How to edit buildings-large/small.pcx fast?

Samez

Emperor
I am currently working on some buildings so I tried to edit the buildings_large.pcx and buildings_small.pcx. As I copy and pasted the stuff I created into the the files I messed up the pallete of the original file. Creating the new palette caused some trouble as two magenta-type colours were automatically indexed by the gimp. Solving this problem costed my some time so I asked myself:
Is there a fast way to copy and paste new buildings in these files (without getting palette problems)
And what is the best way to publish the small icons for the buildings I made?
Here I've seen some stuff mith the magenta background but wouldn't it be easier to use something with transparencies?

If you are editing this in the GIMP, you should be able to open up the buildings_large.pcx and paste in whatever you like...the GIMP will force the pasted bit to take on the palette of the original file so long as you do not change it from being indexed and save it again as an indexed .pcx

To create icons for the buildings_large and buildings_small crop each of the original .pcx down to 1 blank magenta square and save it as a template. That way it'll be the correct size and retain the palette. Resize and copy the image of that you want for the icon and paste it into the template, saving it as your buildings_large/small icon. That way people can simply copy and paste it, it is already indexed and the background color is correct; they don't need to worry about the palette or having a program that handles Alpha Channel transparencies or the like.

Thanks for the hint with resizing the original file to keep the palette... That makes things really easy (and adding multiple icons much faster....)

The Buildings Large is a Rectangle... without the Frame the Image is Width 50 pixels x Height 40 pixels, 448.000 Resolution.
The Buildings Small is a Square...without the Frame the Image is Width 32 pixels x Height 32 pixels, 3000.000 Resolution.

One thing you can do to get better Images is to copy one Frame of each of these Files and have them on your Screen as you are working to make an image to fit them.

While looking at the Building Frame, resize your New building image by Zooming out until you have it about the same size as the buildings small or large frame. Take a Screenshot of the Screen (Alt+Printscreen), Paste it as a new Image (Ctrl+V) and then select and Copy just your New Image (Ctrl+C) and paste it as a New Image (Ctrl+V). You can then adjust the Brightness, Contrast, etc... as you like then Copy this Image and paste it onto your buildings Large or Small File. The Palette on those files will remain the same so you simply save the File again as what it is.
... This is also a good technique for getting better Civilopedia Images. Many times if we just reduce the size of an image in a Graphics Editor, it will distort or change the image in ways that are not as good. This Technique will help maintain the Image even at very small sizes :)

When you Upload a building Image for others, it is Best if you copy the Image after it is on the buildings large and buildings small files.... Enlarge the Files so you see the frames clearly and Copy the single Frame of your new building Image...Copy the Frame with the Image so people can easily place it on their buildings large and small files easily.

... This is also a good technique for getting better Civilopedia Images. Many times if we just reduce the size of an image in a Graphics Editor, it will distort or change the image in ways that are not as good. This Technique will help maintain the Image even at very small sizes :)

I have tried this in the past and personally found that the smart-resize option in PSP is generally the best way to go. When using Gimp though I have been disappointed by some of their resizing options so maybe this would be a good time to use it.

I, too have made templates for buildings that are transparent to start with, and edit (with GIMP) in RGB Mode. I usually work in layers, putting the background on one layer and the image on another, so that I can adjust as I see fit. Finally, I merge the layers, make a copy, index it, open the colormap and change the last two colors. Then I paste the copy I made onto that. THEN, if necessary, I add the magneta from the colormap into the still-transparent areas. That way I never get rogue magnetas and the indexing produces truer colors.

I now followed Micaelus advice to resize the original files to keep the palette to create standard background frames (so I can use them for future buildings aswell). After that I c'n'p the resized building from my .png working file into the frames and save them...
For the next icons I will try the other methods descibed to see which one will get the better results. So thanks for all the hints!

There are many "techniques" concerning Graphics work and the point is to learn the programs you want to use and then experiment because we need to use different procedures sometimes to get better results. Not all images will turn out as well with the same procedure... so try several to see what is Best for the Work you are doing.

Top Bottom