14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I saw that and thought it was a very good idea.

15. MacCoise

MacCoise Prince

I delete this before every game

16. jshetley

jshetley Warlord

Any kind of war in this game is good as long as you are ready for it. As far as religion wars go I wish the wedding event still had going to war as an option if you went ahead anyway after being threatened. That helped me get into wars I did not want to start myself because of the you declared war on my friend diplomacy hit.

17. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

:thumbsup:

18. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Pity that we can't make it an option based on difficulty. Turning it off makes life easier for players :(

19. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Of course we could - though I find it more of a flavor issue than a difficulty one and feel I've been one to benefit most when the game is on a hard enough difficulty I can't get to a Religious tech before the AI take them all.

20. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Unless it has been changed, the AI will only adopt their favorite religion no matter how many they get. Not having a religion is very bad for almost everything, production, commerce, et al.

I did suggest that leaders keep their favorite religion but also have a list of other religions that they would adopt if they did not yet have it. Changes would then be needed to get them to spread their favorite as soon as possible to all their cities and then adopt it at a suitable juncture.