How to ensure I start beside my friend

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Multiplayer & PBEM' started by gwood80, May 19, 2006.

1. gwood80

gwood80 Chieftain

I play a lot of multi-player civ with with a friend and a lot of AIs in the game. Unfortunately, we NEVER manage to start beside each other, and are more often than not on completely opposite sides of the map.

Does anyone know of a way to ensure that human players will start near to each other?

2. merandaBlue

merandaBlue Chieftain

Yeah, my old man and I play ona lan all the time with 18 civs and various maps. The only way to ensure we start near each other is to play as a team, then we are almost too close.

Otherwise, it almost seems as though the computer is programmed to put human players at oposit ends of the spectrum.

He always plays Germany,a nd I usually play Russia, when we play togather, we'll be no where near each other, but if either of us play a single player, you can almost bet those two countries are neighbors.

3. gwood80

gwood80 Chieftain

OK cheers mate, that's a bit disappointing :o(

4. ffej

ffej Chieftain

Yes, get on the same team as one another.

A friend of mine and I play the same way you do, both of us teamed up against lots of AI. Normally on a huge map to ensure a very long game :)

We get on teh same teams, and right away we try to figure out what area we want, and try to cut the AI off from getting it. And its right, sometimes the computer puts us a little close, but we normally just expand as naturally from that point. Works quite well actually!

5. Ammar

Ammar King

Doesn't the computer tend to put people of the same general geographic area next to each other? So that France would tend to appear close to Germany, Greece to Persia, etc?