1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to do Canada UHV?

Discussion in 'Gameplay Guides' started by MagnificentMOFO, Aug 27, 2018.

1. MagnificentMOFO

MagnificentMOFO Chieftain

This one just confuses me.

When it comes to the railroad, I automatically am given a check mark to indicate my capital (Montreal) is connected to an Atlantic Port, despite not having built any railroads (and there not being a continuous railroad connection to any Atlantic Ports). I also can't get a check mark for the Pacific port. I built Vancouver and built a railroad pathway to Montreal, but it didn't give me a check mark. What exactly indicates a railroad reaches a port for this one?

Also, for controlling every city in Canada, how do I get the British out of St. John's? I obviously can't invade it (as per the requirement), so what am I supposed to do? Do I just need to try and get it to culturally flip? I kept asking them for it, but they kept refusing (had them at Pleased).

1SDAN likes this.
  2. Logoncal

Logoncal Chieftain

The answer is probably Congress. St John's is historical, so the AI has a bias to vote YES for you.

But do keep in mind, the Congress does not roll when war is happening and as such, you have to make people go to peace or the Congress will not kick in.

As for the Railroad.... have you tried to have a culture on every tile of the Railroad? It's probably that.

1SDAN likes this.
  3. MagnificentMOFO

Yikes!
    EDIT: Yeah, I'm not sure what to do about this. I ended way over 12 wars, but just as I got close to ending all of them, another world war started. I also don't even think I would have even been invited to the Congress, since my score was too low (I was just hording gold to end wars). I'm thinking I should do a 600 AD start and just hope Newfoundland stays empty...

That worked, thanks.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    1SDAN likes this.
  4. Orbii

Orbii Chieftain

Some other tips (I'm assuming you're having no troubles with UHV2, except for St. John's):

Spoiler Tips :

UHV1 automatically has an "Atlantic Port with Railroad" completed because Montreal is an Atlantic Port, and it has a railroad on its tile automatically. This second point is a general feature with road mechanics: once you research the tech that gives you the ability to make a road, all your city tiles automatically get the road under it. This is why you never have to railroad the city tile itself.

UHV1 goes a lot faster if you buy a coal resource from someone on the first few turns (America usually). Doesn't matter if you're paying an arm or a leg for it. Your only coal resource is in Western Alberta in the Rockies, and by the time you get it improved you'll be able to cancel the coal deal.

For St. John's, there's three ways of getting the city: culture flip, being gifted the city diplomatically, and a Congress. The first two both depend on having a lot of culture in St. John's. Invest in culture infrastructure in Halifax, settle cities in Labrador, and run up the culture slider (the second of these should be done anyways for UHV2). I tend to use the first Great Engineer out of Montreal to build the National Theatre in Halifax to help this process along. Using the spy action to spread culture in St. John's also helps. Also try to keep Great Britain happy (send them Great Statesman for diplo missions, roll over at any of their requests, join their wars; follow Canada's history as a dominion basically) and you might just be surprised when Vicky offers up St. John's for nothing.

To get St. John's in a Congress, you need to be invited to the Congress, which means you need to be one of the G8. This is.... a struggle. Try building up your cities with infrastructure so that you can make a mildly respectable tech engine and to increase your score as well. I find Alberta, Winnipeg, and the St. Lawrence cities to be your best (with absolutely no bias, Edmonton is a superb city due to abundant forests for chopping, riverine grasslands, and potential for National Park superdom). During the UHV2 culture rush, you'll probably steal some tiles from the Americans. Boston usually flips, because it's a terrible city with no production and commerce to oppose your core in the St. Lawrence. Keep it so you can poach the tiles in New England for Toronto/Montreal.

5. MagnificentMOFO

Got the win, thanks. Britain offered it once I reduced it to one tile.

6. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

HighFunctioningAlcoholic Chieftain

The railway has to be entirely "in" Canada, so make sure it doesn't dip into the US.

As for St. John's, if you just send a ****-ton of spies and spread culture, they'll eventually offer it to you.